Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Phone not waking up; lots of "Stock android has stopped working"; home button wonky

Over the last week this phone has gone from awesome to annoying to almost intolerable.

Two weeks ago, it wouldn't wake up with home button press. Sometimes it would take a hard reset, or plugging in the recharging cable (phone still had over 80% battery), or just pressing power button, or 5-10 presses of the home button. But then, it just started being really difficult to wake up at all. Home button, power button, plugging in...nothing would work consistently. Then it started freezing apps and displaying a "stock android has stopped" message. It's been doing this for about a week. Hard resets and cache clearing haven't stopped the issues.

This isn't cool, and it definitely isn't the level of reliability I expect from my phones.

Comments

• muniz81muniz81 San Diego CAPosts: 2 ✭✭

:/ I've had a few issues of the same type but nothing like you. It's clear that ZTE cares nothing for it's customer base, even my axon7 has only received 1 update

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2017 8:39AM

At this point you may want to contact support to see what your options are. The support page can be found in the link below, with option for calling or live chat as well. Since you have already hard reset and wiped cache partition, this may be your next choice. Thanks!

https://www.zteusa.com/support_page/

One other thing you could try is backing out all of your apps and reinstalling them one by one to see if an app is causing issues with the device.

@muniz81 said:
    :/ I've had a few issues of the same type but nothing like you. It's clear that ZTE cares nothing for it's customer base, even my axon7 has only received 1 update

@muniz81, the Axon 7 has been one of the most updated phones from 2016. Multiple versions of Marshmallow, multiple versions of Nougat, and other misc. fixes. It's been a little bit since the last one, so I hope another one is coming soon. The one thing I wish was better was the security patches, but Google is handling that moving forward with Android O.

• I have had this issue for months and finally figured out what the issue was (in my case). The issue is because of an app that is not working correctly with your phone's operating system (Andriod). I have heard that it can be caused by more than one app and some widgets. In my case, it was the Facebook app. My phone does not allow me to uninstall the FB app so here is what I did:

1. Reset my phone to factory settings and DID NOT restore from backup and set up as new device. This means you will need to install one app at a time. This is how I figured out which app was the problem. When I installed and updated Facebook then the Stock Android errors started up again. You may be able to just do step #2 & #3 and not do a reset first and see if that works.

2. Do not update the Facebook app or use it on your phone. If your phone auto-updates apps, change this setting in the Playstore settings to not auto-update.

3. If your Facebook app is already updated, go into Settings/Apps on your phone and find the Facebook app. Click on the hamburger button (3 dots) and select uninstall updates. Then don't use the FB app on your phone. If you can uninstall it, then do that.

For those of you who can't live without Facebook this is a bummer. I rarely use it and can just use FB on another device or PC so I am just happy that my phone is not giving me that error all the time.

Keep in mind that this may not be the only app that causes this problem but from what I have found, the problem is caused by an app or a widget. First try uninstalling your FB app updates then try doing what I did, reset to factory settings, do not reset from backup and instead set up as new device, update and/or install one app at a time while giving some time in between to see if the error starts up again. Once it does, whichever app you most recently installed and/or updated is the culprit. Uninstall that app or uninstall its updates if it is one you are unable to remove from your phone.

Hope this helps everyone.

• acohannacohann PascagoulaPosts: 1 ✭✭✭

@smokefairy420 said:
    I have had this issue for months and finally figured out what the issue was (in my case). The issue is because of an app that is not working correctly with your phone's operating system (Andriod). I have heard that it can be caused by more than one app and some widgets. In my case, it was the Facebook app. My phone does not allow me to uninstall the FB app so here is what I did:

1. Reset my phone to factory settings and DID NOT restore from backup and set up as new device. This means you will need to install one app at a time. This is how I figured out which app was the problem. When I installed and updated Facebook then the Stock Android errors started up again. You may be able to just do step #2 & #3 and not do a reset first and see if that works.

2. Do not update the Facebook app or use it on your phone. If your phone auto-updates apps, change this setting in the Playstore settings to not auto-update.

3. If your Facebook app is already updated, go into Settings/Apps on your phone and find the Facebook app. Click on the hamburger button (3 dots) and select uninstall updates. Then don't use the FB app on your phone. If you can uninstall it, then do that.

For those of you who can't live without Facebook this is a bummer. I rarely use it and can just use FB on another device or PC so I am just happy that my phone is not giving me that error all the time.

Keep in mind that this may not be the only app that causes this problem but from what I have found, the problem is caused by an app or a widget. First try uninstalling your FB app updates then try doing what I did, reset to factory settings, do not reset from backup and instead set up as new device, update and/or install one app at a time while giving some time in between to see if the error starts up again. Once it does, whichever app you most recently installed and/or updated is the culprit. Uninstall that app or uninstall its updates if it is one you are unable to remove from your phone.

My phone did the exact same thing last night
    I am sending it back to ZTE it is only 6 months old ????

• amantomamantom New YorkPosts: 5 ✭✭✭

I am also facing the same issue. It's just 3 months old.Does anyone know the process to send it back to ZTE for repair/replacement.

• nunyabidnessnunyabidness galaxy far far away...Posts: 1 ✭✭

This just happened to me today too. I've never had a problem with my phone until now. I've been using Facebook every day since day one, so I know that's not the issue. I was using the browser earlier today just fine then later today getting the screen blinking on and off. Going to have to do factory reset; I too will be calling ZTE tomorrow to find out what I can do to replace it. I just bought it in March.

• Mine started doing the same this morning. Even saying the Home screen launcher keeps crashing and asking for a different one. Tried Nova, MiFavor and stock android, but still the same issue. I did a wipe and reinstall with the same issues. Ugh! I've loved this phone since I got it, had no issues until today. I had to keep trying to get to the recovery boot, the system would keep locking up and freezing on the Blade logo if it didn't make it to the login screen.

@acohann said:

@smokefairy420 said:
    I have had this issue for months and finally figured out what the issue was (in my case). The issue is because of an app that is not working correctly with your phone's operating system (Andriod). I have heard that it can be caused by more than one app and some widgets. In my case, it was the Facebook app. My phone does not allow me to uninstall the FB app so here is what I did:

My phone did the exact same thing last night
    I am sending it back to ZTE it is only 6 months old ????

Did you got your phone back after the repair. Is it resolved?

• mythosazmythosaz AZPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posting this in the third thread in a row, installing Facebook DEFINITELY breaks my brand new V8 pro.

If you install it, Play Store crashes, the launcher starts to freak out, and if you reboot, it'll never finish booting. [Sometimes it'll almost boot, and then immediately restart.]

wiped my phone (and cache) twice last night. Lost my new Google Authenticator install.

Has anybody contacted facebook yet?

• This is not an official fix, but today my daughter experienced the same issue, after months of no issues. Nothing seemed to correct it. After trying many things, I had her Factory Restore, and then immediately turn off automatic updating of Apps in the play store. After this the phone is back to normal. I definitely believe there is something in one of the App updates that isn't agreeing with the V8 Pro. I have also reported it.

• HmonGrL123HmonGrL123 SacramentoPosts: 4 ✭✭✭

@amantom said:
    I am also facing the same issue. It's just 3 months old.Does anyone know the process to send it back to ZTE for repair/replacement.

Call ZTE and they'll give you the steps to send it in. DO NOT SEND IT WITHOUT AN RMA # (Returned Merchandise Authorization #). And when you are ready to send it in, make sure you label everything with the RMA #

• HmonGrL123HmonGrL123 SacramentoPosts: 4 ✭✭✭

No Facebook until the next Blade or the next Facebook update. My phone works now

• TroubadorTroubador WoodhavenPosts: 3 ✭✭

I have been having my ZTE Blade V8 pro stuck at the Blade splash screen. I recently did a factory reset did not allow my account to be restored from the cloud and started fresh. I am installing apps one at a time and trying things out before continuing. I also turned off auto update in the play store. I have not installed Facebook but in my last factory reset when Facebook was installed it would not launch. Although prior to the issue Facebook ran ok. Crossing fingers... phone hasn't crashed...yet

• Obie25Obie25 AvonPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely Facebook app. I loved the phone for six months then all the same problems mentioned above. Stock Android not responding. Reboot phone stuck at splash screen. Did a complete wipe. Installed apps one at a time. Once installed Facebook it all happened again. So frustrating. Had to wipe and start again.

Even I feel its something to do with last Facebook update. After 3 factory reset I setup the phone without FB app and its seem to be working fine until now. Though already raised a repair request with ZTE. Not sure whether they will be helpful if it is an app issue.

• jcsnipe007jcsnipe007 Pilot knob missouri 63663Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

Same problem. 1 day old, updated and crashed. I am pissed.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jcsnipe007 said:

@jcsnipe007 updated what and crashed? A system update? The Facebook app?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@jcsnipe007 said:

No. Phone crashed to v8 pro screen won't do **** at all. Had to spend hours figuring it out did a factory resett and i gotta be up and drive 90 miles at 4 am. I am pissed.

@jcsnipe007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@jcsnipe007 said:

No. Phone crashed to v8 pro screen won't do **** at all. Had to spend hours figuring it out did a factory resett and i gotta be up and drive 90 miles at 4 am. I am pissed.

And it 1231 am my first zte, gift to fiancee gor her birthday. I am so let down. 240 bucks pissed away

Zte fix this bug like right now. Zte blade v8 pro

It crashed from auto updates. Turned them off after 2 hours youtubing. So people know v8 pro hold down down volume button and power button till boot screen shows up, then go down to factory reset. Don't lose contacts or anything just apps. Then immediately go to google play and your google settings, have your email pen ready cause you will need it on reset. Go to your google account settings and turn off auto updates or you will be screwed again.

@jcsnipe007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@jcsnipe007 said:

So what happened after the factory reset?

Uptade on phone, tried messenger, screen just flashed. Same thing it did before it crashed. Leaving fb and messenger alone. I am very upset with zte. And no support because it was late. I was an hour and 20 minutes late for work. Can't make a long drive with no phone.

• stoy75stoy75 Tampa FLPosts: 11 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately we've all fallen victim to a company that made a decent product, hyped it up, put it on the market, and then abandoned it. We have no security updates. An OS that was out of date at release time. And from what you see here will begin losing the ability to use basic Android apps.

• stoy75stoy75 Tampa FLPosts: 11 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2017 9:43AM

The best part of all. Due to ZTE negligence my phone crashed 24 hours before Irma hit here in Florida. Nothing like nearly being without a cell phone with an impending natural disasters. They endangered my life and my families.

Thanks ZTE

edited September 14, 2017 10:52AM

@jcsnipe007 said:
    Uptade on phone, tried messenger, screen just flashed. Same thing it did before it crashed. Leaving fb and messenger alone. I am very upset with zte. And no support because it was late. I was an hour and 20 minutes late for work. Can't make a long drive with no phone.

Are you saying that the screen only flashes using Facebook or messenger @jcsnipe007?

• adammckayadammckay Harrisburg, PAPosts: 9 ✭✭✭✭

I had the same problem reported on this thread. The steps to recreate are:

1. Factory Reset a phone (or get one out of the box) to rule out all other possibilities
    2. Install the Facebook app
    3. Reboot the phone.
    4. You will be in a permanent boot loop.

To fix the problem, repeat the steps above skipping step 2.

I wish I understood more about what the problem is. As I understand, Android apps are supposed to be locked out of the root filesystem. So how can a facebook app do something to my root file system so that the phone can't boot? This is a major security hole and only a matter of time until someone does this on purpose. Does anyone know any more about the underlying issue? Are there any ZTE technical people on this thread to comment?

So did Facebook send out an update a week ago or so? If so, wouldn't this be linked to a Facebook issue, not ZTE?