Questions on new Maven 3 Z835

I new Maven 3 Z835 and I can't even find it in support to be able to look anything up.

I'm looking to move the My Calendar from a Paragon to this new device,

I'd also like to get ZTE Note installed on the new one if possible.

Comments

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United States Posts: 3,773 admin

@Conflustered below is the link to where you can find the manual for the Maven 3.

https://goo.gl/yZocNP

• ConflusteredConflustered USPosts: 24 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not fond of URL shorteners since I can't see the underlying link.

As a ZTE employee, I wouldn't lead you to the forbidden garden.

https://zte-iqorsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5450/kw/Z835

A quick scan trough the manual shows that it may be useful for future questions but it does not tell me how to:

1. Transfer 'My Calendar" events from my Paragon. This appears to be a native ZTE program.
    2. Find and install the ZTE Note utility that I have on the Paragon.

Where can I find those answers.

On you ZTE Paragon go into the menu options (3 stacked dots) for the native calendar app. Your Gmail account should show there. Click on your email address and check to see if it has been synced.

All of the items on your calendar should sync to you Maven 3 if you have signed into the device with the same email account.

As far at the ZTE Notepad, that utility has been discontinued and is no longer available.

• jasonejasone United States Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've never used the native ZTE calendar app but I'm not seeing a way to sync calendar events. Even when I created one on one device and tried another ZTE device and refreshed them both several times it didn't sync. I'd suggest moving to the Google Calendar app from the Play Store which I've always used and syncs across every device. For notes I'd also suggest switching to either Google Keep or Google Docs which will also sync across every device and bonus all 3 can also be accessed from a web browser as well.

@sshasan said:
    On you ZTE Paragon go into the menu options (3 stacked dots) for the native calendar app. Your Gmail account should show there. Click on your email address and check to see if it has been synced.

All of the items on your calendar should sync to you Maven 3 if you have signed into the device with the same email account.

That is all set and it does not Sync. It seems to show that it should, but does not. We're talking about the native utility named 'My Calendar'

@Conflustered correct the native calendar. Just to make sure that your Gmail account is sync calendar events... On both devices go into Settings---Accounts--- Google Account and make sure calendar sync is turned on. You'll have to wait a little while just to make sure they are syncing. If 15-20 minutes go by and you still don't see any events put up on the Maven 3 we'll have to try something else.

@sshasan said:
    @Conflustered correct the native calendar. Just to make sure that your Gmail account is sync calendar events... On both devices go into Settings---Accounts--- Google Account and make sure calendar sync is turned on. You'll have to wait a little while just to make sure they are syncing. If 15-20 minutes go by and you still don't see any events put up on the Maven 3 we'll have to try something else.

Don't have one of those. Only Outlook.

Can't find a way to copy the native Calendar into an Outlook calendar on the Paragon either which could then be synced. Seems like the ZTE gang missed the boat here.

Next issue: When Maven is alseep, press the power button, try to use Long Press to unlock --- screen is unresponsive, even when trying to press in different areas. Eventually it will work and it doesn't happen every time. Have 'None' selected for now in screen lock options.

Thought/Feedback that nobody can fix: USB plug on bottom makes it impossible to stand the device up while charging or copying files via USB.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Conflustered why don't you install the Outlook calendar on both phones and then you only have to sign in to be synchronized?

If your phone is turned on but the screen is off you wouldn't long press the power button to light up the screen you would just click the power button once. The only time that you would long press the power button is when the phone is off and you're turning it on. Or when you're pushing the power button and one of the volume buttons to get into Safe mode or recovery.

Why can't people answer the questions as asked?

I asked about the native calendar. I didn't ask out email based calendars. I want to know how to sync the native calendar to another device. I don't care about third party email based calendars.

I didn't mention 'long pressing' the power button. I mentioned long pressing the screen to unlock after clicking the power button.

The location of the USB connector is not mentioned in specs, so there is no way to 'shop' for that beforehand.

Now I find an issue with the native Music player. On the Paragon, track number vs. track list shows (Track 3 of 11 for example) as does the elapsed time vs. total time of a track (2:36/4:50 for example) while any given track is playing. I don't see that on the Maven. Nor do I see a way to Sort tracks or albums by Title, Time or Artist as there is in the Paragon. Is there a setting I['m missing to enable thi8s kind of display? No, I don't want suggestions on third party players. I'm asking about how to use the native player ONLY.

@jimlloyd40 said:

First of all the people who are trying to help you don't have that phone. Therefore I haven't seen the native calendar that you're talking about to access its settings to see if there is a way to do what you want.
    Read what you originally said and you will see why it sounds like you are long pressing the power button. It was ambiguous. You need to be very explicit with the wording.

Click the Power Button, then Long Press the screen to unlock is a standard security function offered as opposed to using a pattern, password or PIN. One wouldn't have to use either of these two phones to know that. This screen is also acting up in other ways and I'm wondering if I have a defective device somehow. In settings, if I click on Sounds some other option will open for example. I may have to try two or three times to get Sounds to open to edit those settings.

The native Calendar seems to be a ZTE installation, so wouldn't it be similar across all ZTE devices with the same O/S ? Why would one need either of these phones to address those questions? Google said it wasn't theirs.

Screen rotation only works in some things. Screen does not rotate in Music or Calendar, but does in browsers and the WPS Office utility and some others.

• jasonejasone United States Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2017 12:37PM

The long pressing issue just sounds like it could be lag or possibly the phone taking time to wake up from sleep mode. This phone has a very weak processor and lag is to be expected. I've never used this phone before and I've only used the native calendar app once to try to test your problem.

I'm sorry you're having issues but there is a reason there is a whole app market out there. It's because generally, you can find an app that does things better than the built in apps. Such as Google Calendar which should be included to begin with and is considered a native app to Android.

I'm not sure what the music player looks like on either phones, but there again many options on the Play Store which are probably much better. I know you want to know about the native apps, but we don't have those phones or even know what these apps look like or how they are supposed to function. We're just trying to help you as best as we can with the knowledge we have. You could try the Shuttle Music Player it is my personal favorite, but there are many other good ones.

As for standing up while charging, most phones have the USB port on the bottom of the phone. The best way to deal with this is by simply buying a dock. One such as this would be best because it would work with many phones and no matter what plug it uses micro USB, USB-C, or even Lightning.

edited October 15, 2017 12:38PM

Just double checked. The calendar and music player both rotate in the Paragon. Why should I have to add something from a third party to make a phone that is supposed to be newer and more advanced to make it do what an older one does?

Is there somewhere else I should be asking these questions to get answers from people who do know? They seem like fairly basic questions, but all I'm getting is deflection to add something else.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Conflustered Have you tried to log into your Google account on a PC to see if your calendar is sync'd?

Also you may want to look into getting a phone stand if you want to stand the device up and charge it. I use the following and really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Cell-Phone-Stand-Lamicall-iPhone/dp/B014INJCT4

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@coldheat06 said:
    @Conflustered Have you tried to log into your Google account on a PC to see if your calendar is sync'd?

Also you may want to look into getting a phone stand if you want to stand the device up and charge it. I use the following and really like it.

He wants the built-in (preinstalled) calendar to sync from his Paragon phone to the Maven 3.

Yes I understand, but if he has the pre-installed app syncing then he should be able to see the calendar events on his google calendar also.

One thing about this is that it seems to have accepted a 16G card as Internal Storage. I'm still under the original 8G on the device (around 7.8), so I'm not sure what will happen when I go over that.

I see others complaining about the ZFive which was one I was looking closely at before finding this one.

Nearly all similar ones I looked at showed that they took cards, but I couldn't be sure if they could work as internal. That detail is NOT shown in any of the ZTE specs I found.

Screen issue seems to be better, but there are still times when I tap on one thing and something else will open.

edited October 22, 2017 10:32AM

@coldheat06 said:

Are these connectors standardized? Would something like this work where the connector is built in?

https://www.amazon.com/Efanr-Aluminum-Charging-Lightning-Connector/dp/B01MD21O2X/ref=sr_1_22?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1508681780&sr=1-22&keywords=charging+stand

I see several others that mention a USB Type C connector.

That's the question. Are they standardized and is a USB Type C connector the same as a Mini USB connector?

Tried the FM radio function this morning and that worked fine. Just need a wired headphone set of some kind so the wire can be used as the antenna.

One problem though is that it doesn't appear possible to sort or re-order favorite stations.