The ZTE Quartz actually helped save my life.

onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 154 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Everybody,
This is a hard one to write because I did something really stupid which almost cost me my life. It's hard to talk about it. All ended well and the watch was a huge part of it. I am writing about it because I want to tell you when it comes to water, do not risk trying to drive through it.
On Friday, Sept. 1, I was running late and moving down my road a little faster than normal at 7:30 in the morning. Overnight we received the storm that Houston had just gone through and it rained very hard over night...harder than I had realized. The Nashville area had four tornado touch downs. On one side of the road there is a large field and on the back side of that there is a large creek which feeds the Cumberland river here in Tennessee. About 1/2 mile down my road the road drops and the creek had overflowed it, and made a lake out of the field and it covered the road. So here I come around this curve doing about 50 MPH in my Jeep and I hit the water and I slowed down and I'm doing OK until I hit that drop in the lower part of the road. I tried to reverse but just as I'm trying the water gets under the jeep and I'm swept further down the road and the jeep cuts off and begins to fill with water. I call 911 on my AXON 7 and told them where I was and started to try to get out. By this time the water is up to my shoulders and I drop the Axon 7 and continue to try to open the door What I did not realize is the Jeep had come to rest next to a small tree which prevented me from opening the door. I got over to the passenger door and the water up to my neck and I tried the door and it's not opening. I start to fumble for my knife in the center console to cut open the soft top. I can't find it and I'm really in trouble. Somehow I remembered that in this situartion to roll down the window to open the door or go out the window. When I rolled it down the door opened and I escaped. At this point, the Jeep is totally under water and the roof is only a few inches below the surface. so I managed to get up on top of the roof. It's still raining and the current is strong but the jeep is no longer moving. So I'm sitting there, calming down a bit and I realize I've got the Quartz on my wrist..I call 911 back and they are having a hard time understanding me because the watch had been submerged but I could hear them just fine. I shook the watch and they could hear me a little better and they said they had a track on me via the GPS. It took them almost an hour to find me, get the boat in the water and come get me.
Without that watch, I may have been siting there fo hours or possibly worse. The two things I want to say again here is, never take a chance driving through water, it could be higher than you think. The other thing is, when someone says. "What do you need a watch with a phone on it for?", you can tell them my story. The watch literally mad a huge difference in how things turned out.
Matt

Comments

• wings4anniewings4annie United StatesPosts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2017 1:57PM

@onemat I am so glad you are ok. And what a thing to go through.
    I am glad to hear your story and "way to go ZTE"
    And Matt, I for one am glad you are ok.

• johnny3ddjohnny3dd United StatesPosts: 59 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2017 2:12PM

Wow, glad your alright. And yes it's a great thing you had the Quartz on you and it worked as It should. That's pretty amazing thing to survive, mine kept cutting out it just wore my battery out very fast. I couldn't keep a signal to "save my life" it's a cliche but in your case it actually did save your life amazing! Very cool.

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 608 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so glad that you are safe Matt! And thank goodness for your Quartz to help guide them to you quicker.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@onemat , I am so glad to hear that you are all right. With all of the storm and rain, you can never be too careful when driving through the wet area.

• wings4anniewings4annie United StatesPosts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2017 2:30PM

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Did it save your life twice. That's how many threads you started about it. :D Kidding aside that's fantastic. Newspaper worthy story.

Jim this is worth mentioning twice, it is such fantastic news!!!
    LOL

• onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 154 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Guys...

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Matt, so glad to hear you're OK and that the Quartz helped you out. Be more careful in the future man, but know the Quartz has your back ;).

It reminds me a lot of a story I read when the Moto 360 first came out about someone in a car wreck. They were trapped upside down in the car and the phone had been flung off somewhere in their car. They were able to call emergency services using the watch though. This is one of those practical uses that you hope you'll never have a need for, but you'll be grateful you have this strapped to your wrist when the worst happens.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,257 mod

@onemat That is an amazing story! That was definitely a situation that went from bad to worse quickly! I'm glad it all worked out and you are ok. It's also great to hear how ZTE tech helped save your life! I'm sure there are other stories out there of how tech helped out in a bad situation. Again, so glad you are ok. ????

• onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 154 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@fzrrich said:
    @onemat That is an amazing story! That was definitely a situation that went from bad to worse quickly! I'm glad it all worked out and you are ok. It's also great to hear how ZTE tech helped save your life! I'm sure there are other stories out there of how tech helped out in a bad situation. Again, so glad you are ok. ????

Hey fzrrich... Yes I'm OK. I still get the shakes when I think about it but I'm way better than I was the first few weeks. I bought another Jeep and I'm having fun tweaking it.
    The Quartz is 75% off at T-Mobile... It's time everyone went out and got one.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you are OK @onemat !

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

That's a heck of a story @onemat. Very good to know you are ok and that the Quartz worked well for you in such a grim situation. Stay strong!

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! I am glad you came out that ordeal unscathed and hope that hour wait went by fast. Praise the phone on your wrist for not making a horrible situation even scarier. @onemat

• androidguyandroidguy Philadelphia, PAPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭✭

@onemat, glad you're okay! Awesome use of your technology.