Welcome to our Beta Lab page. We are currently recruiting for a software preview program for the Blade Z Max HERE

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Here's to well run betas

louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 965 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've participated a few ZTE betas and am now participating in the Samsung Galaxy S8 Oreo beta, and I have to say, the ZTE betas were so much better run, no competition. Now I get that the Samsung beta has 10,000 participants but everything from the quality of the first beta release (SO many bugs), to the fact that there's basically no staff participation, to the fact that people are randomly losing access to the beta bug reporting and forums (with no one to help resolve the issue), the Samsung beta is just a cluster.

Good work ZTE.

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD USA Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

ZTE has a pretty good beta program for sure. Organization is one of the keys to success.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter Tallahassee FLPosts: 757 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Mad props to ZTE!

• johnny3dd67johnny3dd67 Illinois, USA Chicago areaPosts: 48 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will agree with all of those statements, ZTE is very good at paying attention to what consumers want and what works, or doesn't. They definitely have one of the best beta Labs I've ever been a part of..

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, Texas Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

ZTE is a top notch group and there employees that interact with the customers are really the best!!!

• freezafreeza Pasadena, CAPosts: 170 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2017 2:37PM

The fact that we haven't gotten an update since July doesn't say "GOOD JOB ZTE" at all. What are you people smoking that you cut them so much slack? I am starting to believe I'm in some sort of cult

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD USA Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@freeza said:
    The fact that we haven't gotten an update since July doesn't say "GOOD JOB ZTE" at all. What are you people smoking that you cut them so much slack? I am starting to believe I'm in some sort of cult

Your comments really aren't on topic for the purpose of this thread.
    This thread is for giving praise about how well they run their beta sessions.

Aside from that, yes we have all been waiting mostly as patient as possible for an update.
    I'm sure ZTE is working on it. I can't imagine they are just sitting there saying that their flagship
    model phone isn't worth updating to screw over their customers.
    I would surmise they may be working on a larger update, but we will just have to wait and see.
    In reality, the device works just great for me on a daily basis, and while I am also waiting and hoping for an update,
    I know that it will come eventually. Hopefully sooner than later.

edited November 13, 2017 5:46PM

In case you weren't aware. It's a common know fact that the carrier is the one who calls for an update to certain manufacturers. Beta not included, They are almost always issued to the largest selling company, based on the latest and greatest release receive top priority. Samsung are usually one of a few, and of course Google Pixel that get them on the reg. Pixel being they are Google exclusive device, and the maker of Android OS is the only one I'm aware of that gets regular schedule updates based on security changes. ZTE is not responsible for the updates after they have been shipped, and sold by whatever carrier you may be with. As far as Beta, that's exactly what it is "A beta build" not to say that if you're a part of a beta lab you won't ever see another, it's pretty much up to your carrier to send updates to your current device based on supply and demand. With newer models every year most of which are top priority, (again based on top sales) fact is older devices will see less priority from the carriers unless you are still apart of an active beta test. That's pretty much it in a nut shell, really no reason to come down on ZTE for your frustration or lack of knowledge, I'm not being rude just trying to help anyone who questions, or (no pun intended) feels like they are a part of a cult. We are all apart of the same team, and if not happy are always free to move on. For the record I am not a paid employee of ZTE just a satisfied customer who has done his homework and wants to help whenever I can. You're welcome, Have a great day

@freeza said:
    The fact that we haven't gotten a BETA since July doesn't say "GOOD JOB ZTE" at all. What are you people smoking that you cut them so much slack? I am starting to believe I'm in some sort of cult

@johnny3dd67 said:
    In case you weren't aware. It's a common know fact that the carrier is the one who calls for an update to certain manufacturers. Beta not included, They are almost always issued to the largest selling company, based on the latest and greatest release receive top priority. Samsung are usually one of a few, and of course Google Pixel that get them on the reg. Pixel being they are Google exclusive device, and the maker of Android OS is the only one I'm aware of that gets regular schedule updates based on security changes. ZTE is not responsible for the updates after they have been shipped, and sold by whatever carrier you may be with. As far as Beta, that's exactly what it is "A beta build" not to say that if you're a part of a beta lab you won't ever see another, it's pretty much up to your carrier to send updates to your current device based on supply and demand. With newer models every year most of which are top priority, (again based on top sales) fact is older devices will see less priority from the carriers unless you are still apart of an active beta test. That's pretty much it in a nut shell, really no reason to come down on ZTE for your frustration or lack of knowledge, I'm not being rude just trying to help anyone who questions, or (no pun intended) feels like they are a part of a cult. We are all apart of the same team, and if not happy are always free to move on. For the record I am not a paid employee of ZTE just a satisfied customer who has done his homework and wants to help whenever I can. You're welcome, Have a great day

Ummm.. the Axon 7 is sold unlocked. Absolutely nothing to do with carriers.

• louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 965 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2017 6:20PM

@freeza said:

Nowhere did I say anything about the quantity or timeliness of updates. This post was merely about how the betas are run. That's all, nothing more.

@freeza said:

@freeza said:
    The fact that we haven't gotten a BETA since July doesn't say "GOOD JOB ZTE" at all. What are you people smoking that you cut them so much slack? I am starting to believe I'm in some sort of cult

@johnny3dd67 said:

Ummm.. the Axon 7 is sold unlocked. Absolutely nothing to do with carriers.

My bad, I didn't realize that's what you were talking about, didn't mention name of it in the post. Other than unlocked it's still the same story with carrier models. I do have an unlocked LG V20 and a year later still get updates, have unlocked ZTE devices as well and those have also received updates, don't know what's up with the Axon 7. You might consider contacting ZTE directly, not just the Z Community, from what I understand they don't run the updates to devices other than beta testing.

@louisd said:

@freeza said:

Nowhere did I say anything about the quantity or timeliness of updates. This post was merely about how the betas are run. That's all, nothing more.

Gotcha but... Even in beta... Updates...ya know?

• louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 965 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@freeza said:

@louisd said:

@freeza said:

Gotcha but... Even in beta... Updates...ya know?

I get it. But each day I'm in the Samsung Oreo beta I'm reminded about how different the ZTE betas were. Two days ago the 2nd beta came out for the S8. For the T-Mobile version of the phone this beta disabled cellular capabilities. That's right, the phone would come up, be on cellular for 10 minutes then the cellular radio would crash and no more cellular until a reboot, where the cycle began again. None of the ZTE betas had those kind of bugs.

There are also a large number of users who can't access the beta forums, can't provide bug reports, can't get the beta notices regarding work arounds or known issue. Those users (including me) have likely spent hundreds of hours collectively trying to bring this to Samsung's attention. Two weeks after the beta has started, there still is no one to listen, no one to respond and no solution. Again, I can't imagine something like that happening for two weeks without some response from ZTE.

Anyway, that's all. I want my updates too, but that's a gripe for a different thread.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 5,259 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2017 8:52AM

The beta I participated in for ZTE was pretty great with really good conversation and support. Support from the people who run the beta is very important or people end up feeling lost. ZTE was very active in the beta and responded to questions very quickly.

• diamonddavediamonddave Upstate NYPosts: 333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the comments here I will take with a grain of salt. Some people just like to be wieners. I've been in a few betas for the Z and the moderators have been top notch. I really hope to be able to participate in additional betas. Especially in ANY secret or Public Beats for Axon 8. Hint, hint @sshasan