Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

AR Consumer Research Survey

13»

Comments

• mrjlwilliamsmrjlwilliams CEO United StatesPosts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@mrjlwilliams said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@mrjlwilliams said:
    I wonder if ZTE is working on a super AR device, that would be so nice. AR is not really popular in the mobile world yet, because there are not very many devices using it. Also, there is not much behind it right now on smartphones. But when and if it does take off, I'm hoping for a really nicely priced and beefy device from ZTE.

I wonder if they're working on the Axon 8. It's getting ridiculous that nothing has been announced. The A7 was announced on May 27, 2016 and was released July 27th, 2016 so it's a year old now.

I wonder the same thing. It's just very suspicious to me that they haven't announced anything yet. They keep putting out new mid-range phones but no flagship. I mean, what could be taking them so long? At this point, we're looking at a Halloween launch.

Either the A8 isn't very important to ZTE or they're planning on something that is a big change from the A7. ZTE 's bread and butter is the budget priced carrier phones and maybe they didn't do very well profit wise with the A7. The Alcatel follow up to the excellent Idol 4S was an Idol 5S that is a step down in specs. I hope that the same fate doesn't await the A8.

Actually the Axon 7 is not their bread and butter, and they are running the prepaid field more than one might think. They are making so many prepaid phones, and they will continue to do so because that is where they are making the most profit. The Axon 7 did not sell as well as people think, and that is another reason why they might be taking it slow to produce a better version for next year. But if you search, you will find that ZTE is making more profits with carrier deals and prepaid. They also are making a boat load of funds from other places in the industry.

That's exactly what I said in the post that you quoted of mine. Just read the part about ZTE 's bread and butter. It's nice to know that you agree with me.

Yes sir. I do, lol...great things are coming next year, and I think it's gonna come down to marketing for ZTE. Which is always the case for the underdogs in the industry.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@mrjlwilliams said:
    I'm talking about specs. If they release the A8 right now, we know what it will have. SD835, and 4GB RAM. That's what everyone else is doing except for Oneplus and a few others. ZTE is going to do something nice next year, and I'm hoping it lives up to the hype. Because today, all we are getting is different hardware, same internals. I want more than that. Also, the design of the S8 is not so great to me, and many other people. The LG design is very solid, as it has a more premium feel to it. Which is what ZTE will need to do with the A8 if and when it comes out next year. > @jimlloyd40 said:

@mrjlwilliams what did you mean "Look at the current market, it's all the same"? The Samsung S8 and LG G6 are a pretty dramatic new design.

That's what OnePlus has also. From what you said you're thinking the A8 isn't coming out until next year? With regards to the specifications the A8 is never going to have something that no one else does. All the flagship phones will have the same basic specs, processor, screen etc.

Those dual front speakers are key, and really good hardware. Cameras can also be done right, and it can take it to the next level with the right marketing and price. They can win, if done right. But yep, no A8 this year sir.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,423 admin

This is getting off topic..

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,423 admin

@jimlloyd40 said:

@aerospaceman said:

@aerospaceman You sound as though your serious. If so, please explain. Aren't the comments all based on consumer type responses?

This is for everyone in this thread. It was posted as an AR survey and asked to only post if you had questions about the survey. Our CL team will have to read all these posts that have nothing to d

Apologies sir. We will move on. > @aerospaceman said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@aerospaceman said:

@aerospaceman You sound as though your serious. If so, please explain. Aren't the comments all based on consumer type responses?

This is for everyone in this thread. It was posted as an AR survey and asked to only post or email if you had questions about the survey. Our CL team will have to read all these posts that have nothing to do with the survey they put up. Just helps them out when they don't have to read thru posts that have no feedback intended for their purpose.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@mrjlwilliams said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@mrjlwilliams said:
    I'm talking about specs. If they release the A8 right now, we know what it will have. SD835, and 4GB RAM. That's what everyone else is doing except for Oneplus and a few others. ZTE is going to do something nice next year, and I'm hoping it lives up to the hype. Because today, all we are getting is different hardware, same internals. I want more than that. Also, the design of the S8 is not so great to me, and many other people. The LG design is very solid, as it has a more premium feel to it. Which is what ZTE will need to do with the A8 if and when it comes out next year. > @jimlloyd40 said:

@mrjlwilliams what did you mean "Look at the current market, it's all the same"? The Samsung S8 and LG G6 are a pretty dramatic new design.

That's what OnePlus has also. From what you said you're thinking the A8 isn't coming out until next year? With regards to the specifications the A8 is never going to have something that no one else does. All the flagship phones will have the same basic specs, processor, screen etc.

Those dual front speakers are key, and really good hardware. Cameras can also be done right, and it can take it to the next level with the right marketing and price. They can win, if done right. But yep, no A8 this year sir.

The speakers are key for me also. And the cameras are going to come down to processing which ZTE hasn't figured out. With regards to marketing that's the Achilles heel for a lot of companies. No one can compete with Samsung in marketing because of the extreme cost. And ZTE won't get the carrier support that Samsung gets. HTC has the same problem marketing the wonderful U11. They just can't afford it.
    You say that there won't be an A8 this year with such authority it begs the question "Are you privy to some inside information"?
    ZTE needs to get the A8 out the sooner the better because they are losing market relevance as time goes by.
    If the A8 had come out on a normal yearly process I would have been a purchaser. I got tired of waiting and purchased the U11 and @westside80 who was interested in the A8 might not have bought the S8. @dnewman007 bought the S8 for himself and his wife. That is 4 sales that the A8 lost to people who have been in this Community from the beginning.

Nope, I've got no information you don't have. I'm just speaking on what has happened so far with ZTE, simple math for me. Anyway, AR is what I'm concerned about with ZTE if they do have something coming. I'm sure it will have it's place, compared to other OEMs when it takes off. Price will be interesting.

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If ZTE kept the price under $600, AR would be a fantastic addition. Apple devices are going to have AR capabilities with iOS 11 which will mainstream the technology, and I feel ZTE knows this and wants to capitalize at the right time. Realistically, a ZTE device with Tango and flagship specs would be the only viable alternative to AR on the iPhone 8, unless you want a SD821 or SD652 device which is last years specs. Problem is, who's going to shell out flagship $ for a ZTE device, regardless of what it comes with? I guess Huawei is having success doing just that, but still.

This discussion has been closed.