Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Calling Nova launcher users to share your gestures usage behavior

yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>One of the most important features of Nova Launcher is gestures. With the help of gestures, users can assign applications using a  pinch in , pinch out, double tap, or swipe up etc. to launch applications. This week, Consumer Lab would like to learn about which Nova Launcher gestures do you frequently use on your phone? Please select one of the options below telling us which one is your most frequently used gesture, and reply with your gestures usage cases and reasoning. There is no correct answer, but please provide sound reasoning to support your selection.</p></body>

Calling Nova launcher users to share your gestures usage behavior 45 votes

Pinch in
2% 1 vote
Pinch out
2% 1 vote
Swipe up
24% 11 votes
Swipe down
24% 11 votes
Double tap
40% 18 votes
Swipe up(Two fingers)
4% 2 votes
Swipe down(Two fingers)
0% 0 votes
Rotate CCW(Two fingers)
0% 0 votes
Rotate CW(Two fingers)
0% 0 votes
OTHER(Please explain in your comment)
2% 1 vote

Comments

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use Swipe Up to access my email app. This is my most visited app that I use and usually the quickest I will exit from so its nice to be able to go the app in one fluid motion.

A very close second is double-tap: either to access settings or turn off the screen.

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Voted Swipe Down for Notification Shade but I also use Double Tap fairly often for Google App.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The main one I've been using is just swipe down from anywhere on the home screen/launcher to access notification... But I think the Axon 7 already have that feature, where the user is able to swipe down on the home screen/launcher to access notification. The ability to swipe down from anywhere on the screen for notification is just convenient, much better than having to reach the top of the screen to swipe down for notifications/quick settings.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

am I missing something or is that not  built into Android?

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use double tap to wake the phone sometimes.  then swipe up to launch certain apps and down for others. 

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Nova Launcher Setup Swipe up - for Google Now

Swipe Down - for notification bar

Double tap - to activate my personal favorite app.

I only use these three gestures, the rest are set to none.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be great idea to team up with (Nova Launcher) teslacoil software team to include Nova launcher as a default launcher on future ZTE phones

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Double-Tap to wake

• My Nova Launcher Setup Swipe up - for Google Now

Swipe Down - for notification bar

Double tap - to quick launch the camera.

All of these just make the overall experience more seamless and convenient for me. Obviously swiping down from anywhere on the screen bests swiping from the top for notifications. I often use Google now so the swipe up is a perfect gesture to pull it up quickly. And the double tap for the camera was a familiar quick launch from my last galaxy phone. Would work better if the camera launched faster but it's still great

• bjhiltbrandbjhiltbrand United StatesPosts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

It didn't used to be, which is the number one feature I loved about Nova Launcher. But, I think Android natively supports it now.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use 4 gestures :

* Double tap = Screen Lock / DttS  ( Selected in Poll )

* Swipe Down = Expand Notification

* Swipe Up = Settings

* Pinch in = Show previews

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Double tap for me.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use swipe up to access the app drawer, Pixel-launcher style--it's the one UI feature from my old Amazon Fire Phone that I actually liked. Other than that, I don't often use Nova's gestures.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I don't use too many gestures like that on my phone.
    I feel it causes too many other issues when being misinterpreted as a gesture you didn't intend.
    I do leave the default "swipe up (two fingers)" (<-voted) engaged to launch the Nova settings,
    but as far as accessing any specific apps, I just have my most important shortcuts on home screen
    and then just browse the app drawer when needed.
    Sometimes 'convenience features' end up being more inconvenient than just doing things a more practical way.

I do like to use the DTTW feature on my Axon 7, but that's not really related to Nova Launcher.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Double tap to lock

swipe down expands notifications

swipe up goes into nova settings

pinch in for recent apps

• mi_lionmi_lion Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭

Using DTTW  

Short press of Home for old Google now & reading of suggested content

Long Press home for new Google Assistant. {Nova Launcher non-paid version}

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Swipe down is my favorite gesture and I use it to bring down the notification tray just like you do on your built in launcher. My only other used gesture is double tap and that's to put the display to sleep. I also like when I can use a double tap to wake the screen which you also already do.

This discussion has been closed.