ZTE GRAND X3 is unable to let google account be set as the backup account

twisterspin3twisterspin3 United StatesPosts: 9 ✭✭✭✭

I am fed up with this issue. I first noticed this issue back in July of this year when I performed a factory reset because my device was having issues. When I logged back in to my google, I tried to restore from the backup that google saved for my phone. To my surprise, there was no backup available for the grand x3 (z959). At that point, I reached out to zte support. I sent the phone in to be repaired. When I received the phone back, I attempted to log in and set up again. To my shock, the backup account feature was greyed out. I reached out to zte support again. We tried every troubleshooting tip available to no success. So I sent the phone in again (this was mid August). Another device was sent to me. I logged in...same problem. So I contacted zte support again in the beginning of September. Again we tried the troubleshooting tips. Nothing. I send that device in. MInd you this the second device sent to me with this issue, the 3rd device I had with this issue. In late September, they finally sent me another device. I try again, the issue is still there. As this point, I am extremely frustrated. I reach out to zte support again. We try all troubleshooting tips again. No success. Then I find out that all that has been done is that they're simply exchanging devices. No one is making any real attempt to investigate the issue. The best advice I was able to get from the support was to make a post in this community forum. I've attached the picture of the issue if it'll help. I just want this issue resolved not just for me but for the other zte grand x3 users who don't even realize this is an issue.

Comments

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United States Posts: 3,920 admin

@twisterspin3 When setting up your device, are you restoring from a previous device or starting as a brand new device?

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2017 4:36PM

Log into your google account on a computer and go to Google Drive, if you have any backup data it will show here, if you see this message than there is no stored backup

If your on Google drive on your phone you just swipe left to open the menu and select backup just like on the pc, I included what that looks like below and it will also show you what it looks like if there is backups listed

• twisterspin3twisterspin3 United StatesPosts: 9 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2017 2:35AM

@sshasan said:
    @twisterspin3 When setting up your device, are you restoring from a previous device or starting as a brand new device?

@sshasan I started as a brand new device.

edited October 7, 2017 2:39AM

@musicdjm said:
    Log into your google account on a computer and go to Google Drive, if you have any backup data it will show here, if you see this message than there is no stored backup

If your on Google drive on your phone you just swipe left to open the menu and select backup just like on the pc, I included what that looks like below and it will also show you what it looks like if there is backups listed

@musicdjm I checked for this as well. There was no backup for the Z959 (Grand X3). However, there were backups available for my other devices.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's saying no account is storing the backup, because there are no backups stored.
    Once you turn on the backup function, you need to give it time to store a backup, or force it to do so if it offers that option. Once it auto-stores a backup, then you'll see it in your Google Drive settings as mentioned above.

One thing to be aware of that most don't bother checking, is to make sure your Google Dashboard is in order.
    You really can't do anything with backups there like you used to be able to, but a good idea to go through things and make sure they are in order. https://myaccount.google.com/dashboard

Personally I never use Google backup anymore. It's really not reliable, and I feel better off using a decent 3rd party app to do backups instead. I think it may have improved some over the last year though.

@DoppelgangerD said:
    It's saying no account is storing the backup, because there are no backups stored.
    Once you turn on the backup function, you need to give it time to store a backup, or force it to do so if it offers that option. Once it auto-stores a backup, then you'll see it in your Google Drive settings as mentioned above.

One thing to be aware of that most don't bother checking, is to make sure your Google Dashboard is in order.
    You really can't do anything with backups there like you used to be able to, but a good idea to go through things and make sure they are in order. https://myaccount.google.com/dashboard

Personally I never use Google backup anymore. It's really not reliable, and I feel better off using a decent 3rd party app to do backups instead. I think it may have improved some over the last year though.

@DoppelgangerD even if there is no backup stored for the device, the google account is supposed to be set up as the backup account by default. The issue is that the phone won't let me turn on the backup function because the option stays greyed out. On all the other phones I have, when I logged in to my google, google was set as the backup account and proceeded to backup the necessary info. When I first bought the grand x3, this was not an issue. I'm not sure when the issue started but it must've been sometime before July of this year.

I use other apps to back up other forms of data as well. Be that as it may, this is a feature that comes standard on every android device and it isn't working and zte was "not aware" of the issue so I'm trying to see if this can be resolved.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DoppelgangerD even if there is no backup stored for the device, the google account is supposed to be set up as the backup account by default. The issue is that the phone won't let me turn on the backup function because the option stays greyed out. On all the other phones I have, when I logged in to my google, google was set as the backup account and proceeded to backup the necessary info. When I first bought the grand x3, this was not an issue. I'm not sure when the issue started but it must've been sometime before July of this year.

I use other apps to back up other forms of data as well. Be that as it may, this is a feature that comes standard on every android device and it isn't working and zte was "not aware" of the issue so I'm trying to see if this can be resolved.

Are you denying Google any requested permissions during setup?
    If you navigate to the main settings menu, is there a sub-menu titled "Accounts"?... and if so,
    when you open it, is there a Google account in there?

@DoppelgangerD said:

Are you denying Google any requested permissions during setup?
    If you navigate to the main settings menu, is there a sub-menu titled "Accounts"?... and if so,
    when you open it, is there a Google account in there?

@DoppelgangerD I am not denying Google any requested permissions. And yes, my google account is there

@jimlloyd40 said:

@twisterspin3 said:
    I am fed up with this issue. I first noticed this issue back in July of this year when I performed a factory reset because my device was having issues. When I logged back in to my google, I tried to restore from the backup that google saved for my phone. To my surprise, there was no backup available for the grand x3 (z959). At that point, I reached out to zte support. I sent the phone in to be repaired. When I received the phone back, I attempted to log in and set up again. To my shock, the backup account feature was greyed out. I reached out to zte support again. We tried every troubleshooting tip available to no success. So I sent the phone in again (this was mid August). Another device was sent to me. I logged in...same problem. So I contacted zte support again in the beginning of September. Again we tried the troubleshooting tips. Nothing. I send that device in. MInd you this the second device sent to me with this issue, the 3rd device I had with this issue. In late September, they finally sent me another device. I try again, the issue is still there. As this point, I am extremely frustrated. I reach out to zte support again. We try all troubleshooting tips again. No success. Then I find out that all that has been done is that they're simply exchanging devices. No one is making any real attempt to investigate the issue. The best advice I was able to get from the support was to make a post in this community forum. I've attached the picture of the issue if it'll help. I just want this issue resolved not just for me but for the other zte grand x3 users who don't even realize this is an issue.

@twisterspin3 I agree with you about the problem but and please I'm not intending to be insulting but before I would have gone through all the aggravation and time spent returning the phones I would have just set it up as a new device. Are you absolutely certain that you had back up my data and restore turned on in your previous phone? And are you also certain that during the setup process of the Grand X3 that you selected "from a backup" and instead selected "set up as a new device"? If you selected setup "as a new device" thinking that this is a new phone then it wouldn't have transferred your settings and apps etc.

@jimlloyd40 Back up and restore is on in all my phones. I never turn it off. During the setup process, I found the backups for my other devices but not for the Grand X3. I tried setting up as a new device. After that, I proceeded to install apps as usual. However, there was an issue with removing a security pin so I had to start all over (this was during one of the sessions with zte support while still trying to solve the backup account issue.). So when I started over, I set up as a new device and I did not set a security pin in the hopes that the backup account issue would not be greyed out. It still was.

When I did restore from a previous backup, it did reinstall apps from that previous backup. However, it never created a new backup specifically for the Grand X3.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@twisterspin3 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@twisterspin3 said:

@twisterspin3 I agree with you about the problem but and please I'm not intending to be insulting but before I would have gone through all the aggravation and time spent returning the phones I would have just set it up as a new device. Are you absolutely certain that you had back up my data and restore turned on in your previous phone? And are you also certain that during the setup process of the Grand X3 that you selected "from a backup" and instead selected "set up as a new device"? If you selected setup "as a new device" thinking that this is a new phone then it wouldn't have transferred your settings and apps etc.

@jimlloyd40 Back up and restore is on in all my phones. I never turn it off. During the setup process, I found the backups for my other devices but not for the Grand X3. I tried setting up as a new device. After that, I proceeded to install apps as usual. However, there was an issue with removing a security pin so I had to start all over (this was during one of the sessions with zte support while still trying to solve the backup account issue.). So when I started over, I set up as a new device and I did not set a security pin in the hopes that the backup account issue would not be greyed out. It still was.

When I did restore from a previous backup, it did reinstall apps from that previous backup. However, it never created a new backup specifically for the Grand X3.

Did you try to use one of the other backups that it did show? That would at least bring over your apps that you previously downloaded. The settings more than likely wouldn't be exactly the same. But it's just like any new phone you can choose another phone from a previous backup to copy from. I can't explain why the one that you want is greyed out.

@jimlloyd40 I did use one of the other backups and it did reinstall the apps.

I can't explain why this option is greyed out either and apparently neither can the support agents at ZTE. They suggested I post here and see if anyone else has this issue. They also said developers are on these forums so they might be able to come up with a solution...

@jimlloyd40 said:

@twisterspin3 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@twisterspin3 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@twisterspin3 said:

Did you try to use one of the other backups that it did show? That would at least bring over your apps that you previously downloaded. The settings more than likely wouldn't be exactly the same. But it's just like any new phone you can choose another phone from a previous backup to copy from. I can't explain why the one that you want is greyed out.

@jimlloyd40 I did use one of the other backups and it did reinstall the apps.

I can't explain why this option is greyed out either and apparently neither can the support agents at ZTE. They suggested I post here and see if anyone else has this issue. They also said developers are on these forums so they might be able to come up with a solution...

I agree with you. It sucks. It is pretty funny though that the people who are getting paid to allegedly be the experts are sending you to the forum for help. They should just donate their salaries to us :D

@jimlloyd40 Agreed!! :D

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@twisterspin3

Have you tried the following:

https://support.google.com/nexus/forum/AAAANseOu183AIQrlurZmU/?hl=en

Solution for "Backup account" grayed out in "Backup & reset"

• Turn off "Automatic restore" and "Back up my data", in this order;

• Reboot;

• Turn on "Back up my data";

• The "Backup account" item will now let you set the account (repeat until the account name is shown after setting);

• Turn on "Automatic restore".

Google should give this issue a fix.

Also here is another thread where the issue has been resolved also:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/android-4-4-kitkat/344756-why-does-my-nexus-say-no-account-currently-storing-backup-data.html

edited October 21, 2017 3:28AM

@coldheat06 said:
    @twisterspin3

Have you tried the following:

https://support.google.com/nexus/forum/AAAANseOu183AIQrlurZmU/?hl=en

Solution for "Backup account" grayed out in "Backup & reset"

• Turn off "Automatic restore" and "Back up my data", in this order;

• Reboot;

• Turn on "Back up my data";

• The "Backup account" item will now let you set the account (repeat until the account name is shown after setting);

• Turn on "Automatic restore".

Google should give this issue a fix.

Also here is another thread where the issue has been resolved also:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/android-4-4-kitkat/344756-why-does-my-nexus-say-no-account-currently-storing-backup-data.html

@coldheat06 The steps you mentioned are the very steps that the support agent at zte I last spoke with suggested I take. It did not work. I even tried these steps again. No success. It's just something wrong with this particular model and ZTE won't do anything about it. This is what I get for getting a cheap phone...