Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Post your random thoughts here.

jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 11,802 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Some of us received a private message today that we're not allowed to comment in a thread unless it's specifically about that thread. So every post must be a response to the thread. Since it's 100% business all the time I started this thread so that we can continue our friendly conversations here.
I'll start by asking @westside80 what do you think about the Galaxy S8 you received today? And I would really like to ask @musicdjm what's up with you? @hollap and @dnewman007 please chime in.

Comments

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2017 8:01AM

Jim, I think it was great idea to start this thread. We all tend to hijack threads every now and then.
    :wink:

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nearly every thread in this community has been hijacked at one point or another. It's just the way it happens. Some people don't like it when you hijack a thread and they hate it and remove messages when you hijack it by talking about another device. Oh well, this thread seems to be a safe place, we'll see.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Some of us received a private message today that we're not allowed to comment in a thread unless it's specifically about that thread. So every post must be a response to the thread. Since it's 100% business all the time I started this thread so that we can continue our friendly conversations here.
    I'll start by asking @westside80 what do you think about the Galaxy S8 you received today? And I would really like to ask @musicdjm what's up with you? @hollap and @dnewman007 please chime in.

I love the s8 so far. It was overwhelming at first because there's just so many settings and things you can do, even more so than MiFavor and EMUI. I see why people say that Samsung has a heavy skin, it's because they do. I'm super happy with my purchase so far. Only thing I don't really care for is the fingerprint scanner. It's kinda of weird to use and takes some getting used to. I'd give anything if it was on the front. I'm trying to be really careful with it because I don't have a tempered glass for it yet and it'll probably be a while before I get one because the only one I've seen that sticks to the whole screen is the Whitestone Dome and it's $45. It's also a crazy install and you only get one shot. I hope I don't drop it before I can get a tempered glass. I do have it in an Incipio Dual Pro case though. It's a great phone. It's fast and it's beautiful. No words on battery life yet but through setting the phone up and using it pretty much constantly last night, it looks like it's going to be pretty good. I'm still getting used to the phone. It's my first Samsung so I was a little bit lost. I still haven't tried out the Iris scanner or Samsung pay. My bank didn't support Android Pay so I'm not sure if I'll be able to use Samsung pay or not. Haven't tried it yet. For $595 I'm very pleased with my purchase. Being able to theme the whole phone is awesome, just like Huawei and Honor phones. I went with a free black theme for the moment. I'll have another update once I use it more and get more familiar with it.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 11,802 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:
    Nearly every thread in this community has been hijacked at one point or another. It's just the way it happens. Some people don't like it when you hijack a thread and they hate it and remove messages when you hijack it by talking about another device. Oh well, this thread seems to be a safe place, we'll see.

That's true but I think that the subject matter of the thread was always dealt with first. That small talk was what made this a Community to me. Friends just conversing in a friendly way.

edited July 18, 2017 10:22AM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

That's true but I think that the subject matter of the thread was always dealt with first. That small talk was what made this a Community to me. Friends just conversing in a friendly way.

Well, we're in a safe place now, so we can talk about whatever we want.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I love the s8 so far. It was overwhelming at first because there's just so many settings and things you can do, even more so than MiFavor and EMUI. I see why people say that Samsung has a heavy skin, it's because they do. I'm super happy with my purchase so far. Only thing I don't really care for is the fingerprint scanner. It's kinda of weird to use and takes some getting used to. I'd give anything if it was on the front. I'm trying to be really careful with it because I don't have a tempered glass for it yet and it'll probably be a while before I get one because the only one I've seen that sticks to the whole screen is the Whitestone Dome and it's $45. It's also a crazy install and you only get one shot. I hope I don't drop it before I can get a tempered glass. I do have it in an Incipio Dual Pro case though. It's a great phone. It's fast and it's beautiful. No words on battery life yet but through setting the phone up and using it pretty much constantly last night, it looks like it's going to be pretty good. I'm still getting used to the phone. It's my first Samsung so I was a little bit lost. I still haven't tried out the Iris scanner or Samsung pay. My bank didn't support Android Pay so I'm not sure if I'll be able to use Samsung pay or not. Haven't tried it yet. For $595 I'm very pleased with my purchase. Being able to theme the whole phone is awesome, just like Huawei and Honor phones. I went with a free black theme for the moment. I'll have another update once I use it more and get more familiar with it.

Nice. And I watched the Whitestone Dome video. I had no idea that stuff like that existed. Do you see any lag between screen changes or anything?

@dnewman007 you have had Samsung phones before right? How do you compare the old TouchWiz to the new UI that @westside80 said is now called Samsung Experience? Do you notice any lag between screen changes etc?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Nice. And I watched the Whitestone Dome video. I had no idea that stuff like that existed. Do you see any lag between screen changes or anything?

No lag whatsoever as of now. This is the nicest phone I've ever owned. Almost scared to take it out the house. Lol

For everyone, anytime just come to this thread to discuss anything. No censorship in this thread but please remember the Community rules still apply. No swearing or name calling.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No lag whatsoever as of now. This is the nicest phone I've ever owned. Almost scared to take it out the house. Lol

You're okay with the heavy UI (Samsung Experience)? Any lag anywhere?

@jimlloyd40 said:
    For everyone, anytime just come to this thread to discuss anything. No censorship in this thread but please remember the Community rules still apply. No swearing or name calling.

I should have added that if @westside80 calls me an idiot or whatever I'm okay with it. :D

• musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MAPosts: 2,430 mod

@jimlloyd40 not much, just shorting through threads. How are things with you?

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

(moderated) right Jim!

@musicdjm said:
    @jimlloyd40 not much, just shorting through threads. How are things with you?

Pretty good. Just struggling with the heat in Phoenix this year. We've already hit 120 degrees twice and have had I don't even know how many days over 110. It finally rained after 3 months. Right after a rain it literally feels like an outdoor sauna.

What's up gentlemen? Good idea to start a separate post for chatter. @jimlloyd40, I'll have you know I switched back from Gboard to SwiftKey. SwiftKey just seems to do suggestions better than Gboard does. Both are head and shoulders above TouchPal.

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

(moderated) right Jim!

You (moderated) got that right. :D

@hollap said:
    What's up gentlemen? Good idea to start a separate post for chatter. @jimlloyd40, I'll have you know I switched back from Gboard to SwiftKey. SwiftKey just seems to do suggestions better than Gboard does. Both are head and shoulders above TouchPal.

I agree @hollap. I've been using SwiftKey for years and it knows me so well. I've mentioned before that 100 % of what I've typed in this forum has been done using SwiftKey. @hollap you should try SwiftKey Beta. I've never found a bug with it and it has more themes than the regular app. I particularly like the one that's called Phosphorus. It stands out in sunlight real well.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

I agree @hollap. I've been using SwiftKey for years and it knows me so well. I've mentioned before that 100 % of what I've typed in this forum has been done using SwiftKey. @hollap you should try SwiftKey Beta. I've never found a bug with it and it has more themes than the regular app. I particularly like the one that's called Phosphorus. It stands out in sunlight real well.

Thanks for the tip @jimlloyd40, I'll check it out!

Android Central just named the HTC U11 the best Android phone for under $700. That's considering the listed price not sale prices.

edited July 18, 2017 2:10PM

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @dnewman007 you have had Samsung phones before right? How do you compare the old TouchWiz to the new UI that @westside80 said is now called Samsung Experience? Do you notice any lag between screen changes etc?

@jimlloyd40 The new UI is much better. The settings are more stock like than the old one. The S8 does have a ton of settings/adjustments. Once you use it a little bit it's really not bad. Sammy did a great job on this device.

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@jimlloyd40 The new UI is much better. The settings are more stock like than the old one. The S8 does have a ton of settings/adjustments. Once you use it a little bit it's really not bad. Sammy did a great job on this device.

Are you noticing any lag like between screen changes etc?

• wings4anniewings4annie Orange,caPosts: 672 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there is going to be a 6 inch flagship device? Otherwise I was thinking of getting the Samsung 8.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Are you noticing any lag like between screen changes etc?

No not at all.

@hollap said:

I disagree. Gboard is much better at suggestions, with swipe typing, which is what I do. I'm not sure about the rest so I guess I could say I "half" disagree with you. Lol

@wings4annie said:
    Does anyone know if there is going to be a 6 inch flagship device? Otherwise I was thinking of getting the Samsung 8.

Nobody knows unless it's the new Pixel. I hear it's supposed to have a big screen.

edited July 18, 2017 6:55PM

@jimlloyd40 I can officially say that the battery life on the s8 is a BEAST! I'm already over 4hrs. SOT with 44% battery left, and that's with the screen set to 35% brightness, always on display set to "On" and 2k resolution. I take it that the SD835 must be a lot better when it comes to battery life. I could only imagine that the s8+ would be even better. I'm so glad I decided to get the s8. It was about $100 more dollars than my old OP5 but man it's worth it. The only things I don't like about it is I wish the speaker was on the left side instead of the right because I keep wanting to cover it with my pinky and the fp scanner takes some getting used to. Other than that, it's awesome! Also, I finally got my refund for my OP5. Got the email earlier. Paypal shows that I've been refunded but it's still not showing in my bank yet, or my Paypal balance. It should show up in a couple days, hopefully. A side note, s8 cell signal is good too. It's not as good as the cell signal on my Honor 8 but it's within a couple dBm's. It;s much better than the OP5. Much better. Speaker on the s8 isn't that great, in fact, I don't even think it's as good as the one on the OP5.

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

I disagree. Gboard is much better at suggestions, with swipe typing, which is what I do. I'm not sure about the rest so I guess I could say I "half" disagree with you. Lol

I've always liked Gboard.

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

It's improved so much over the past. In my opinion, no other keyboard comes close. I have Gboard on all my phone's.

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

@dnewman007 What brightness level do you keep your s8+ at? I use an app called Auto Best Brightness Level because it can tell me the actual number percentage that my brightness is at.

edited July 19, 2017 12:01AM

I wish Z-Community would copy the OnePlus community and how they have a raffle and you can win things by using your points. I've yet to win anything but it's really cool.