Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

How do you like to access your APP drawer (APP tray)

yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>Consumer Labs would like to learn about how you like to access the APP drawer (APP tray)? As you may know, to access the app drawer on a Google Pixel, instead of tapping the APP drawer (App tray) icon, you can simply swipe up from the bottom of the screen. Do you prefer the new gesture to access the APP drawer (APP tray)?</p><p></p><p>Please select one of the options below and leave your comments on the reasons why or why not you prefer to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access the APP drawer (APP tray)</p><p></p><p>There are no right or wrong answers in this survey... please feel free to share your thoughts with us.</p></body>

How do you like to access your APP drawer (APP tray) 77 votes

Swap up from the bottom of the screen
45% 35 votes
Tap the icon
35% 27 votes
Doesn’t matter
19% 15 votes

Comments

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I picked the Pixel swipe up method. l'm using the Google Pixel Launcher that I side loaded and I like the small icon to access the app drawer. Actually, you can either swipe up or just touch the icon and access the app drawer.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I chose swipe up option, which is what the Pixel launcher uses, as I am getting used to it from using Nova Launcher with Pixel layout. Also, it does seem like it's the trend to have the app drawer open from swiping up now as opposed to having an app drawer icon; as Samsung seems to be doing it with the Galaxy S8/+. I guess it will be nice to have the option to choose which option works best for the user.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the icon method as it is faster than swiping up on the home screen. Other than that, since android is very customizable, why not make it so that users can select which method that like best. there is no need to force users to use a specific method when both options can be open to them.

• wookie48wookie48 Muncie, indianaPosts: 2

I use next launcher, have a gesture set for a double tap to open app drawer.  I love it, I think it should be on all phones.  Two quick taps anywhere on the home screen, and off you go.

• kalashkalash San Francisco, CAPosts: 0

What's an app drawer?

But seriously - pie control.

Pie Control - Android Apps on Google Play

I got addicted to pie with CM, then did LMT when I had root.

Now that I'm rootless (and now that LMT doesn't allow for swipeover them long hold for the secondary button selection), I've gone to this app.

It's niche. It's different.

And I'm crippled without it.

I've had the same shortcuts on every phone I've had for years now. I have 37 instantly accessible apps, and... Oh. I do have an app drawer. One folder (long press on the switch windows button) that has all the stuff I never use.

OK... Use once a week or less...

I also use TSF shell - and the back button (on the pie)  from the home screen takes me to the app drawer. But that's a very rare occurrence.

• wookie48wookie48 Muncie, indianaPosts: 2

My double tab app drawer is basically my backup.  I don't have as many instantly accessible app as you, but I run KLWP as my wallpaper.  Anyone who hasn't checked it out, they should.  Bit of a learning curve, but can make your phone truly unique, and very functional b

• 14blank4014blank40 CanadaPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've been using Nova launcher for a while now, and swiping up to access just seems more natural for me now, it's easier in my opinion. You could make it so that all you have to do is tap the arrow for the app drawer is brought up as a way to give consumers choice.

Well that's a good way to waste an entire day. Thanks for that =P

So yes...  Cool. I think the difference with the pie thing is that you don't have to go back to the home screen, or the list of open apps. It's really made it so that I only use the home screen to tell all the open apps have been closed.

Klwp looks interesting. And I'll probably go a little crazier with it. It may let me dump tsf shell (though I'm as attached to that - gesture, double tap, lock screen, and folders in the app drawer, hiding apps, and a few other things - almost as much as the pie thing) and go to stock.

To be really fair to this discussion though, I do need to give it mi-pop thing a try for a couple days.

Ok. Never mind on that. Mi-pop replicates the pie stuff, and isn't as nice (the always visible button. *shudder*).

It's basically pie SUPER lite - no app launching, and only hardware button replacements. It makes sense that it's not really part of this conversation.

I've only had the Axon 7 for 2 days, and the first one and a half, the play store didn't work.

Still finding things, but I've gotten so used to my customizations that I haven't poked around as much as I used to.

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always set mine for swipe up. I leave the icon too, but rarely use it. Being able to change the way it operates is more important to me than how. Customization is one of my favorite parts of Android. If I wanted one size fits all I'd buy an iPhone. Setting a fixed UI is a horrible idea in my opinion.

Screenshot_20170416-121247.png

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had to go with tap the icon. I've been using Nova Launcher for awhile and I enabled the swipe up and still have the icon. I've used the swipe up here and there but occasionally I found it didn't work or misinterpreted my swipe and would think I clicked an icon. I'm sure with more practice I could get better at it, but instead I just went back to tapping the icon about 90% of the time. It was just easier and more reliable for me. 

Screenshot_2017-04-16-12-07-29.jpg

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,214 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

i found that because I got a case, tapping the icon is a bit easier. Without the case, swiping is actually faster an easier.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I always use the icon method. I find that swiping functions tend to get activated accidentally too often and that's annoying,
    so I don't use too many swipe functions.

• I would rather tap the icon. I'm terrible at swiping in the right direction sometimes so it would be more convenient for me.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I dont care either way.

With the pixel method I get an extra icon to place on the homerow but I risk triggering my swipe up gesture (gmail) by mistake

With tradtional home icon, i lose an extra placement but I get certainty of just pressing a button and besides I can swipe up from that icon for another feature.

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't matter to me just don't take away the app drawer

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,827 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of the swipe method, but I have an old habit of just hitting the icon all the time.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

recently started using the swipe up option and I love it, but as other have stated I would rather the choice than being forced to use one method

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had problems with it sticking too. That's why I left the icon.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've gotta tap that icon!!  Lol!

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont care what method you guys decide to go with. I installed Nova launcher on all my devices and set up the way i like it. I voted for Pixel Launcher method aka swipe up to app drawer.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a huge preference either way, but I guess I like swiping up. I first had that feature on my old Amazon Fire Phone--one of the few UI features I actually liked about that phone. I think I like the sense of spatial continuity it gives me, as though my app drawer were "under" the home screen just waiting to be pulled up, as opposed to tapping the icon, which makes the app drawer feel spatially disconnected from the home screen.

• taotao Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭✭

When in an app and needing to access another, swiping up could be more useful.  It is a pain to have to minimize one app to get to the home screen to open another (then press the button to look through running apps and choose the one to go back to).

• I like to simply tap the icon.  The App icon is just sitting there no matter what screen I am on, and that makes it convenient to just tap it.  The swiping method for some reason doesn't sit well with me.  It is quirky swiping and ending up somewhere that you don't want to be.

I'm using the Google pixel launcher and you can either tap or swipe the app drawer button. I like it's small size as well.

• Thanks for responding dnewman007.  I'll have to check out Google pixel launcher.  I'm a real Google fan, so maybe I'll like it.  What do you really like most about the Google pixel launcher?  There may be some other benefits that I need to know about.

The Pixel launcher really isn't anything special as far as features go. It is fast, battery efficient and straightforward​. I believe you have to get the one that was released Dec. 5th for it to work on the A7. You can get it at apkmirror. com

This discussion has been closed.