Has anybody heard anything about Android Oreo (8.0) for the Axon 7?

smh032395smh032395 Posts: 35 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just curious if maybe Android Oreo is in the works for the Axon 7? Does anybody know anything? Maybe someone from @zte_usa could let us know something? Thanks for the responses!!

Best Answers

• runtohell121runtohell121 CaliforniaPosts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I haven't heard anything... But let's just hope Android Oreo is being worked on for the Axon 7.

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

No one can say for sure. ZTE has been good with the software update on Axon 7 so I am hoping that we will get Oreo. You know that as soon as it hits Axon 7, the community will be first to announce that, so just keep checking the community for any update.

Answers

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's all quiet. My guess would be no. But that's based on no logic or rumors. Just my opinion.

• musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MA Posts: 2,780 mod
    edited October 24, 2017 7:42AM

I definitely hope that we see the Oreo update from ZTE soon but either way Lineage OS for the A7 is gonna support Oreo

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I read an article yesterday (can't remember where) on which devices will get Oreo. The article said they thought A7 would be getting it. Who knows for sure. I hope we do get Oreo and time will tell.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 319 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am reading that Oreo is still buggy as heck. I can wait.

@ram1220 said:

I didn't come across any bugs in my use daily of the Pixel 2 XL. That's not to say there aren't any. I just didn't run across any.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD USA Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Based on what others have said about Oreo thus far on other devices, it doesn't really seem to offer very much over Nougat in terms of usability. To be honest I'd love to see some nice features added to the Axon 7 along with bug fixes and security updates and 7.1.2. Make it a really solid device for the foreseeable future. Just my personal opinion.
    I wouldn't mind Oreo, but if they go that route, I wonder how long they will keep up with updates, bug fixes, etc since the device is already over a year old.

edited October 24, 2017 4:11PM

@DoppelgangerD said:
    Based on what others have said about Oreo thus far on other devices, it doesn't really seem to offer very much over Nougat in terms of usability. To be honest I'd love to see some nice features added to the Axon 7 along with bug fixes and security updates and 7.1.2. Make it a really solid device for the foreseeable future. Just my personal opinion.
    I wouldn't mind Oreo, but if they go that route, I wonder how long they will keep up with updates, bug fixes, etc since the device is already over a year old.

@DoppelgangerD Well put, it may be better if they just update the current software and call it good if they are not going to maintain Oreo.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's about time we mention camera2.api again isn't it?

• wiseman13wiseman13 Stillwater, OKPosts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:
    It's about time we mention camera2.api again isn't it?

I even mentioned that in my CES video :)

• wmswms Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017 5:22PM

@DoppelgangerD said:

Of all of these things I'm interested in the Bluetooth audio changes, the autofiller API (it should improve performance for password manager apps that currently rely on accessibility services to enable filling in credentials in apps. Currently, password managers have to constantly poll your screen for "what app is opened right now." Having a dedicated method to auto-fill should eliminate the need for this constant polling.) The random ART and Doze improvements, screen overlay notification (for security), and Project Treble.

It was actually a huge update for the geeky-type

Audio Video:
    * supports wide color gamuts in apps
    * Bluetooth Audio codec control
    * Picture-in-Picture
    * adaptive icons (meh)
    * Unicode 10 emojis (meh)

Networking:
    * Neighborhood Aware Networking (NAN) for Wi-Fi based on Wi-Fi Aware
    * an API to allow system-level integration for VoIP apps, and launching activities on remote displays

Security and Performance:
    * Screen Overlay notifications
    * an API for autofillers
    * multiprocess and Google Safe Browsing support for WebViews
    * Android Runtime (ART) features performance improvements and better cache handling.
    * background activities limits in order to improve battery life.

Core Architecture:
    * Project Treble

The underlying architecture of Android was revised so that low-level, vendor-specific code for supporting a device's hardware is separated from the Android OS framework using a hardware abstraction layer known as the "vendor interface". Vendor interfaces must be made forward compatible with future versions of Android; theoretically, OEMs would only need to perform their necessary modifications to the OS framework and bundled apps to update a device to a future version of Android, while maintaining the same vendor interface. The "seamless updates" concept introduced in Android 7.0 is updated to download update files directly to the system partition, rather than requiring them to be downloaded to the user partition first, thus reducing storage space requirements for system updates.

a new automatic repair system known as "Rescue Party"; if the operating system detects that core system components are persistently crashing during startup, it will automatically perform a series of escalating repair steps. If all automatic repair steps are exhausted, the device will reboot into recovery mode and offer to perform a factory reset.

misc:
    * Notification Channels (meh. who cares.)

• theshriketheshrike CaliforniaPosts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭

ZTE is still selling the Axon 7 correct? It would seem like if they are still selling it, and it had a two year warranty they should support it during the warranty period. Perhaps I am being too hopeful? Also since they are still selling them it seems like people would be more likely to keep buying them if they announced the Oreo update was in the works. I guess the reverse would be true also, people would be less likely to buy a new Axon 7 if ZTE announced they will not be updating it to Oreo. Perhaps that's why they have not said anything.

I am very happy with the current state of the device, I just wish ZTE would communicate with their customers a little better. So many other companies have released lists of which devices will get updated to Oreo and which devices will not.

• Emo665Emo665 USPosts: 1 ✭✭✭

@dnewman007 said:

@ram1220 said:

I didn't come across any bugs in my use daily of the Pixel 2 XL. That's not to say there aren't any. I just didn't run across any.

Nougat is still foggy as hell too

• smh032395smh032395 Posts: 35 ✭✭✭✭✭

@theshrike ZTE isn't selling the Axon 7 anymore in the states it's been discontinued on their main website

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@theshrike said:
    ZTE is still selling the Axon 7 correct? It would seem like if they are still selling it, and it had a two year warranty they should support it during the warranty period. Perhaps I am being too hopeful? Also since they are still selling them it seems like people would be more likely to keep buying them if they announced the Oreo update was in the works. I guess the reverse would be true also, people would be less likely to buy a new Axon 7 if ZTE announced they will not be updating it to Oreo. Perhaps that's why they have not said anything.

I am very happy with the current state of the device, I just wish ZTE would communicate with their customers a little better. So many other companies have released lists of which devices will get updated to Oreo and which devices will not.

@theshrike as @smh032395 said ZTE is not still selling the A7. They haven't had any available for a few months now. Some third party resellers still have some and yes ZTE will still honor the 2 year warranty.
    And you're absolutely correct some companies do say in advance what phones will be updated to the next version of Android and I wish that ZTE was one of them.

• PruikkiPruikki EarthPosts: 20 ✭✭✭✭✭

No,No Oreo i bet.
    perhaps 8.0.2 at some point but id say nope.(because they said no to Camera Api2 and No to Bootloader unlocking)
    because if oreo comes, device will be good in 2018 .

device for consumers, not Prosumers...
    so not ideal for modding etc. For that you have One+1 phones...

Thats still why till this day i still use my S4, because easy to mod and so on.
    but bought Axon 7 because 5.5 1440p Amoled and stereo...
    looks like ill use it till battery dies on axon...
    oh well,slighty off topic :D

@Pruikki said:
    No,No Oreo i bet.
    perhaps 8.0.2 at some point but id say nope.(because they said no to Camera Api2 and No to Bootloader unlocking)
    because if oreo comes, device will be good in 2018 .

device for consumers, not Prosumers...
    so not ideal for modding etc. For that you have One+1 phones...

Thats still why till this day i still use my S4, because easy to mod and so on.
    but bought Axon 7 because 5.5 1440p Amoled and stereo...
    looks like ill use it till battery dies on axon...
    oh well,slighty off topic :D

@Pruikki 8.0 is Oreo and there is no 8.0.2. Oreo 8.1 will be available soon. And the Camera2 API and unlocked bootloader have nothing to do with Oreo.

Thank you for correcting.
    yes, you understood my point :smile:

edited October 29, 2017 9:55AM
  • jazzijazzi Posts: 105 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems to me we're jumping the gun a bit. We're still on Nougat 7.1.1 while 7.1.2 has been out for months. Version 7.1.1 is working well enough but a look in on 7.1.2 before the migration to 8.0 would not be amiss.

• M25201M25201 Cincinnati, OHPosts: 8 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm using RR on my axon 7 with 7.1.2 and had no issues although Dolby Atmos don't work. But I use viper4android instead. The rooting process and all was a pain in the rear.

@M25201 said:
    I'm using RR on my axon 7 with 7.1.2 and had no issues although Dolby Atmos don't work. But I use viper4android instead. The rooting process and all was a pain in the rear.

Was it easy to root? using toolkit?
    "one klick style" or "input various codes commands then do this and that style?"

@Pruikki said:

@M25201 said:

"one klick style" or "input various codes commands then do this and that style?"

No it's not easy to do and unless you're very experienced with rooting I would be careful to not end up with a brick.

edited October 31, 2017 11:03AM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Pruikki said:

@M25201 said:

No it's not easy to do and unless you're very experienced with rooting I would be careful to not end up with a brick.

Well i have rooted several devices in past, from Froyo to jellybean. (Htc DHD,Xperia S, S3, S4, nexus 7...)
    after all i am XDA member since 2010. BUT, i have been out of the "scene" for long time so i dont know how easy or hard it is these days :smile:

i hear its possible but just has wayyy too many steps to follow in perfect order... hehe

@Pruikki said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Pruikki said:

@M25201 said:

Well i have rooted several devices in past, from Froyo to jellybean. (Htc DHD,Xperia S, S3, S4, nexus 7...)
    after all i am XDA member since 2010. BUT, i have been out of the "scene" for long time so i dont know how easy or hard it is these days :smile:

i hear its possible but just has wayyy too many steps to follow in perfect order... hehe

@Pruikki with your experience you shouldn't have any problems.

• M25201M25201 Cincinnati, OHPosts: 8 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pruikki said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Pruikki said:

@M25201 said:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/development/tool-axon7toolkit-t3573108

I'd be super careful

• htyhzdhtyhzd Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

It will be Jan 2018. Confirmed with chinese source

@htyhzd said:

Care to provide your source @htyhzd?

• htyhzdhtyhzd Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@htyhzd said:

Care to provide your source @htyhzd?

Yes, if you can read chinese. The message is posted by a senior manager of ZTE China