Another Axon Mini Yes or No?

musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Out of all my devices, the Axon 7 Mini has been one of my favorite. If you didn’t buy the device what swayed you away from it?

Could a mini version of the Axon flagship still compete in say 2018?

Comments

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I do have an Axon 7 Mini and I love it. It has everything i need to be a Daily Driver for a phone, with the exception of battery life. If ZTE comes up with a similar type device for 2018 with a few updated specs, the only thing I would be hesitant about is the size of the battery. The Mini is my favorite ZTE device so far.

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have used the mini as part of the beta test and I have to say that after using so many large phones, it's quite refreshing to have a phone that fits into my pocket. I like that the mini has all of the goodies that you found on the axon (great display, metal body, good battery etc).

Personally, I like the idea where a phone manufacturer gives consumer choices where the main difference primarily due to the screen size with very little internal spec differences. I believe this will guarantee that no matter if you choose the largest screen or the smaller screen, you would get the same experience (minus the screen size and possibly maybe slightly drop in the resolution to 1080p). I feel that this is the best way to do a mini. Same internal hardware where the main difference would be screen size (and possibly battery due to the size of the device) but the rest of the stuff should stayed the same.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,747 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Axon 7 Mini. I had already bought the Axon 7 before I even knew there was going to be a mini.

A like phones with smaller screens for their one handed use ability and I need a phone I can put in my cycling jersey pocket when I go out riding in case of emergencies (I use a honor 8 for that now)

I would for sure be interested in another mini. The 600 series Snapdragons are getting better and better. I just hope they don't skimp out on the RAM like some OEMs do with phones this size. I still want it to be 4GB of RAM at least.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:
    I like the Axon 7 Mini. I had already bought the Axon 7 before I even knew there was going to be a mini.

A like phones with smaller screens for their one handed use ability and I need a phone I can put in my cycling jersey pocket when I go out riding in case of emergencies (I use a honor 8 for that now)

I would for sure be interested in another mini. The 600 series Snapdragons are getting better and better. I just hope they don't skimp out on the RAM like some OEMs do with phones this size. I still want it to be 4GB of RAM at least.

Im with ya there, atleast 4GB of ram and its fine to stick with the 32GB of storage and then stock android with front facing speakers and, based on the size of the current mini it could support a 5.5 or 5.7 18:9 screen and still be the same size, that would make it a killer phone and if UmiDigi can make a "bezelless" phone for under $250 then Im sure ZTE can figure it out.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,217 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Would have been nice if the Mini last year was around 4.7" for the display. It's definitely good to have the option of having a smaller size phone that's similar to the flagship one.

see for me personally 4.7 would be alittle to small, 5 inchs previously or on a 16:9 screen is a good size but with smaller bezels you can squeeze more screen into the same size as previous years smaller phones. Any smaller than the previous mini and it would be to small

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@musicdjm said:
    see for me personally 4.7 would be alittle to small, 5 inchs previously or on a 16:9 screen is a good size but with smaller bezels you can squeeze more screen into the same size as previous years smaller phones. Any smaller than the previous mini and it would be to small

I totally agree. This day and age with minimal bezels and whatnot, I would never want anything smaller than 5".
    Personally I like bigger than that even, but it's already known that most prefer 5.5".
    Part of the whole purpose of the mini though, is to be a smaller phone which some people do prefer.
    I really think 5" is the sweet spot for that purpose.

And NFC. Don't be like the G Series from Moto!

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't get it because I had just got the 7 which I really liked and couldn't justify another phone. I did like a lot of things about the mini but agree about needing it to be at least 5". I think it would be a good idea for ZTE to continue the practice of having a smaller version of the flagship phone in 2018 as long as they don't water down the specs too far or at all like some companies do.

My dream mini would be the following:
    5.5" 18:9 1080P display
    on screen keys, no capacitive
    Keep the Stereo front facing speakers
    No headset jack (save cost)
    USB C QC 3.0
    Rubberized back like the Blade Z Max (save cost)
    Dual rear camera, 12MP wide angle and 12MP
    Rear fingerprint sensor
    MiFavor 5.0 with themes, ESPECIALLY a dark theme
    camera2.api
    widevine cert
    6XX CPU, No 4XX, or even the now old 820 or 821?
    4GB RAM
    64GB Storage
    3500mAh battery (minimum, but would prefer 4000 and up)

If you could swing that for $250, i'd buy for sure. For $300, I'd add IP68 water and dust resistance.

On the 600 series, I have seen a few phones announced with the new 630s, but anything out there with the 660s yet? I think they were supposed to be comparable in performance to the 820/821.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Axon Mini but what swayed me away from it is was the snapdragon 617 processor.

If the device came with a snapdragron 630 or 650 then that would of been a lot better...... better yet.... why not have the mini contain the same processor as the Axon 7?

@coldheat06 said:
    I like the Axon Mini but what swayed me away from it is was the snapdragon 617 processor.

If the device came with a snapdragron 630 or 650 then that would of been a lot better...... better yet.... why not have the mini contain the same processor as the Axon 7?

Cost. 617 is the same processor as the zmax pro. Which I know you are a fan of ;)

@jasonscarter said:

I think the 3GB in the current Mini was the correct amount at the time, but if a new one is to be made, 4GB would be the right amount.

@hollap said:

@jasonscarter said:

I think the 3GB in the current Mini was the correct amount at the time, but if a new one is to be made, 4GB would be the right amount.

I with you there, this year there is plenty of other OEMS with mid range devices with "bezelless" phones and 4GB ram for under $300 so its definitely possible

You know come to think of it, instead of making another Mini, it would be great to see ZTE team up with Google to create an Android One device. Specs would be very similar to the Mini I would assume. You could kill two birds with one stone so to speak. What do you guys think?

@hollap said:
    You know come to think of it, instead of making another Mini, it would be great to see ZTE team up with Google to create an Android One device. Specs would be very similar to the Mini I would assume. You could kill two birds with one stone so to speak. What do you guys think?

I LOVE that idea as long as it maintained the front facing speakers lol. Bringing ZTE AXON One with an epic audio experience to the masses

• mousemouse Posts: 85 ✭✭✭✭✭

I decided against the Axon Mini primarily because it did not have a dual Wifi antenna (only 2.4 ghz, also no ac) @hollap I need a headphone jack for my phones so if it didn't come with one I would buy the a S8. I like the other specs mentioned though and would expect a price bump. The Mini has its place and the screen size is perfect IMO.

@mouse said:
    I decided against the Axon Mini primarily because it did not have a dual Wifi antenna (only 2.4 ghz, also no ac) @hollap I need a headphone jack for my phones so if it didn't come with one I would buy the a S8. I like the other specs mentioned though and would expect a price bump. The Mini has its place and the screen size is perfect IMO.

Good to know your opinion @mouse! And you certainly aren't the only one who wants to keep the headphone jack!

@mouse said:

So what would be the price range you would expect to pay? So do you see the Mini at a price range right below the Axon 7 ?

@musicdjm said:

@mouse said:

So what would be the price range you would expect to pay? So do you see the Mini at a price range right below the Axon 7 ?

If the next Axon flagship is going to be priced $400-$500 I would like to see the mini priced no higher than $300-$350. At least that's my thought. I know some would prefer the mini to have the same specs as the Axon but only smaller size.

@hollap said:

@musicdjm said:

@mouse said:

If the next Axon flagship is going to be priced $400-$500 I would like to see the mini priced no higher than $300-$350. At least that's my thought. I know some would prefer the mini to have the same specs as the Axon but only smaller size.

I think thats the sweet spot for good hardware at a value price point.

SD 653 processor
    3-4GB ram
    32 GB storage with sd card slot
    1080P small bezel display
    3100 mah battery
    Dual front facing speakers
    With a top notch camera and front facing flash

• mousemouse Posts: 85 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017 7:47PM

@musicdjm the Mini has to be priced competitively to be successful. The design of the Axon (8???) line is going to be what defines this brand IMO. The recently launched Nubia z17 has me salivating in anticipation. Huge bezels are fast becoming undesirable so I hope ZTE goes in a similar direction of the z17. That being said, I agree with @hollap on pricing with $400 being my absolute limit depending on the hardware specs.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017 10:24PM

@musicdjm said:
    I think thats the sweet spot for good hardware at a value price point.

SD 653 processor
    3-4GB ram
    32 GB storage with sd card slot
    1080P small bezel display
    3100 mah battery
    Dual front facing speakers
    With a top notch camera and front facing flash

I agree except for maybe the processor. I know they need to reduce some features in order to price the phone lower, and the rest of that list is acceptable to me, but I feel that matching the processor should be a feature.
    It is expected to be a mini version of the flagship, but not necessarily a less capable one.

If it's going to be so different from the flagship, then just go ahead with @hollap 's idea of producing an Android One device instead. I agree with others' that it's a pretty darn good idea.

@westside80 said:

@musicdjm said:
    Out of all my devices, the Axon 7 Mini has been one of my favorite. If you didn’t buy the device what swayed you away from it?

Could a mini version of the Axon flagship still compete in say 2018?

What swayed me away was the processor, smaller display, no OIS, single band WiFi and smaller battery. The Mini should have had nearly identical specs. Then I might have jumped on it. The display and battery are mainly what turned me off though.

But what makes the mini so tempting is the price at $199. What would you have paid to get the features you are asking for @westside80?