Adoptable Storage Issue?

I have a ZTE Max XL and I absolutely love it, save for one problem that's been coming up recently. I have an SD card formatted to serves as expanded/extra 'internal' storage/whatever you call it, and it's a mostly empty card (only 1.7 gigs out of 16 used), but lately, my phone has been throwing up insufficient storage space errors when I try to update apps, and so I have to uninstall some apps to update others, which is utterly ridiculous. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an easy solution? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,614 mod

@tardisman2017 Good evening. After Android 4.0 the ability to move apps to SD card is no longer an option. Apps can only reside, and run from internal ROM. You will experience insufficient space errors when the internal ROM is full. The only option is to move music, pics, docs and videos to the SD card then remove any unneeded, unused apps. Should you have further questions please give me a shout.

• @ironbaybeedoll said:
    @tardisman2017 Good evening. After Android 4.0 the ability to move apps to SD card is no longer an option. Apps can only reside, and run from internal ROM. You will experience insufficient space errors when the internal ROM is full. The only option is to move music, pics, docs and videos to the SD card then remove any unneeded, unused apps. Should you have further questions please give me a shout.

I am aware of that, but starting with 6.0, Google introduced the option for devices to treat SD cards as extra internal memory, essentially, I'm assuming primarily for OEMs who make phones with smaller amounts of internal storage as the Android OS takes up more and more space these days (shipping any phone with just 16 gigabytes of internal storage shouldn't even be an option these days, in my opinion. It's nowhere near enough space.)

• @jimlloyd40 said:

@tardisman2017 said:
    I have a ZTE Max XL and I absolutely love it, save for one problem that's been coming up recently. I have an SD card formatted to serves as expanded/extra 'internal' storage/whatever you call it, and it's a mostly empty card (only 1.7 gigs out of 16 used), but lately, my phone has been throwing up insufficient storage space errors when I try to update apps, and so I have to uninstall some apps to update others, which is utterly ridiculous. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an easy solution? Thanks in advance!

@tardisman2017 if you're correct and that phone allows an SD card to be used as internal storage then you shouldn't be having this problem. Are you absolutely certain that the phone offered that option. While I wait for your response I will tell you that it's a bad idea to use an SD card as internal storage for a variety of reasons. Suffice to say I would do what @ironbaybeedoll said and only use an SD card for pictures and music etc but not for apps. And only about half of the app is moved to the SD card anyway.

Here is what my storage settings currently look like: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XVT9cHyUV9CWaFXu2 . I also have the option to reformat the SD card as a standard, portable card: https://photos.app.goo.gl/a4S9iie8DXSSOFR33 . The phone clearly sees the card as 'internal' storage, but it apparently isn't really utilizing it.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,614 mod

@tardisman2017 Adoptable storage helps in that it will allow the Apps Data to be stored on the SD card, but the App still needs to reside and run from the true internal Rom. Once internal Rom/storage is full you won't be able to install more Apps, and will receive insufficient space errors until it is freed up.

• rcole13002rcole13002 USAPosts: 6 ✭✭✭

@tardisman2017 I had the same issue with my Max XL that I purchased a few days ago. I was using the SD card from my previous phone and it would not format in the Max XL nor could I format it from my laptop to work on the phone. I was using a SanDisk Ultra PLUS 32GB card. I ended up having to go to Walmart and I purchased a brand new SanDisk HD Video 32GB card and BAMM, it worked! I now have the use of internal storage and some of the apps I install even automatically install on the SD card. Hope this helps. Let us know what happens.

• RogerDRogerD Phoenix, AZPosts: 1 ✭✭

I had my SD64 (speed class 10) formatted as internal storage and it caused hitching with a couple of games I play. Even after migrating to internal it was still a problem, though better. After reformatting to use as portable storage and reinstalling the games to the internal - no problems. Maybe the newer UHS or Video Speed class SD's can do better, but I would not recommend using an SD card as internal storage. The camera will automatically save your pictures and videos to the portable storage instead of internal.