Z-958 (AT&T): Why No Access to any Android Build Version(s) or Links from ZTE Website?

EaglesKaReEaglesKaRe USAPosts: 5 ✭✭✭✭

Purchased the phone from AT&T. There is an AT&T Software Update link in the Settings page. The About page for System updates is to install the build file(s) manually downloaded to the SD storage card. No luck in finding any build version(s) for this Z-958 phone.

As the last resort, after I had done everything that I could to run the software updater, I did several hard resets to attempt the OTA software update from Baseband version: Z958H01 and Build number: Z958V1.0.0B18 with no success. One poster mentioned three tries of hard reset with success without any method/process. There is plenty of internal storage space -- file is approximately 1.2 GB in size, which requires Wi-Fi connection for downloading.

There are two other builds -- previous versions required -- to update before the final update to build number: Z958V1.0.0B26. See: https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html#!/stepbystep/id/stepbystep_KM1127815.

Customers are aware that it is up to AT&T to push the Android Operating System to their specific device. Yet, ZTE Website should provide several build files for manual download for the specific device of the customers.

Because of the lack of support from their Website or care for our SECURITY, I am considering to switch to another company and destroy the ZTE device so that others would not have to go through wasted time and efforts. Second, to recommend family/friends not to buy ZTE products. My partner has Moto G4 and she recently upgraded to Android Version 7.0 Nougat. Note: rooting this device permanently is impossible.

Should I succeed with the update(s) soon, I will add to this post.

ZTE ZMAX Z-958
Baseband version: Z958H01 and Build number: Z958V1.0.0B18
Android Version: 5.1 Lollipop.

Best Answer

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@EaglesKaRe said:
    @jimlloyd40:
    I provided the information from the Settings > About Phone > Model name and number at the bottom of the post. If you need more specifics, please let me know where to find such information.

At the time of the sale, salesperson referred to ZTE MAX Z-958. On the phone itself, it only shows ZTE. This Website is what the phone looks like at ZTE Z-958.

I would like to state that AT&T sells phones and they stated that only the manufacturer is responsible for the update release to their OTA system. Last year, I contacted ZTE and they said that my phone was current and only AT&T would release any OTA updates.

As I had stated about the manual update feature is available on this phone even though there was no instruction on where to obtain the update file(s). As for the SD card removed, yes, before I did the hard reset. I planned to go to the AT&T store after I saw that someone mentioned about the AT&T service SIM card. I only assumed that the SIM card on my phone would be the same since it is required to send/receive data. No one at the AT&T store mentioned that I have to come in to the store for any OTA update(s).

With the Wi-Fi and Data on, under Settings > AT&T Software Update, simply press the "Check for Updates" and the pop up message displays "No update is available for your device at this time. Your device will automatically check for an update within the next 24 hours." If I repeat the process in six hours, the message will repeat itself with the time left counting down.

@samsamha:
    In your first statement, I am aware. I am only asking for further information after I had spent hours of researching on methods and/or common issues for this specific model. I ran the "wipe cache partition" in safe mode several times before the hard reset with no success.

Please refer to the fourth paragraph with my response to @jimlloyd40. You are correct that not everyone would use the manual update method, if they are not knowledgeable and/or not instructed by the store/manufacturer.

Having said that, as the last resort to go to the AT&T store, I appreciate your time to share your thoughts/suggestions. It is better to get as much information on anything before resorting to return to the store.

One would think that common complaints/concerns would increase the likelihood of improved procedure/methods or status on each device on the manufacturer/phone carrier Website. At best, consumers are well informed when they do their research for resolutions.

I will post after I return from the AT&T store.

The Z958 is the Zmax 2 sold "exclusively" by AT&T. It is a carrier device and any updates must come from AT&T not ZTE. The Zmax 2 came out in the fall of 2015 and most likely will not get any further updates. It is a budget phone and budget phones simply are not generally updated after the first year.
    You do not need to go to an AT&T store for an update. You correctly checked for any updates by going to "about phone" in the settings and checking for an update. The SD card is irrelevant as far as updates for that phone. I'm sorry @EaglesKaRe there simply is not an update for your phone. If AT&T once again says that ZTE is responsible for updates it's simply trying to shift the responsibility elsewhere. ZTE would not be allowed to update it without AT&T requesting an update.
    Such is the life of a budget phone. Even flagship phones costing hundreds of dollars more aren't "generally" supported with updates beyond 2 years and the Zmax 2 is now 2 years from the release date. You may not have owned it for 2 years but that's how long its been available.

Answers

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2017 11:53AM

hi, @EaglesKaRe

When comes to carrier update, some carrier needs to have their activated sim in the phone, so make sure you are using ATT sim in the device. With OTA update, you should not need to check the model info and the download should be over the ear so you do not need to download any file.

Have you tried to clear the cache?
    -Turn off your phone.
    -Press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons until the ZTE logo screen appears, then release the buttons.
    -Press the Volume down button to highlight wipe cache partition.
    -Press the Power button to select.
    -Once the phone shows complete press the Power button and select reboot system now.
    -You can then try the download again.

• EaglesKaReEaglesKaRe USAPosts: 5 ✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40:
    I provided the information from the Settings > About Phone > Model name and number at the bottom of the post. If you need more specifics, please let me know where to find such information.

At the time of the sale, salesperson referred to ZTE MAX Z-958. On the phone itself, it only shows ZTE. This Website is what the phone looks like at ZTE Z-958.

I would like to state that AT&T sells phones and they stated that only the manufacturer is responsible for the update release to their OTA system. Last year, I contacted ZTE and they said that my phone was current and only AT&T would release any OTA updates.

As I had stated about the manual update feature is available on this phone even though there was no instruction on where to obtain the update file(s). As for the SD card removed, yes, before I did the hard reset. I planned to go to the AT&T store after I saw that someone mentioned about the AT&T service SIM card. I only assumed that the SIM card on my phone would be the same since it is required to send/receive data. No one at the AT&T store mentioned that I have to come in to the store for any OTA update(s).

With the Wi-Fi and Data on, under Settings > AT&T Software Update, simply press the "Check for Updates" and the pop up message displays "No update is available for your device at this time. Your device will automatically check for an update within the next 24 hours." If I repeat the process in six hours, the message will repeat itself with the time left counting down.

@samsamha:
    In your first statement, I am aware. I am only asking for further information after I had spent hours of researching on methods and/or common issues for this specific model. I ran the "wipe cache partition" in safe mode several times before the hard reset with no success.

Please refer to the fourth paragraph with my response to @jimlloyd40. You are correct that not everyone would use the manual update method, if they are not knowledgeable and/or not instructed by the store/manufacturer.

Having said that, as the last resort to go to the AT&T store, I appreciate your time to share your thoughts/suggestions. It is better to get as much information on anything before resorting to return to the store.

One would think that common complaints/concerns would increase the likelihood of improved procedure/methods or status on each device on the manufacturer/phone carrier Website. At best, consumers are well informed when they do their research for resolutions.

I will post after I return from the AT&T store.

• EaglesKaReEaglesKaRe USAPosts: 5 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you very much @jimlloyd40:

First, I must apologize for my comment about destroying my ZTE phone. I was extremely frustrated with not getting any update(s) since I purchased the phone. The real issue has been with AT&T in its entirety since not all agents were/are trained properly.

I did not read this post until after I resolved the issue with the software update push.

I want to explain what happened for other readers who might have similar issues. What you stated in the last post are correct! However, there is the best method to resolve the software update push. I am aware of the service life for most phones. However, when researching for the latest information on updates such as this Get Droid Tips*, that is when owners expect to receive the latest update(s) on their phone. Even if Android version 8 is out, we are aware that any latter version may not be available on such specific phone. For owners/readers, it is best to check their device information on the ZTE Support Webpage**.

I contacted ZTE with "Live Chat" and they confirmed what I knew all along. This phone was definitely four versions behind - as shown on the device support page. Only the phone carrier, AT&T for my service, can only push the software update. Finally, what made so much sense, even after what I read about the prerequisite to the software update, it was apparent that this phone missed the initial software update from build number Z958V1.0.0B18 to ...B19. Any subsequent request for the software update would result a popup message, "current software is up to date". Because the phone did not have the prerequisite build number installed, the phone remained unchanged. Armed with this information, I went to the AT&T stores.

I realized that the AT&T agents -- unsure of their titles given that they still represent AT&T -- were not helpful and/or knowledgeable on this particular phone. One store was only focused on sales and the other is an authorized AT&T store that does sales and technical support. Unfortunately, there were only two employees with the 20 minute wait time. I tried to explain about the research and method of getting the software update. The agent kept stating that "Software Update" function showed the phone has the latest update. There was nothing that they could do. Second, in order for the Software Update function to work correctly, the phone must be connected to the Wi-Fi service, which it was not on at the store. So I left feeling annoyed.

Yesterday, I contacted AT&T customer service representative, which elevated me to the technical support agent. This agent confirmed the required security protocols including a PIN number sent via text message before they could push the software update. With Wi-Fi enabled and the phone plugged in, the first update took about 25 minutes with Android version still at 5.1 and build number Z958V1.0.0B19. The software update push was supposed to continue in each successive version until the final update within a few hours. Today, there were no change. Contacted AT&T in the same process and they sent the software update push. It was immediate while I was on another phone. The software update took about 35 minutes with Android version at 6.0.1 and build number Z958V1.0.0B24. It has been a few hours now so I will have to contact AT&T technical support again. I suspect that after the update to build number Z958V1.0.0B25, it will automatically update to build number Z958V1.0.0B26, which is the latest update.

All in all, with the help from ZTE live chat and ZTE-USA discussion forum, for all the readers, it is best to check the data of the latest version for your phone before you contact the Technical support of your phone carrier provider to request a software update push -- be aware of what build number and current Android version is available for your phone.

Again, thank you all who provided some suggestions/inputs, which changed my attitude and outlook for future ZTE products. My suggestion is that ZTE Website continue to update information on all versions and state the correct method that consumers can avoid similar headaches/frustrations that I went through for over a year. ZTE should state that the function for all phones with "manual software update" from microSD card for specific phone carrier is not available and/or point to the location of the current software for the specified phones.

Have a pleasant day!!

*https://www.getdroidtips.com/z958v1-0-0b26-june-att-zte-zmax-2-z958/
    **https://www.zteusa.com/support_page/