Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

High End Features I've Never Used

13»

Comments

• syaoransyaoran Manassas, VA/Toronto, CanadaPosts: 185 ✭✭

The only one of those options I have ever used and still use is, fast wireless charging.  As far as I am concerned though, it's not a must have feature and the other three I could care less about. 

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I chose NFC payment. I've never used continuum, but have used phones as makeshift PCs on occaision. A relatively fast phone with linux installed, and an unlimited data plan is a useful tool to have. OTG support can give you a basic workstation, but nothing like a full fleged PC.

• chui84chui84 Houston,TxPosts: 28

Might I suggest looking at the HP Elite X3

My experience with Windows Phones left me somewhat jaded. I stuck with two generations of them, and didn't see much progress. The lack of available apps was my biggest issue. The apps that were available were top notch, and didn't suffer from the fragmentation that android does. It did feel like they were about 2 years behind though. I loved my Zunes too, but they were neglected by Microsoft as well.

• clocksclocks ColoradoPosts: 39

Wireless charging is actually something I would really encourage.  USB-C makes it a lot easier with reversible plugs but the ability to come in and "throw down" my phone onto the platter of a Qi charger and go about my business, its quick, its easy.  Sit down at my desk and just put it "here" on the desk instead of somewhere else  and magically its charging.  It limits design features.

• batman101batman101 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like never use NFC payment, ever.  I mean I'm sure a lot of people use the feature but I usually forget it's on my phone.

• batman101batman101 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do the exact same thing it's just quicker to me also using cash or my bank card.

Cash can't get hacked either.

• mrjlwilliamsmrjlwilliams CEO United StatesPosts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

NFC has to be the TOP feature I do not use! As for VR, not interested at ALL.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I think I've used NFC twice to transfer something between two devices since it came out....and that was only to test it. I am interested in VR, not sure how much I will end up using it. Most likely it will be a novelty in my household and short lived. .....I'm still excited to finally unbox Daydream and give it a try! Sooon 

I've tried the VR. I wasn't that impressed. It's still new though. It will improve. I don't think phones are ever going to be the best platform for it.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree ​ I think that phones are the wrong platform to try and push VR on, there is just to many issues with trying to mesh the two of technologies together. Maybe a few years from now it might be different but currently I think its a waste of money and effort. I dont think consumers should have to pay for the R&D and implementation of the experimental Daydream platform. Its used by a small fraction still and there is better things and OEM can spend there time focusing on. Im sure there are others who disagree but when you try to put everything and every feature into one device you drive up the cost. There is no way for an OEM to offer all the features and still keep an attractive price point. NFC cost next to nothing to add into a device and it has many values to it, none of which require the OEM to do much development.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

You bring up some good points but what better place to push VR than to something that 99.9% of the population carries with them every day, smartphones  .

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely thats why companies are doing it. Without smartphones and Daydream the VR platforms would be alot more stagnate for sure. Companies have to justify the 100's of millions being invested to research and develop and work for VR and AR, the easiest way to do this is pass the cost on through other tech to lessen the risk and cost to the company. While I believe this is a great business move and makes alot of sense I think that the general consumer shouldn't have to foot the bill for this experiment. Who knows maybe in a few years Ill be putting my foot in my mouth and will be excited for the Axon 10 or something with a killer VR experience just not at this time. 

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You need to start somewhere.  The tech will continue to improve and get better.  It's the perfect platform.  The googles will becomes glasses, the phones will respond better, 4k will be a capability.  People used to say the same thing when touch screens were added to phones. They it was cameras. Then it was Fingerprint sensors. Let's face it, it not "just" a phone anymore.  It's a Multimedia device.  A culmination will make it stronger and stronger.  Better mobile networks. Better CPU and memory. Better battery tech. It will take time, and even if it goes the way of the "PDA" companies learned along the way. But it all adds up to better experience for the end user in the end.

• monger80monger80 United StatesPosts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I want 16k display with 1TB internal space.  I'll have all my movies and 360 video's and really watch them in HD.  I like VR, its much fun to play with, it be really cool to get to a point, where I can play 1st person shooting game on the go.  Yes I'll trip over my couch and others, but hey,,,,, thats the fun of it....

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not getting any younger myself ​ LOL

I think AR has much more potential in a mobile device. I don't think the tech is to the point where it's anywhere near consumer ready. I could imagine myself wearing a pair of glasses that integrate with the world around me. I can't ever imagine driving to work with VR goggles on.

This discussion has been closed.