"Contacts has stopped" error

stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Today I ran into a strange problem. I clicked on the Phone icon to launch the dialer. Then in the entry field, I typed "1800" and immediately got an error message that said something like "Contacts has stopped". I could not enter a 1800 phone number no matter what I tried. I finally resorted to deleting all of the dialer history and then I could get it to work OK.

Comments

• mb2xmb2x Greenville, SCPosts: 122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes clearing the cache helps with some stuff like this. Go to Settings, then to "Apps", find the contacts app, go into the "Storage" tab, and then click "Clear Cache". A reboot could ask clear up the issue.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mb2x said:
    Sometimes clearing the cache helps with some stuff like this. Go to Settings, then to "Apps", find the contacts app, go into the "Storage" tab, and then click "Clear Cache". A reboot could ask clear up the issue.

I had already cleared the cache for ALL apps as well as reboot the phone. Neither worked. But thanks for the info just the same. :smile:

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. It's one of the recent problems I started having with my A7 about 3 weeks ago. Among many others.

edited August 29, 2017 4:56PM

I'm so done with this crappy phone and it's crappier software. When a phone comes out that supports the new T-Mobile Band 71 I will be taking a serious look at it!

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes if a specific application is failing there is a chance that the configuration data for it is corrupt, in those cases, clearing the cache may not be enough.

One thing you can try is clearing the config data for the contacts app (no contacts will be lost).

1: Open your android settings.
    2: Click on "Apps".
    3: Click on the 3 vertical dots in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
    4: Click on "Show system"
    5: Scroll down until you find the app "Contacts" and then click on it.
    6: Click on "Storage".
    7: Click on "Clear data".

After that, look for these other apps "Phone", "Phone Call Management", and "Phone Services" and repeat steps 6 and 7 to clear their data also.

After that, restart the phone, and see if the issue still remains.

(This is assuming you are using the stock dialer and contacts app).

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@stevec5375 said:
    I'm so done with this crappy phone and it's crappier software. When a phone comes out that supports the new T-Mobile Band 71 I will be taking a serious look at it!

Band 71 will take a while and I wouldn't trust the first generation of phones with it. Remember all the phone manufacturers lying about supporting Band 12 when VoLTE was either completely missing or didn't work with the screen off?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kevinmcmurtrie said:

@stevec5375 said:

Band 71 will take a while and I wouldn't trust the first generation of phones with it. Remember all the phone manufacturers lying about supporting Band 12 when VoLTE was either completely missing or didn't work with the screen off?

@kevinmcmurtrie do you know what frequencies band 66 and 71 are?

Band 71 is here: http://www.tmonews.com/2017/08/t-mobile-600mhz-lte-network-now-live/

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@stevec5375 said:

My next phone purchase will not be until I can get a device with band 71 support as well. According to T-Mobile, just a few slant phones will get it in 2017, but 2018 they will explode (well, Samsung's will LOL). Again, that's according to T-Mobile.