What is the SpeedUpService and why is it killing my apps?

G8351427G8351427 USAPosts: 9 ✭✭✭

I have been having problems with a couple of apps that run in the background not working as they should. I finally decided to monitor my phone using ADB logcat and learned that the problem is a ZTE service killing the app in question whenever I switch away from it.

How do I access the com.zte.heartyservice.strategy.SpeedUpService and get it to STOP KILLING MY APPS?

It's apparently not possible to disable this application in the settings; pm hide com.zte.heartyservice.strategy does not work either since the permission is blocked.

I don't even understand why something like this would even need to exist on Android since the OS manages its running processes effectively on its own. Seriously. Stop doing stuff like this. It's so aggressive, I have had problems with it killing apps I am actively using just by switching to the settings screen for a second.

Comments

• razor512razor512 New York Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For the ZTE specific battery management (which can kill apps),is available in the following menu.

Android settings > Power manager > Power management for apps.

A few recommendations for this menu is to click on the 3 vertical dots in the upper right hand corner of the display, and then click on Screen-lock cleaning.

Once in that menu, click on the 3 vertical dots yet again, and then click on Set all to off.

Outside of that, you can go back to Power management for apps and play around with the policies.

Outside of that, the remaining app clearing behavior is due to how they configured the native memory management for android. From my experience, it could still use improvement because it will unload some background apps even when there is some available RAM (though that can be personal preference. from some of my other devices with less RAM, I would often root them and tweak the out of memory behavior to not kick in until there is around 30MB of free memory remaining.

Anyway, the ZTE power management for apps and screen lock clearing settings should provide you the control needed to avoid those unexpected app killings.

As for the reason for such an inclusion, it seems to be an attempt to mitigate an issue that google has not done much to fix, though it also did not completely fix the issue.

One common issue (you may have likely even seen some users face it on the forums), is someone gets rapid battery drain and they have no idea why, and through troubleshooting, you have them check the battery usage, and possibly Gsam to track down what is causing the issue. But in many cases, the issue will be a radio using a ton of power or android services using a ton of power. At which point it is hard to track down the true cause, as it is likely that there is a 3rd party app that is making use of the radio or those services where the app becomes active for a millisecond or 2, but issues a command that requires a ton of work from android services or the cellular radio, but because of how android tracks app and hardware usage, it tracks the end result and not what lead to that result, thus if a misbehaving app is activating for a few milliseconds every little while, telling android services to do something CPU time consuming, then in a power usage stats, the misbehaving app can be seen as taking a fraction of a percent of power usage while in reality is is causing the rapid drain.

Due to these behaviors many phone makers have tried to find solutions to adding additional policies to potentially mitigate behaviors like that.

Overall, there is no good solution available, at least until google decides to take the issue seriously and institute a policy where background loading and services requires explicit permission from the user for each aspect of the app, that way you don't end up with a scientific calculator app wanting to add 5 additional processes to the system bootup which work to receive push notifications (just in case the dev wants advertise through your notification shade) or some other junk.

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 329 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017 1:46PM

If you're rooted you can use any system app remover to uninstall Mi-Assistant (package name com.zte.heartyservice.strategy). If not then I don't know as the only other way is through adb which doesn't work for you.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 646 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the reason Google hasn't addressed this is because the OS is becoming way too complex to configure for the average user. That is one reason that iOS has such a following. It remains simple.

• G8351427G8351427 USAPosts: 9 ✭✭✭

@razor512

I have been all through the various power management settings on the device and nothing seems to fix the problem. I noticed in the logcat, that the SpeedUpService seems to weight various processes using the "importance" flag, but I got no idea how that gets set.

I agree that Android can be a little difficult to troubleshoot battery problems, but I think so much of that has improved since Marshmallow. Forcing apps to suspend and schedule wakeups was a great way to corral all the apps together and let them do their work all at the same time and denying bad apps from wakeups instead of letting each one wake the device up whenever it felt like it. I have seen much better battery life on any device that I have which has upgraded to Marshmallow and even better on Nougat, which leads me to believe that services like this one are unnecessary.

Based on what else I have seen on this thread, it looks like my only option is to root and disable the services that way. I had hoped to be able to finally be at a point where that was no longer necessary to get a device working the way I like, but I guess not.

If I have to go to the trouble of rooting, I will probably just go the whole way and load Lineage.

Thanks for the info.

****Update****

I discovered, rather counter intuitively, that enabling "Optimize" under battery optimization (which is separate and apparently distinct from Power Management for apps) stopped my app from being killed.

That setting somehow got reset back to "Don't Optimize" on its own, but that is a different problem.

This seems like a good example of a lot of little inconsistencies/oddities I have found around the OS.

At least I have found part of the problem. I would still like the option to be able to disable some of these ZTE applications, but without root, it's impossible.

****UPDATE 2****

I found in the settings, a section that allows you to select which apps can modify system settings, including other system apps. I don't even know where it is; there are so many settings sections. Just search for "system" to find it.

I disallowed StrategyProvider from modifying system settings, and all of the problems with apps being killed has stopped.

It's not the same as removing the bloatware, but it seems about as good while keeping the device stock.