Why can't I get a Quartz without a data plan?

jabird101jabird101 Cleveland, OH, USAPosts: 225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have now been to two T-Mobile owned stores, three authorized resellers and called T-Mobile directly.  I am not able to buy this watch without a plan.  I just want the device.  I don't want to pay for service, and in my case, since I have a legacy plan with that has unlimited data and tethering with HD streaming, I would have to switch to a new, plan.  I just want to pair it with my phone, just like my older watches.  I can't figure out why no one will take my money.

Comments

• jabird101jabird101 Cleveland, OH, USAPosts: 225 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like you can, there is a buy now button, but that just redirects you to T-Mobile.  I believe they have an exclusive for a while.  I am sure they will have it eventually direct from ZTE. 

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if he can. 

Yeah it looks like it is only on T-Mobile. 

• onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 154 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's just another device for T-Mobile and the watch is presently set up to used their system.  When they offered everyone who was on the One plan, I took advantage of it. The exclusive with T-Mobile will not last forever. If you don't want to make and receive calls on the watch there are a lot of other choices.  I like the Thor watch.

• onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 154 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would be very very careful buying buying any new electronics on Ebay, especially on a current model at a drastically reduced price. Products are stolen and you risk not having any warranty support as well as counterfeit models. I seriously doubt The Quartz has been counterfeited at this point but I would still beware of some eBay sellers.    

• jabird101jabird101 Cleveland, OH, USAPosts: 225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, exclusive shouldn't last too much longer. 

I have my Zenwatch 2 which works just fine.  I was looking for something in a bit smaller case and the new os.  I see the Zenwatch 3 is getting the AW2 update, but the 2 may be left behind as all word of it getting AW2 disappeared from Asus after they announced they will exit the wearables market.  Not a big deal, since there are a few others that are coming that look interesting as well.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 2,127 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Base in my experience with T-Mobile, you won't be able to buy The Quartz from them unless you :

1. Buy the Full Price plus just add Data for a month.

2. Check for 3rd. party stores and get it from there.

i

• stini777stini777 Posts: 3 ✭✭✭✭

I purchased my Quartz from a T-Mobile store without adding it to my plan, but it doesn't mean they didn't try. I couldn't finance it through them, I had to buy it outright so I just charged it on a credit card. There was definitely some confusion about it and they tried to get me to activate it, but eventually I was able to purchase without activation.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear you were able to buy it without activating. You really don't need a cellular plan for watches or to have that extra bill. It would really help sell more of these if you weren't required to get a plan.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    How much functionality do you lose without a plan? I don't want a smartwatch but I'm curious. If it can't perform many functions because there isn't a plan what good is it?

I love smartwatches but I honestly don't feel they are ready for a cellular connection or gain much usefulness from one. Without a cellular plan, you can still answer calls on your watch and reply to texts. Pretty much the only thing the cellular connection allows you to do is to leave your phone at home and use it independently. Still, all the features won't work without the phone such as maps, and the battery life isn't good enough for it to be a standalone device for long.

I know some people still have a valid reason to use it standalone, but I don't think the technology is quite there yet, mainly the battery tech. Like I said I still love smartwatches and I've been using one daily since the Moto 360 was released. I can't see myself going back to not having one again, but they just aren't ready to be a standalone device yet in my opinion or require a cellular connection.

• nanonano Posts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jasone said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    How much functionality do you lose without a plan? I don't want a smartwatch but I'm curious. If it can't perform many functions because there isn't a plan what good is it?

I love smartwatches but I honestly don't feel they are ready for a cellular connection or gain much usefulness from one. Without a cellular plan, you can still answer calls on your watch and reply to texts. Pretty much the only thing the cellular connection allows you to do is to leave your phone at home and use it independently. Still, all the features won't work without the phone such as maps, and the battery life isn't good enough for it to be a standalone device for long.

I know some people still have a valid reason to use it standalone, but I don't think the technology is quite there yet, mainly the battery tech. Like I said I still love smartwatches and I've been using one daily since the Moto 360 was released. I can't see myself going back to not having one again, but they just aren't ready to be a standalone device yet in my opinion or require a cellular connection.

I only want a watch to make calls and texts. I can't take a phone with me most of the times. So, in your opinion would this watch work in standalone mode only to make a few calls, five or so, and make ten or so texts a day, if I charged it every night? Thanks for your answers, I waiting to find out before buying one.

@nano said:
    I only want a watch to make calls and texts. I can't take a phone with me most of the times. So, in your opinion would this watch work in standalone mode only to make a few calls, five or so, and make ten or so texts a day, if I charged it every night? Thanks for your answers, I waiting to find out before buying one.

I know it will work for calls and texts standalone, but the battery life might be the issue. Cellular drains a lot of battery and depending on your signal strength it might not last the day, although I'm not sure. Since most people carry it with their phone as well it's not connected to cellular 100% of the time and using Bluetooth making the battery last longer.

Maybe some of the other owners have tried this and have experience with using it standalone. I think we had one user that tried this and was getting pretty bad battery life. I wish I could remember his name because I'd tag him right now to help answer this, but I can't find it.

Anyways, it will work for what you want but battery life could be an issue, especially depending on the brightness you use and how long these phone calls last. Which is why I think smartwatches just aren't ready to be standalone devices.

• nanonano Posts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Jason's,. Maybe someone out there is using the watch this way. I think the multiple apps are cool, but for me it's all about communication. Tha KS again and if anyone wants to just try the standalone with your Quartz for a day be sure to post here or in my original discussion on this forum under "Standalone watch use (not paired)"

• alton28alton28 Posts: 12 ✭✭✭✭

Just buy full it at full price i will and try too use it with metro pcs