Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

What is a rear camera on a tablet worth to you?

2»

Comments

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For me since I do not see much value on them, I do not consider them to be worth more than the component cost. For top of the line smartphones, the camera module usually cost less than $20, and with many tablets having considerably worst cameras, we can assume the cost to be less than $10 in most cases.

• I voted for option 1, $0. I personally do not take pictures with any of our tablets, they are too hefty and I always have my phone with me. It is usually harder to offload pictures/videos from tablets as well.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Rear cameras on tablets are pretty worthless to me. I'd rather see a really nice front facing camera for video chats. Any other camera on a tablet I don't care about. I'd rather pay a little less for a tablet without one, or see the money put towards better improvements on the tablet.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I believe a rear camera is needed on smaller tablets, but should not be required on larger tablets.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't value rear cameras on tablets. I hate when Google Opinion Rewards makes me use my tablet rear camera to snap photos of receipts. 

Although I do understand if people needs a competent camera on their tablet to scan documents. I lose a little bit of respect for people who record moments with their tablets, though.

I would prefer better Front-facing camera  those video chats and interviews.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to ask the same thing. I've never had a request for a receipt before.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It asks me to take a photo of my receipt every time I go into a major

retailer like Target, Office Depot, Walmart. etc. Poll gives me 30 cents.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 10:49 AM jimlloyd40 <[email protected]>

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I get those surveys for those stores all the time, but I've never had to provide a receipt. My guess is that google is pilot testing it with some users as a way to guard against people taking surveys when they never actually went to the store. Already they use a combination of location data and having you choose the right store from a list of random stores to verify, but my guess is that it would be pretty easy to game the system.

• kgenovakgenova Austin, TXPosts: 6

I never use the rear camera on my iPad Air 2.  It is too big and bulky to use as a camera.

• hakimfaroukhakimfarouk Kuala Lumpur, MalaysiaPosts: 2

Rather than the rear, I'd say the front camera is worth more to me for skyping and etc. I have my phone for the daily rear camera shots

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

It isn't handy for much in my opinion. The tablets are too bulky, and awkward to take photos with. I have used mine as a secondary screen with my DSLR, but it was for stationary use.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

On a tablet, camera is the least of my to go things, I really don't mind 5mp rear camera as long the SoC of at least SD652 or better, with minimum if 3gb Ram and 1920x1080p screen resolution. The rest is just gravy.

• tabletalker7tabletalker7 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to say it, but most of the market will agree with these two statements.

1.  What is a 5MP camera worth to me on a tablet?  Nothing.

2.  What is a tablet in general worth to me?  Less than nothing

The tablet market is dead.  Years ago I loved them, but then phones got big enough, android got smooth enough, and cell phone processors got beefed up enough to the point where a tablet is just useless nowadays.  Tablets were great when smartphones had tiny screens.  Those days are long gone now.

One of the best uses for a tablet, is for media consumption.

If you would like, try this with a cheap 9-10 inch tablet. (I am still using my ancient HP touchpad that I got for $100 back in 2011, and have since overclocked the CPU and GPU and cache. I have it running a cyanogenmod based build, and use BSplayer for video, and chrome for the browser.

It makes for a great experience for catching up on a few TV shows while in bed, while also using the web browser. The hover video player can simply be moved to a corner of the screen or move anywhere else as needed.

Furthermore, since I sync most of my media files with my NAS, and BS player has support for network shares, I am able to easily stream my videos (pretty much any format), to the tablet while I surf the web. This makes everything extremely convenient for use around the house.

Wanted to add, that the tablet has a front facing camera that since I got the tablet, probably had a combined total use of less than 20 seconds.

Screenshot_2017-01-08-21-10-11.png

Overall, if you are not using a tablet for really demanding stuff, even a low end one can offer a decent experience, as long as the display is good.

For such a use case, a smartphone is not a very good device, since a the display is too small, and a ~10 inch display on a smartphone will not be very pocket friendly.

It is one of the worst names possible since whatever acronym they think they are going for, is likely far less popular than than the common use for BS. BSPlayer FREE - Android Apps on Google Play

Overall, people put up with the horrible name because no one else seems to be doing a good video player that offers a windowed mode as well as full support for various network share types, along with good hardware acceleration support.

It's absolutely worthless to me. 5MP is pretty low res, and a tablet is inconvenient for taking photos, or videos.

• timmyjimotimmyjimo Seattle, WAPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭

There are few things as rediculous as someone taking pictures with a tablet.

I agree. I bring a real camera if I'm planning on taking pictures, or filming something. The phone is great for candid shots. I've never reached for the tablet. 

This discussion has been closed.