Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Would you be interested in an earphone adapter?

yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 28, 2017 5:53PM in Consumer Lab

Time for a new Consumer Lab discussion!!

Consumer Lab would like to learn about how you enjoy video and music with your family with cell phone.

1. Have you ever listened to music or watched movies with your friends or family together using your cell phone?
  • If yes, could you please share with us your typical usage scenarios (When/ Where / Contents…….) Do you ever have any issues or problems ?
  • If no, could you please let us know why ?

2.For a flagship cell phone, would you pay extra for an earphone adapter which can connect two earphones/headphones at the same time?

• If yes, how much would you pay for it ? $10? $15? $20? $25? Or another amount ?
  • If no, why you are not interested in it ? 

There are no right or wrong answers in this discussion... please feel free to share your thoughts with us.

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1-I have though not usually with headphone. Instead, it's often with the speaker. Music is what I listen to most of the time as I think the screen on the phone is too small for video watching, especially for 2 or more people.

2-I have actually used that in the past where I can connect 2 headphone to device/phone. In a few scenario I can see that is useful. For example, long trip where you want to share a movie or music with someone like in an airplane. I think it is nice to have though not absolutely necessary.

I felt that with BT 5.0 supporting two devices, it would actually be a better solution to have the phone supporting BT 5.0 so it can be used with two headphone wirelessly as oppose to wired. Though I think if the adapter is included as part of the package, it's a nice addition. I think the cost of such adapter probably cannot be more than 10 as there are quite a few already on the market that can be purchased for less than 5.

• vrmcbeighvrmcbeigh Dallas, TXPosts: 19 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love a decent headphone adapter. My wife and I tend to use my phone to watch movies on flights. I think I'd pay about $10 for it.

However, if you can get me a good headphone splitter that had a built in amp (my travel earphones are 160 ohm impedance) and it was a good quality, I'd probably pay a good $75 for it.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1-I watch media on my phone all the time with my kids, typically if we're in the car or someplace else where they need to be kept patient. My biggest challenge is holding the phone so that all three kids can see it, which can especially be difficult in a car when movement is restricted. With my previous devices, it was also a challenge to play things loud enough to be heard by everybody in a noisy environment, but that is not an issue with my nice and loud Axon 7.
    2-I don't have much use for a device like this. I'm either listening alone (so one headphone is enough) or I'm in an environment where I can play the device outloud. If this is a simple Y splitter, I know they can be bought for ~$1 on Amazon or Monoprice, so I would not be willing to pay appreciably more for a phone that includes one.

• bjhiltbrandbjhiltbrand United StatesPosts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 - Yes, usually when I'm with my wife on a plane. It's nice to watch a show or listen to music together in an environment that pretty much necessitates headphones. I have a headphone splitter so we can both have our own pair of headphones to use. I've never had an issue with it. Without a splitter, this would not be tenable.

2 - I would consider paying for an adapter if it offered something better than a regular splitter. I probably wouldn't spend more than $5.00 for it, as I can get a splitter in a pinch at any dollar store (for a ghetto one), or for a couple bucks for a decent one online. What would change that, however, would be if the adapter were powered and had separate volume / equalizer controls for each set of headphones. I would probably pay around $15 to $20 for that.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would not like it. Bluetooth now allows for multiple connections, and my family is all Bluetooth. Watching movies and videos I cast to the TV when the family is around. When listening to music we have a nice 10watt Bluetooth speaker. I just don't use corded headphones or speakers anymore.

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 190 ✭✭✭✭✭

1- I currently own a headphone splitter that I use to listen to movies and music on my phone. I use it to watch content with friends and family on my device. But I have to admit that this scenario is rare. I only use my headphone splitter a couple times a year. It works best for sharing music. But videos are hard because of the available screen for both people to watch and hold.
    2- I would only pay $10 dollars most for an adapter. It's just not a feature that I use enough to pay a lot of money for

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,066 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Usually when I watch with others I use the speakers and the 2 front facing stereo speakers on the Axon 7 are fantastic for this. I would not pay extra for an adapter because they are cheap and already accessible if you want a Y headphone splitter.

I think the best solution is to just include Bluetooth 5 with the capability of pairing 2 devices at once. I've read that it's possible to do this even on older versions of Bluetooth with software. Either way Bluetooth 5 is a big upgrade and should be in your flagship going forward, and should include this feature.

I still like having the headphone jack but for sharing with another wireless is just easier than getting tangled in cables with another person.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,251 mod

I just recently took a road trip with my family and while they were watching a movie in the car my wife and I shared bluetooth headphones to listen to music. I think it's more practical to have Bluetooth 5.0 and the ability to pair two headsets to one device or have a Bluetooth headset where you can split the earpieces so one user has one earpiece and another user has the other to share. It's still nice to have an adaptor for two headsets but I think most are getting away from this as bluetooth headsets are getting better. Apples airpods may not have the best sound but can be paired with iOS and android and split between two users. There are also lots of options available for fully wireless earbuds with charging cases available and they are getting better all the time. I would focus on a Bluetooth wireless earbud solution at an affordable price.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,251 mod

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @fzrrich sorry to get off topic briefly but it's great to see that you're back.

@jimlloyd40 It's great to be back! Kids are going back to school soon and I plan on joining in on all of the fun really soon. Once you get a taste of the Z-Life it sticks with you, that's for sure! Thanks for the shout out.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I used to with my brother and sister 2 years ago. I was the one in the family tasked with getting new episodes for series. We would huddle around my phone for 40 minutes watching 'The Office' cupping the speaker on my phone to enhance the sound. Same thing with new music. We wouldn't huddle around just to listen to a song, I usually just position the phone a cabinet.

Of course, all of this was before Bluetooth speakers made its way to in our household. We have 2 speakers in the house so with the power of an aux cord or through SBC codecs our listening experience has greatly improved. I don't see the necessity of having 2 built in headphone adapters in a phone this day and age. Especially when one can get a good quality travel-friendly audio splitter for $3 on Monosprice.

Maybe if you add a feature where you can stream audio to two or more device via Bluetooth, I wouldn't call it essential or a feature that will lead me to purchase a device but it sounds nifty. I would pay $4.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I used to with my brother and sister 2 years ago. I was the one in the family tasked with getting new episodes for series. We would huddle around my phone for 40 minutes watching 'The Office' cupping the speaker on my phone to enhance the sound. Same thing with new music. We wouldn't huddle around just to listen to a song, I usually just position the phone a cabinet.

Of course, all of this was before Bluetooth speakers made its way to in our household. We have 2 speakers in the house so with the power of an aux cord or through SBC codecs our listening experience has greatly improved. I don't see the necessity of having 2 built in headphone adapters in a phone this day and age. Especially when one can get a good quality travel-friendly audio splitter for $3 on Monosprice.

Maybe if you add a feature where you can stream audio to two or more device via Bluetooth, I wouldn't call it essential or a feature that will lead me to purchase a device but it sounds nifty. I would pay $4.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,596 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My wife and I will share a device to watch a movie on a long flight. I think a earphone splitter isn't a bad idea for someone who does not have one. I would say $15-20 for a good one is a fair price.

• djb84djb84 Rainier OregonPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

I connect my phone through Bluetooth so everyone on my shift can listen. I would not pay extra for a extra earphone jack. . Maybe think about 2 Bluetooth devices hooked up at the same time.. and better speakers.

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've only watched youtube clips with friends/fam on my cell phone.

I would be interested in having the adapter just to have one. It would come in handy occasionally and I would pay $10-$15 for it.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you ever listened to music or watched movies with your friends or family together using your cell phone?
    Nope, screen is too small to watch, we have bad eyes. Music the battery drains too quickly when you tubing music. playback from MP3s I haven't tried but usually dont as I tend to keep my storage as clean as possible for photos and video.

2.For a flagship cell phone, would you pay extra for an earphone adapter which can connect two earphones/headphones at the same time?

Not really, there are countless adapters in the market that i continuously get bombarded to test via Amazon.  

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you ever listened to music or watched movies with your friends or family together using your cell phone?
    **Yes

If yes, could you please share with us your typical usage scenarios (When/ Where / Contents…….) Do you ever have any issues or problems ?
    **At home we'll do this by sitting around the phone and using the built-in speakers. Or we'll cast to the TV.
    **When out, we'll use a headphone splitter or look at something without volume.

**Um, no. They're something like $3 on eBay

If no, why you are not interested in it ? 
    **Got a bunch in a drawer because we've picked them up over the years. This isn't something new and or interesting.

• keithisreal2013keithisreal2013 Austin, TexasPosts: 182 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you ever listened to music or watched movies with your friends or family together using your cell phone? - Yes I have.

If yes, could you please share with us your typical usage scenarios (When/ Where / Contents…….) Do you ever have any issues or problems ? Its normally in shopping malls or places where there's long lines and the only issue is being able to hear the video.

2.For a flagship cell phone, would you pay extra for an earphone adapter which can connect two earphones/headphones at the same time? I would but I wouldn't pay more than $15.00.

• asbestosasbestos United StatesPosts: 20 ✭✭✭✭✭

not really .. usually with phones id use a BT headset.. not sure what the big deal is with the headphone jack.. cords get in the way.

This discussion has been closed.