Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

In what real world scenarios would augmented reality be most useful?

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited StatesPosts: 4,038 admin
<body><p>Augmented reality has been trending as one of the top topics in the technology field. Studies are suggesting that AR can be put to use in all types of scenarios, including saving lives, teaching students and even helping with day to day tasks.</p><p></p><p>In what real world scenarios would augmented reality be most useful?</p><p></p><p>Leave some comments below on how AR can be applied to the choice you've made.</p></body>

In what real world scenarios would augmented reality be most useful? 47 votes

Medical
31% 15 votes
Driving
19% 9 votes
School
12% 6 votes
Child Care
0% 0 votes
Shopping
17% 8 votes
Other - Please Specify
19% 9 votes

Comments

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I can see it being useful for driving if there was a way to conveniently display the content (e.g., on a windshield). Imagine if your car's GPS was able to generate a line on the road, similar to that of many games.

imagine if the edges of the road you had to take could be highlighted, or if the lines on the road lain that you need to be on, could get a highlight or a color shift to allow you to easily follow the GPS without the need for audio. You will then be free to catch up on an audio book, or listen to music while on a long trip.

On top of that, AR could be sued to do things like highlight road dangers such as speed and red light cameras which are known to increase car accidents. For example, in NY, corruption has lead to a massive amount of traffic cameras to be added. The end result is that people will drive dangerously to avoid the red light camera. For example, they enter the yellow light  later than you, and in an effort to not get caught, they floor the accelerator, and weave in between traffic (cutting people off)

Other times when the yellow light is visible, people within a certain range behind it will begin to accelerate, but there are people who at the last moment, decide against it, and slam on the brakes.

AR while driving will allow for useful information to be presented to the user without requiring them to take their eyes off of the road to look at a screen on the dashboard, or a GPS mounted to the windshield off to the side.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

Although I agree with razor512 with driving I chose school.  AR has a great potential in the classroom to introduce students to many realistic  environments to help them learn. Whether it be geographical locations across  the globe,  or exploring space or scuba diving exploring sunken ships and the ocean floor.  AR could be utilized in any learning situation where students are stuck in a classroom and lacking a hands on experience, AR can bring a more immersive experience to a students experience. The possibilities are endless.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that it can be useful in the classroom, but when I was thinking about it, I was more leaning towards a VR experience where an entirely new environment can be visualized.

I see AR as more of enhancing the physical environment for a specific and temporary purpose. For example, When i had to get some new cabinets installed in the kitchen, One of the walls had a bunch of plumbing and electrical work in it, but since I had some photos from when the kitchen was being remodeled, I used a projector to display an image on the wall, of what was behind the wall, along with a few highlights for where the best spots would be to screw things in. Not quire a complete AR experience, but the overlay made things easier to work with, as once the image was aligned, there was no need for a stud finder to be used, in addition to constant checking for metal piping and electrical work with it.

Though in that case, a proper AR experience would have been to have glasses which could overlay content across the entire field of view and based on pictures taken previously, simulate some kind of x-ray vision for the walls.

• I choose medical because I feel it would benefit physicians and surgeons to scan a body and find the issues before cutting someone open or just to find out the root cause. Perhaps someone with a work comp issue does not really need back surgery just a muscle or ligament adjustment in the spine or hip to release the pain.  If it was not for a knowledgeable therapeutic massage therapist, I would have had an unnecessary back surgery from a past work injury.

• davedave Ingolstadt, GermanyPosts: 84

'Most useful' is hard to define. The way Microsoft HoloLens will implement it seems like a very good one to me.

You have a lot of options and which one will be the 'most useful' is dependent on which context it's used in.

Medical sounds like a logical choice as it's often connected with saving a life (which definately is the most precious 'thing' on earth). But for me personally it wouldn't have any use as I don't deal with medical tasks.

Looking at this demo says everything: Microsoft HoloLens - Transform your world with holograms - YouTube

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think one could find a use case in each of these fields;

Medical - The area I chose simply for the factor of life savings. Patient's history and current MRI, X-Ray, etc. as part of the field of view, along with other information pushed to the surgeon. In field medical for military surgeons you might even be able to lay in calculated travel of projectiles and shrapnel based on entry and exit wounds etc.

Driving - ​ covered this very well.

School - immersive exploration of the current study topics, geography, history, art. 3D models, interactive conversations with famous people based on information aggregated from all known materials... as well as scientific experimentation, modeling etc.

Child Care - The ability to match a symptom with a possible cause in a non emergency situation while in more critical times getting guided assistance with triage while help is dispatched.

Shopping - interactive fitting rooms, inventory geo-location, custom tailoring measurements

Other - overlays for instruction manuals so as you go it guides you through the process. Same for DIY projects.

- Schematics overlaying actual information guiding you to where an issue might be based on system malfunction. Electronic, HVAC etc.

- Learning a hobby blank canvas but with an overlay of what you want to paint as a guide

- Search and Rescue  - clearest, safest, fastest route through Mountain pass, forrest during inclement weather.

Again, I think the potential is greater than the current scope and will begin to unfold as we incorporate it into our everyday life.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Augmented reality could help break down the barriers between brick and mortar vs online shopping. Imagine that every time you look at a bar code you see reviews of the product, price comparisons for other stores, comparisons with other competing products, etc. There's a term, "showrooming," to describe when people go to brick and mortar stores with no intention of buying the product there, just to see it hands on before they buy it online. Using augmented reality like this would create the opposite phenomenon: using the vast info resources of online retailers (reviews, product info) to enhance the in-store buying experience--we could call it "backrooming," but that has a somewhat sordid ring to it.

• For better interaction between people as you give some information away to ones that see you. You can also express yourself by overlaying some features like bunny ears, tails, changing parts of body, adding clothes, preferences, other objects and works. It could help while doing anything, cooking, playing sports, working, surviving, but it would need high quality depth and image sensor, with lightning fast internet connection. Interesting would be interacting with virtual entity in some real place as if person were there, is impossible to interact that way using anything else. Also most important thing, there should be totally zero lag as it would feel less real(point is for it to be like part of reality).

• mtwaldmanmtwaldman Walled Lake Michigan. Posts: 25

They were ticketing people for driving with Google Glasses on (regardless of if they were turned on or off).   I believe Augmented reality could offer general information on "everything".  You walk around a museum look at an exhibit it pulls up information.  You walk around town, look at a building it pulls up its history, etc.  If you look at something for more than a few seconds you could have it bring up information related to it, and use eye tracking to turn on video, get more info, etc.

• I chose school because using AR is the perfect way to allow students to interact with various objects. Imagine manipulating molecules in chemistry, designing a project in shop, or seeing which keys to press on a piano. There are no limits to how useful this would be in a class setting, the teacher could have a "master object" that everyone watches first, then they are assigned their own "slave object".

• swehesswehes Project Manager United StatesPosts: 111 ✭✭✭✭✭

At my work we had a project to investigate how to us augmented reality for insurance claims processing.

• taotao Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭✭

Augmented reality might be useful for navigation (driving or walking).  Having virtual arrows, or spot markers could make things easier than judging your real world position in relation to a map.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Technology is advancing quickly! It's great that we can use this type of technology to help develop thing that really matter outside of "entertainment". I voted for medical and that seems like the field it could help the most, and I see most agree and voted similarly.

• kgenovakgenova Austin, TXPosts: 6

Shopping is a key frontier for augmented reality.

• bjhiltbrandbjhiltbrand United StatesPosts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the greatest uses for augmented reality for me comes when working on electronics, vehicles, or things like that. Currently, I usually have to have my phone or computer up on a youtube video and keep pausing and playing it as I work on something. It would be really nice to use a wearable like google glass that would allow me to see what I'm working on, while showing schematics as an overlay on top of what I'm looking at. Or to even have that video playing while I'm working, leaving my hands free to do the actual work.

• kingantoniuskingantonius Conroe, TXPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭

I chose "Other" because if it ever gets to where AR glasses look like normal glasses (or better yet, contacts!) then it could come in extremely handy for things like cooking. Not sure of the best way to peel garlic? Watch a YouTube video of it while doing it.

Put a new modular power supply in your computer but waited until AFTER you stuck it in there to try to hook up everything, and you can't remember which plug on the supply goes to which set of cables? Bring up a picture of it right there. That one would have saved me some time a few days ago!

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I chose medical, but I think it could be great for education too.

This discussion has been closed.