Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

ZTE axon 7 signal strength issues

akwid044akwid044 USAPosts: 4 ✭✭✭✭

Who else has signal issues, it seems like the signal always weak, some times I have a full bars and then goes to one bar.
I think is only on 4g lte bands, I'm using cricket sim card, never have this problem before. Could be the antenna or the aluminum body ?

Comments

• musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MA Posts: 2,598 mod

This thread has been moved from the Developers sections to the Axon section

• ggregggreg Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2017 3:02PM

The Axon 7's reception ability is definitely below average. Information has been provided on these forums that this is largely because of a hardware design compromise made by ZTE to allow for larger speakers at the expense of antennas. In addition, the modem firmware is buggy and doesn't cope very well in environments where cellular signal is weak. The phone too easily loses the signal completely , and is slow to reacquire, especially the data. It is normal to use third party software to prod Axon 7 to reconnect to data.

[Edit] My provider is T-Mobile.

Some will try to blame Axon 7's aluminum body for it's poor reception performance; however, this is not convincing to me as other phones with similar builds do not suffer the same problems.

• AustiniteAustinite Austin TexasPosts: 8 ✭✭✭✭

I had Cricket Wireless, however I switched over to AT&T Wireless Prepaid. Cricket Wireless is a MNVO and unlike AT&T Prepaid gets secondary prioritization on AT&T's network/and partner's networks whereby AT&T Prepaid customers do not. Cricket does NOT tell you all the areas they do not provide service (even though they say they utilize mostly AT&T & other partners towers). When I switched from Cricket to AT&T Prepaid I noticed a 100% improvement in signal strength, clarity and I'm now able to utilize my phone in areas whereas Cricket Wireless had no coverage. I asked a friend which works for AT&T Wireless if I was imagining this change - he replied NO, that AT&T Prepaid Customers get prioritized 1st versus Cricket Wireless or any other MNVO which utilizes AT&T. So MNVO's do not always get the same equal service and prioritization as the prime providers like AT&T & T-Mobile.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Austinite said:
    I had Cricket Wireless, however I switched over to AT&T Wireless Prepaid. Cricket Wireless is a MNVO and unlike AT&T Prepaid gets secondary prioritization on AT&T's network/and partner's networks whereby AT&T Prepaid customers do not. Cricket does NOT tell you all the areas they do not provide service (even though they say they utilize mostly AT&T & other partners towers). When I switched from Cricket to AT&T Prepaid I noticed a 100% improvement in signal strength, clarity and I'm now able to utilize my phone in areas whereas Cricket Wireless had no coverage. I asked a friend which works for AT&T Wireless if I was imagining this change - he replied NO, that AT&T Prepaid Customers get prioritized 1st versus Cricket Wireless or any other MNVO which utilizes AT&T. So MNVO's do not always get the same equal service and prioritization as the prime providers like AT&T & T-Mobile.

I have read the same thing. Unfortunately AT&T was horrible in my area. Constant dropped calls and recordings of "We are unable to complete your call as dialed. Please try again later." I switched to Sprint who was much better on calls then AT&T. But Sprint's data was horrible and slow. I now have Ting"s GSM service which is an MVNO of T-Mobile. (GSM. The CDMA uses Sprint) I am much happier and don't have any problems. Plus my phone bill is $26 per month after taxes :)

edited September 13, 2017 4:26PM

Gosh, I wonder if Ggreg is right and its a design flaw? Since I'm in Central Austin (TX) and there are tons of towers I have great signal. I have taken it to remote areas as well and have not experienced any issues - so far. Since switching to AT&T Wireless I have not had one issue what-so-ever. On another NOTE, I'm using US MOBILE (www.usmobile.com) for my 2nd Line (SIM), I did not want to pay for voice calls but only texting, so US Mobile offered me a deal of $9.00 per month for unlimited texting on my 2nd number (using T-Mobile network). Yes you GOT A DEAL for $26.00 per month! :smiley:

I think Ggreg may be right about a design flaw in antenna/signal. Over the past 5 days I have experience 12 missed calls or calls going to Voice Mail. In my business I cant afford this to happen. If I'm under a tower its no problem! I might be selling my ZTE Axon 7 and going to Samsung unless ZTE can fix.

• Personally, I don't agree that this is a design flaw. When I was on the build my Axon 7 2017U came with, (B19) I think, but might have been prior. I had zero signal strength issues. Since B25, and now B32, signal strength is very poor. There is something the Devs changed. Drivers perhaps? I'm not sure, what, but it just hasn't had the same magic since.