Do you think ZTE will ever communicate with it's customers?

redbirdredbird MichianaPosts: 48 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like the title asks, I wonder if ZTE will ever speak to it's plans for the A7 going forward. I see many questions asked by users in this forum, OS updates, security updates, feature updates, etc. I see much speculation by other users by no real information from ZTE.

I sent this question to ZTE the other day and have not heard a thing. I sent a pre-sale request to Essential Phone asking the same question and they got back to me the same day stating the will offer monthly security updates for three years and OS updates for two. Other manufacturers also give some sort of outline about how long they will support their phones as well.

It could just be that I'm suffering a little buyers remorse here. I still think this is a great phone, loaded with features for a very modest price. But I find the lack of communication from ZTE reason enough to consider going elsewhere with my next purchase.

Comments

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,747 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Some OEMS give out information. Not all. ZTE isn't a small start up like Essential Phone. They are a world wide company that has all of it's software development still done in China, even for USA models. Timelines change in software development. ZTE has the community to get out information as fast as it is available. For a unlocked phone that isn't a Nexus or Pixel, ZTE has done a pretty good job about providing updates. Are they monthly updates? No, but they do a lot better than others. Looks for any major news on updates to be pinned at the top of the forum as they are announced.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,525 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

We are all waiting to hear something about the A7 successor. I have learned to just be patient. It will happen when it happens. :smile:

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I have been pretty impressed with the updates to my Axon 7 compared to the majority of the other phones that I have had in the past. Some have come quicker than others but overall I think they have done a great job. Taking into account that they are a Chinese company that has generally only focused on low end devices that rarely, if ever, got updated.

I have been pretty happy to. We have great community members working in the beta programs also to ensure bugs and most asked features are added to the development cycle when possible. It most likely will never be like a Pixel device where it gets updates and software development directly from Google and can be pushed out very quickly. Tech enthusiasts always want their device to be up to date, even at the Axon 7 price point. I understand that. But after talking at a ZTE Community Meetup, I really came to understand the long process they have for software updates, and they are doing a really good job with the resources they have spread across multiple countries. The USA crew has to stay up in the early AM hours sometimes to be able to talk to the software development team back in China. I think the community is a benefit of buying ZTE. It's open to anyone, but when you have a ZTE device, it really brings value to the overall cost of the device to have a place to talk and get assistance for your particular device.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2017 10:23AM

@jasonscarter said:
    I have been pretty happy to. We have great community members working in the beta programs also to ensure bugs and most asked features are added to the development cycle when possible. It most likely will never be like a Pixel device where it gets updates and software development directly from Google and can be pushed out very quickly. Tech enthusiasts always want their device to be up to date, even at the Axon 7 price point. I understand that. But after talking at a ZTE Community Meetup, I really came to understand the long process they have for software updates, and they are doing a really good job with the resources they have spread across multiple countries. The USA crew has to stay up in the early AM hours sometimes to be able to talk to the software development team back in China. I think the community is a benefit of buying ZTE. It's open to anyone, but when you have a ZTE device, it really brings value to the overall cost of the device to have a place to talk and get assistance for your particular device.

You summed up my thoughts perfectly :) for a phone that has been available for 15 months and received 8+ updates including a major update to Nougat and is still getting updates is a pretty huge deal considering most people dont see more than a few updates if there lucky in 2 years unless you have a pixel or nexus. There is alot that goes into updates and it takes time to implement as well as a very significant cost for each update pushed out, its not as easy as just copy and pasting code from one spot to another and then sending it to phones. When you change one line of code its a ripple effect it causes changes and potential bugs in other parts of the code. This requires internal testing to make sure its stable then beta testing, additional development and then finalizing the build before pushing it out. Testing is a part that takes some time for users to get the update, test it out and report any issues and then they have to be fixed, another update pushed out and this process goes back and forth until a good working build is achieved. ZTE has spoken out in the past about updates and whenever a security issues is discovered they are quick to comment as well. ZTE has mods in the community every day constantly replying and posting the information that is available.

• PruikkiPruikki EarthPosts: 21 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, For a Chinese company this is A level updates and fixes,all good.

But in requests from users is not well taken, No Camera Api2 no Unlocked Bootloader etc, Small stuff only 20% of users need but still...

For a chinese company,yes, Amazing support!
    Gearbest is selling last stock so i think support will end soon.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    The OP asked if ZTE would communicate their intentions going forward with respect to updates. I agree that communication has been lax. As others have pointed out the A7 has received several updates. But we don't know going forward ZTE 's intentions with updating to Oreo or security patches. Until the recent security patch update it had been over 5 months since the last security patch update. As the OP pointed out in his example Essential got back to him right away with their intentions. Most companies don't say upfront what updates their phones will get but it would be nice if ZTE was upfront like Essential. That seems like a very simple request and is something that ZTE could point to as a positive for purchasing their phones.

The Essential phone was just released and its easy for anyone to say what there are going to do in the future when you just get started. However comparing a device that was just released to a device that was released a year and a half ago just isnt the same thing. ZTE when it announced the Axon M stated its continued support for atleast 2 years

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Part of the issue is that software update is not easy. With Android 8, Google is trying to make it easier so, hopefully, this would make it easier to push updates to our device.

I think more communication is where ZTE is heading and that is part of the reason why the community existed so that there will have more direct chatters among not just the ZTE owner but also people from ZTE. I think feedback like this definitely helps ZTE to understand what we, as customer, values so that ZTE can do better in the future.

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@samsamha said:
    Part of the issue is that software update is not easy. With Android 8, Google is trying to make it easier so, hopefully, this would make it easier to push updates to our device.

I think more communication is where ZTE is heading and that is part of the reason why the community existed so that there will have more direct chatters among not just the ZTE owner but also people from ZTE. I think feedback like this definitely helps ZTE to understand what we, as customer, values so that ZTE can do better in the future.

ZTE could start by saying whether or not the A7 will get Oreo if that's where ZTE is headed.

Honestly, I don't they know for sure yet.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@chuckbort said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@samsamha said:

ZTE could start by saying whether or not the A7 will get Oreo if that's where ZTE is headed.

Honestly, I don't they know for sure yet.

If that's true then that's the problem and is the reason why people buy Google phones because they know what OS and security updates they'll get. For someone like me that generally doesn't keep a phone that long it's not as big of a deal but for people who want to keep a phone for 2 or 3 years that's a problem.

It's easier for an OEM such as OnePlus, Google, and Essential to promise updates because they only have a handful devices to work with. An OEM such as ZTE, or Lenovo for example has devices spread across multiple niches, budgets, carriers, and unlocked. If a carrier orders an update for a device, ZTE developers may very well have to stop updating a different device in order to provide it. This will slow down the time it takes to produce updates. Then there are issues non related to ZTE, such as the Playstore issue and the Facebook debacle. Both code issues that were not related to ZTE, but ZTE developers fixed them.

I applaud Essential for making a promise that it may very keep or not keep. It's not a warranty or guarantee, just a "promise". If I was the type that NEEDED software updates, I would by a Pixel. I do want security Updates, which I think all OEMs will benefit from with Project Treble in the near future. I'd rather hear nothing than be given a promise only to have the OEM not follow through on it.

A lot of people could care less about getting Oreo provided their current phone works for them. Have a friend who bought a Moto G4...he got Nougat and when I told him he wouldn't be getting 8.0, he said "Oh well, I got one major update, the phone only costs $250." He came from an iPhone 4 and he ran that thing into the ground before he got a new phone.

During the time the Axon released was a few months after the stagefright scare it was the start of OEMS working with individual security patches each month this is something that even the biggest manufacture in the world is struggling with. With product design and production cycles the phones from this year and going forward would be in a different position to be able to make claims of updates for a certain period of time as the cost of updates and changes in practices can be accounted for accordingly into the cost of the device, this is just one of the reasons this year systematically OEMS are raising prices. The Axon isnt done getting updates and ZTE is still adding features during updates like the last one update to B32 which was just under 2 months ago so keep in eye out

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Before ZTE can say if they will update that have to wait for the chip providers to commit to and then release drivers for the new version, so I to think it is fair to say ZTE might not know if they can even deliver Android O even if they want to. For instance you can updated the OS, but with all of the changes with Trebble I do not know for sure they can use the latest device drivers from Android N in Android O.

@wiseman13 said:
    Before ZTE can say if they will update that have to wait for the chip providers to commit to and then release drivers for the new version, so I to think it is fair to say ZTE might not know if they can even deliver Android O even if they want to. For instance you can updated the OS, but with all of the changes with Trebble I do not know for sure they can use the latest device drivers from Android N in Android O.

Goodpoint. How much effort if QUALCOMM going to provide for 820 chipset for 8.0. 835, surely. 821, most likely. But 820 is now 3 versions behind, and maybe soon to be 4 versions.

For $400, ZTE does good enough. If security updates are a must have, at this time, I would say a ZTE device is just not for you. Even with the A7 being their so called "flagship. Pixel with direct support from Google, or even Blackberry/TCL with their commitment to security might be a better fit.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@wiseman13 said:

Don't the drivers come with the OS update?

No the component suppliers produce the driver, that would require Google producing different builds for each device. The operating system is separate part of the required code, they dont produce the kernel, modem drivers or other OEM pieces of the code.

And I would say, it's a hard line to walk to continue to appeal to us Z-Community enthusiasts and our laundry list of requests, plus also devote resources on development to grow ZTE as a major consumer brand for the everyday person out there who may not care about everything we want to have in our devices.

• ryampolskyryampolsky United StatesPosts: 231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2017 3:19PM

@jasonscarter said:
    Goodpoint. How much effort if QUALCOMM going to provide for 820 chipset for 8.0. 835, surely. 821, most likely. But 820 is now 3 versions behind, and maybe soon to be 4 versions.

For $400, ZTE does good enough. If security updates are a must have, at this time, I would say a ZTE device is just not for you. Even with the A7 being their so called "flagship. Pixel with direct support from Google, or even Blackberry/TCL with their commitment to security might be a better fit.

Folks, there are already 820 devices with Oreo. This is not a Qualcomm issue. The A7 may have some driver issues due to its oddball sound system, but it's not the 820. And for what it's worth, A7 sound supposedly works okay under LineageOS already - presumably without any special drivers (though, to their credit, ZTE has helped the LOS developer with his porting efforts in the past).

And as far as having too many devices to support - well, that's not a selling point. Most of them get sold through various pre-paid mobile companies - and I don't know why each demands a unique device. But they don't seem to get updates at all. The A7 was a foray into a new market - where updates are part of the equation. What this original post is really asking is whether ZTE is serious about this market - or whether they've essentially given up. And yeah, ZTE themselves probably don't know the answer to that. But all rumors point to an A7 successor in the works, so verifying that shouldn't be so hard. Then again, the thing may never make it to market...

On the positive side, there's a thread in the 'Blog' section about community members being invited as ZTE's guests to CES 2018 in Vegas. I can't imagine they'd do that if they're not planning on announcing some stuff we'll be happy about there...

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2017 3:51PM

@samsamha said:

I am sorry but I do not see any proof at all that "more communication is where ZTE is heading." ZTE has received an F not only in communicating over the last year, but also in lagging behind in security updates. Yes they have pushed other updates. But for security and communicating with its customers they receive an F. Exactly why others I know as well as myself will not be buying ZTE in the future.

edited October 26, 2017 4:39PM

.> @ram1220 said:

@samsamha said:

I am sorry but I do not see any proof at all that "more communication is where ZTE is heading." ZTE has received an F not only in communicating over the last year, but also in lagging behind in security updates. Yes they have pushed other updates. But for security and communicating with its customers they receive an F. Exactly why others I know as well as myself will not be buying ZTE in the future.

The proof is in the pudding, the mod squad is here communicating everyday. Im not sure who people are hoping for from ZTE to respond but we are here to relay feedback and information between ZTE and the Z-community . ZTE is always listening and responding its just not gonna be the CEO or a VP they dont have the time to spend responding to each individual request on the community.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@musicdjm said:
    .> @ram1220 said:

@samsamha said:

The proof is in the pudding, the mod squad is here communicating everyday. Im not sure who people are hoping for from ZTE to respond but we are here to relay feedback and information between ZTE and the Z-community . ZTE is always listening and responding its just not gonna be the CEO or a VP they dont have the time to spend responding to each individual request on the community.

Really? I posted a message in a thread about the WiFi Hotspot feature not allow access to the internet to every single ZTE employee listed in this forum (on the right side) and not a single one of them replied.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@stevec5375 said:
    Really? I posted a message in a thread about the WiFi Hotspot feature not allow access to the internet to every single ZTE employee listed in this forum (on the right side) and not a single one of them replied.

Do you mean this thread? => https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/22175/wifi-hotspot-problem-axon-7-usa/p1
    It looks like you got a myriad of people trying to help in that thread.
    If troubleshooting issues didn't resolve the issue, then you need to contact ZTE tech support directly to have the device repaired/replaced. While we are here to help, there's only so much anyone can do.
    At a certain point, you have to take action to get it fixed.