More control over the volume?

johnorionjohnorion New YorkPosts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone figured a "non-root" way to change the volume steps on the Axon 7. With my headphones the one step is a bit too quiet but the next step up is way to loud. I haven't figured out a way to adjust that and it seems any app needs root to do it.

ZTE can you do something about this in your next update? I think double or maybe even triple the number of steps would be much better and give you much better control over the volume.

Answers

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,630 mod

​ Hello, and Welcome to Z-Community! While I don't have an answer for you, I did want to at least comment to say hi, and let you know that ZTE is listening. From feature requests, to issues, all is heard, and reported. Should you need anything please just holler

• johnorionjohnorion New YorkPosts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

​ Thanks for the reply. I'm loving the phone. I just wish I could root the phone without losing the hardware warranty. I could fix the volume issue myself if I could root the phone and even though I have seen a few mention the some what large volume steps, it doesn't seem to bother most people. It seems that it is only a few of us that find the steps creates a step that makes it just a bit too quiet (you would prefer to make it just a little louder) and the next step makes it too loud.

I don't want to lose my warranty since I just bought the phone, I don't want to take the chance that something hardware related fails and I'm out a phone. I miss Titanium Backup and the ability to customize the phone the way I want it though so I don't know how long I will be able to hold out. It kind of sucks that you get a great warranty but you have to give it up if you want the phone to "work for you" 

I guess I will wait to see how the phone holds up and the new updates ... looking forward to Nougat.. and maybe after a few more months I will feel comfortable enough that the hardware will be fine and unlock the phone so I can have the phone running exactly the way I want it to

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have the same problem there not being enough steps.  I'm using a music player with a parametric EQ and gain control.  I've been adjusting the gain to get the volume right.  It's a hassle.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,630 mod

​ I really love the Axon7, and am still getting use to the hows, and where of everything. I am also looking forward to Nougat, as I am sure everyone is. Should you need anything, just holler

• whirlwind23whirlwind23 Posts: 26 ✭✭✭✭

I just got the phone and I listen to music 5-6 hours a day while I work.  I have the same issue, so this might be a deal breaker for me if it isnt fixed soon.  I count 15 steps in the volume, so I dont think we need MORE steps.  I think what we need is a more equal adjustment from each step.  The first 10 steps barely change the volume at all.  Each step is like 2% more than the last step, versus 6-7% each step should be.  Once the volume reaches step 10, it seems to start jumping 10-15% at a time.  By the time I reach step 12, it's almost perfect, but still too low.  However, bump to step 13 and its like the volume just doubled.  I had to check to make sure I wasnt skipping several steps (I wasnt).

I never really paid attention to it but now that you mentioned it .. you are right .. the lower volume steps don't seem to do a lot but when you get to the higher ones it seems to change the volume so much more ... Maybe Nougat will fix this when it comes out ... shouldn't be much longer ... rumor is .. mid December ... according to Neweggs page on the Axon 7 .. so we might only have a couple of weeks more to wait

• vulcan66vulcan66 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭✭

This volume control issue is driving me crazy.  Using headphones, it is impossible to find a comfortable listening level because of the abrupt steps.  The control needs to be more granular to allow safe and comfortable listening levels.  I'm currently testing the Blade V8 Pro and it DOES NOT have the same problem as the Axon 7.

Yeah ... maybe they will have it fixed in Nougat so maybe we can fix this sometime in 2019 when we finally get the update.. or maybe they will allow us to unlock the bootloader again and we can fix it ourselves.

• whirlwind23whirlwind23 Posts: 26 ✭✭✭✭

The Nougat update didnt fix it for me. However, I found an app called Precise Volume that can fix it adequately (but not without it's own annoyances). The app will allow fine tuning of 1% increments, but only when it has the focus.

So, start your music, then adjust volume best you can with the normal volume buttons. Then, switch to Precise Volume and fine tune it to exactly where you want. Then, switch back to music app.

If you adjust the volume with the buttons when the app is not in focus, it will revert to its original steps and you will need to switch back to the app to fine tune it again.

I think the paid version will put up a notification that will allow you to fine tune it without switching to the app if that bugs you.

Not a perfect solution, but it's better than nothing.