ZTEA2017U Bootloop After Update - Weird Mechanical Noise

ZTEmasterRaceZTEmasterRace Russian FederationPosts: 7 ✭✭✭✭

TLDR; updated phone to a newer OS after WPA2 exploit, set over night to update, downloaded Android 7.1.1, phone worked normally the first day until it ran out of battery and the next time it was booted, it got stuck in a bootloop. Phone gets stuck on Axon screen and vibrates as if it is about to open the system, and it gets the phone's brightness preferences and dims the screen, makes a mechanical noise after the vibration and then after a few seconds loops back around and screen becomes bright again

Hello Everybody, I hope all of you are having a good day,

So a week or so ago, the WPA2 Krack news have gotten to me, and I decided that in the best interests of my internet security, I ought to update my OS on my ZTE Axon 7, since I read online that the newer updates fix the WPA2 exploit.

With a quite large amount of battery left, I decided to do the update overnight, so there is less downtime for me. I plugged in the phone into the original ZTE charger (to make sure the battery doesn't run out), and then went to settings and update. Since it was late at night, I don't remember exactly what version of Android I was updating to. It had some launcher logo like the MiFlavor logo or some other weird desktop environment I downloaded a long time ago to use with a Windows 98 theme pack, it had given me some problems before, like I had to choose which desktop environment to use every so often as the phone would ask me "what app do you want to you to launch this"? or something like that.

Nevertheless, I'am not 100% sure, but I think the version of Android that I was updating to was something like 7.1.1 ??? It was late at night and my mind was a little hazy, I usually pay more attention to these things. Anyways, I pressed the update button to download the new OS, and I had just remembered that I needed to set my alarm clock to 7 am (although this was quite redundant). The OS said on the update screen that it would need a "manual restart" or something like that, but I had thought that it would just shut off by itself and then in the morning I'd be able to restart it.

Anyways, skip ahead a few hours, and in the morning, I turned on my phone, and it took a little bit longer to launch, It didn't say anything about the update when I turned it on, as if no update was ever done, nevertheless, it turned on and everything seemed fine. I have a widget installed on my phone called "CoolTool" Which displays Memory usage, CPU usage, and graphs the hardware utilization on a nice transparent surface in the top left hand corner of the screen. CoolTool displayed 100 % CPU usage (which it very rarely gets to) for a few minutes and the phone started to lag. This cleared up in a while. I didn't really like the new system, it seemed more laggy and the user interface how I could swipe up and down to see my notifications was rehauled and I really hated how I had to swipe up all the way through all my notifications in order to have the notifications bar go up. It wasn't too bad, I thought I could get used to it and I did pretty quickly.

Up until when I was at 15% battery, II gave my phone to my dad who checked some of his bank accounts / social media sites that he has on my phone, he was one of the last people to use it before it entered a bootloop. I had the phone lie around near a 3d printer (my homemade prusa i3 MK2) and checked different ways to calibrate my printer. Then my dad had used the phone a little bit more, and then I noticed it had only about 5% battery. I don't remember exactly what led up to this, but the phone ended up on my piano table, and for whatever reason I heard a lot of vibrating noises from far away, much longer and more vibrations than it usually gives off when it shuts off due to low battery.

When I went to eat, I took my portable battery charger that I usually use to charge my phone when I'am far away from an outlet, like when I'am eating, I pretty much always use my Axon when I eat. I had plugged in my charger and I had some weird things happen when it charged, it kind of stopped charging (I think) and then when I tried to turn it on when I thought it had the minimum amount of battery needed to boot, it would say it has too little battery. I'am not sure but it might of started turning on and then shut off while it was booting (although this is really hazy for me, this might of never happened, probably never did). So I sat there and ate my food for about an hour or so and it kept on the Axon screen.

At this point, I knew something was wrong, but I didnt know how to fix it, so I left it on the bootloop for a while and had it run out of battery several times since I didn't know how to turn it off through recovery mode.

**When I turn on my phone, It goes through the ZTE splash screen and loads the golden Axon screen. It loads for a bit, but then it gives a very short vibration like it usually does seconds before displaying the OS and fully loading it on-screen, AND THEN, the Axon letters become dimmed a little bit as the phone loads the OS preferences for 50% brightness like it usually does, SO THE OS IS THERE and it remembers that last time I set the screen brightness to 50%, but then after it gives a vibration and dims, it gives off a very quiet mechanical noise inside the phone as if though something is broken, like a tiny click, sometimes there are two at once and other times there's only one click. (this may though, be attributed to the vibrator motor resetting). This happens about 1.5-2 seconds after the short vibration. It then loads for a few more seconds, and then the Axon splash screen BECOMES BRIGHT AGAIN, as if it loops back again to its previous state and then loads a bit, becomes dimmer, vibrates and creates a mechanical noise again!***

Comments

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try pressing the power button for 30-40 seconds while it is on to see if it will turn off. then after that, press and hold the power button + volume up to see if you can get to the recovery menu, and then do a factory reset.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United States Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @ZTEmasterRace
    By saying updated to latest OS update, which update are we talking about?

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017 11:25AM

This is quite a detailed story. What did you have when you went to eat?

• ZTEmasterRaceZTEmasterRace Russian FederationPosts: 7 ✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:
    This is quite a detailed story. What did you have when you went to eat?

xDDD I had some oriental Ramen Noodles and chatted with some people (in real life obviously, cuz my phone was alr bricked)

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Oh boy I don't even know where to start. What version were you on before you updated and where did the update come from? Do you have an SD card installed @ZTEmasterRace? Before proceeding if you would just answer that please.
    On a side note you really sat there and ate for "an hour or so"? :D

Yes, I had an SD card in my phone before, during, and after my update. It is an 8gb UniRex (yes it's a generic brand) SD card which had been maxed out and I stopped using it since it got filled up to about 7.8gb, so I had transferred my photo saving directory to /phone.

I read on one of these forums that a corrupted SD card may lead to boot-loops (I would personally prefer froot-loops), so I had removed the SD card and SIM card to see if it would work then again. Unfortunately, I was faced with the same issue of boot-looping so I put both the SD and SIM back and it of course boot-looped once more.

VERSION I'm really not sure what version that I was on before I updated, but I'am pretty sure that I haven't updated for at least about 3-4 months, maybe more maybe less but I'am very much sure that I was on around either Android 5 or 6? I'am not exactly sure. The version I think I was upgrading to was something like 7.1.1 ?? I'm not completely sure, like I said I was very sleepy and didn't pay much attention

I UPGRADED FROM THE SETTINGS MENU WITH THE OFFICIAL UPDATER I D"ONT EVEN KNOW WHY IT BOOTLOOPED, IT'S NOT LIKE I WAS USING SOME SHADY ROM TO UPDATE FROM SD!?!?!?!?

@DrakenFX said:
    Hi @ZTEmasterRace
    By saying updated to latest OS update, which update are we talking about?

VERSION I'm really not sure what version that I was on before I updated, but I'am pretty sure that I haven't updated for at least about 3-4 months, maybe more maybe less but I'am very much sure that I was on around either Android 5 or 6? I'am not exactly sure. The version I think I was upgrading to was something like 7.1.1 ?? I'm not completely sure, like I said I was very sleepy and didn't pay much attention

I updated because I was freaked out about the new KRACK WPA2 exploit so I decided to get an upgrade

I UPGRADED FROM THE SETTINGS MENU WITH THE OFFICIAL UPDATER I D"ONT EVEN KNOW WHY IT BOOTLOOPED, IT'S NOT LIKE I WAS USING SOME SHADY ROM TO UPDATE FROM SD!?!?!?!?

@razor512 said:
    Try pressing the power button for 30-40 seconds while it is on to see if it will turn off. then after that, press and hold the power button + volume up to see if you can get to the recovery menu, and then do a factory reset.

Well, if the operating system is corrupted, then it might still not work. I'm really not sure what to do at this point. Unfortunately, I know that most likely I will end up loosing all my files and photos on my phone, but as of right now, I have countless photographs, videos, notes, apps, information, preferences, and all the other things which would be heartbreaking to loose.

Personally, I'm not whining, but such a large and substantial data loss as losing EVERY SINGLE THING on my phone is one of the worst things that I Have ever experienced in MY LIFE

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,602 mod

Have you tried just clearing the partition cache?

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2017 3:12PM

Somebody here can help you reflash the phone I believe if you are able to get into recovery.

@ironbaybeedoll said:
    Have you tried just clearing the partition cache?

Yes, I have tried that, but have not tried clearing dalvik cache (I don't even know how to do that). Clearing the cache did nothing to help the phone since it still failed to boot

@jasonscarter said:
    Somebody here can help you reflash the phone I believe if you are able to get into recovery.

I have gotten onto Recovery Mode, I tried everything out on the recovery menu except for wipedata / factory reset, and updating the OS. I guess I would be able to reflash the OS, but I need to be completely sure that the OS that I'm going to be flashing is official, virus-free (preferably with a SHA-256 encryption Hash of MD5# to verify validity of ROM), and so that it actually works on my phone and is able to boot up. Also, I'm pretty sure that using the option "Update from SD" reflashes the OS and returns it back to factory settings and deletes all my data.

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2017 12:01PM

@ZTEmasterRace said:

@jasonscarter said:

I have gotten onto Recovery Mode, I tried everything out on the recovery menu except for wipedata / factory reset, and updating the OS. I guess I would be able to reflash the OS, but I need to be completely sure that the OS that I'm going to be flashing is official, virus-free (preferably with a SHA-256 encryption Hash of MD5# to verify validity of ROM), and so that it actually works on my phone and is able to boot up. Also, I'm pretty sure that using the option "Update from SD" reflashes the OS and returns it back to factory settings and deletes all my data.

Download from ZTE's official site: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/b10jeejirsjgbm1/338450B3220A2017UV1.1.0B32(SD card software).zip?dl=1

Extract the "update.zip" inside and put it on the root of your sd card. Then do the update from sd option in recovery.

The OS will be reflashed and unfortunately all your data will be wiped. At the point where you are this is unavoidable.