Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Biometric Security - Face ID vs Fingerprint Scanner vs Iris Scanner

2»

Comments

• maulgandhimaulgandhi New Jersey Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2017 10:01PM
    Iris Scanner

I voted for iris scanner, because i want to see additional security measure on the phone, but I prefer fingerprint scanner. iris scanner would be a good addition. As of now most app supports fingerprint scanner and none of them supports iris scanner or face id. FPS is a must and to top it off with a cherry, have a iris scanner.

• cyberdynecyberdyne United StatesPosts: 74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

I just use the fingerprint reader so often, and uno;ock my phone when I am not looking at it- such as when I am running or biking- that I don't want the complications that comes with having to look at the phone

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

iPhone X units are showing up on review sites, and so far they are saying Face Unlock doesn't work to well in bright sunlight or under certain indoor lighting conditions. I am sure Apple will get on top of it with software updates, but that would be super annoying to deal with until it's fixed.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

@westside80 said:

@jasonscarter said:
    iPhone X units are showing up on review sites, and so far they are saying Face Unlock doesn't work to well in bright sunlight or under certain indoor lighting conditions. I am sure Apple will get on top of it with software updates, but that would be super annoying to deal with until it's fixed.

Not to mention you still have to swipe up to get to the home screen. S8 iris scanner takes you right to the home screen when you look at it.

So after face unlock you still have to swipe up for Apple? That seems a little goofy?? I wouldn't like that.

• mousemouse Posts: 85 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

Fingerprint scanner for the win!!!! As I see it, I have ten fingers to choose from, only two eyes and one face. I just think that if I am being watched, then that person would have a hard time keeping track of which finger I used. I can change this multiple times. I also don't like having to pick up the phone and place it in front of my face to unlock it. I am lazy. I also use the PIN as a backup.

• mousemouse Posts: 85 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

@westside80 Yes, of course you're correct about having to set a PIN as backup for the fingerprint scanner. Just to clarify about the other methods which require me to pick up and stare at the phone, those just creep me out a little and as I said, I am lazy. If my phone is on the desk, picking it up and unlocking it with my finger feels like one smooth seamless action to me. You obviously don't mind that stuff and that's OK with me..... :)

• 14blank4014blank40 CanadaPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

I personally voted for the fingerprint scanner as I've used it and know it's speedy and dependable. But I am certainly open to other options as well as long as they keep the fingerprint scanner around as another option if they don't like anything else

• diamonddavediamonddave Upstate NYPosts: 354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

I am a huge fan if the fingerprint scanner. I don't care where it's placed as long as I can get to it quickly and it's fast. I feel with Face Id or Iris scanning, there is too much "lining up" that is needed to get things to work. I need access to my phone quickly. Fingerprint recognition is the fastest and most appropriate for my needs.

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

I currently use my fingerprint to unlock (go axon 7!). To me the iris scanner seems like a little to much..... The fingerprint scanner works and works fast.

• jasonejasone United States Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

I prefer a fingerprint scanner over all other methods. It allows me to unlock my phone before it ever gets to my face, and I find that quicker and more enjoyable than having to point the display at my face at the right angle first. I've used the iris scanner and face ID on Samsung phones and they work ok, but I still always reach for the fingerprint scanner. Despite its awful placement I still choose to use it over the iris and face ID. It was a mistake for the iPhone to only include the face ID. However, they are Apple and normal rules don't apply to them, they will still sell a ton of them.

• beachtraxbeachtrax SoCalPosts: 24 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

I use the Axon 7 and iPhone SE. Finger print ID is just fine for my needs. Having experiences with both placements for finger print ID, front iPhone SE and back for Axon 7 I like both. My wife and I really enjoy our Axon 7's enough that no other phones out now even matter to us.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2017 12:50PM
    Fingerprint scanner

I chose fingerprint scanner, to me it's seems to be the most practical. I would love to have an iris scanner as well as a fingerprint scanner, just so I could have the option to choose. Also if one or the other quit working you would still have a rather secure option for unlocking your device. (I know that most phones have the pattern or pin unlock method also)

• Kody4593bKody4593b FSMPosts: 4 ✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

I liked the fingerprint scanner but I'd like to see a new improvement like a slightly lower position than on the axon 7. It's been months and I still occasionally touch the camera lens. Also it would be nice to see something like a heart rate monitor.

• tardisintimetardisintime Leavenworth, KSPosts: 14 ✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

Love the fingerprint scanner. I've been using it on my laptops for years, and recently on my smartphones. It's what I trust and prefer.

• cyberdynecyberdyne United StatesPosts: 74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

I have to say that after two days, unlocking with Face ID has been a big improvement and it's work well both in and outdoors. I prefer it to fingerprint. It's a little clunky double-clicking the right button to activate face recognition for ApplePay though

• gulfguygulfguy Mr. United StatesPosts: 29 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

So far I have used fingerprint with my zte blade Zmax. So far it has worked perfectly with absolutely ZERO problems lags or bugs. It has been 100% effective as others have been unsuccessful getting into my phone . I chose to not use face recognition as it is stated as being less secure than fingerprint. I would definitely be open to try the Iris scan when I get a phone with to he capabilities,..but untill ZTE gets the technology it will most likely be quite a while for me as I have always been a ZTE person.With the high number of positive reviews and feedback on the zte blade Zmax and my 100% satisfaction in the improvements ZTE has made with this phone and all the other products being issued on the market, ZTE has definitely restored my faith in their products. In my opinion though I am very happy with their fingerprint technology and for me personally is really all the security I require so I will stick to it and their future products that incorporate it.

• weibsweibs Phone Tinkerer United StatesPosts: 5 ✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

Fingerprint, rather lose a finger than lose a face!

• cf07cf07 CanadaPosts: 146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Others

I still like using pattern. My concern is privacy over s3nsitive biometric data.