Does the SPRO2 still run Android 4.4?

vagavaga USAPosts: 347 ✭✭✭

I read on both the ZTE website and on Best Buy that the SPRO2 runs 4.4. Has it been updated to lollipop at least? A lot of services don't work as well on older versions of Android (lower resolutions, etc).

Answers

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Based on searching among varies models (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Wi-Fi), all of them seems to be stating Android 4.4 Kit Kat still. T-Mobile was the newest addition to carry the Spro 2, but still running Android 4.4. The newest update from AT&T was back in October but was an Android 4.4 update. 

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,598 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it does.

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,021 admin

, is correct. I personally have the AT&T variant. I haven't run into any issues with the apps that I use on 4.4 but if you need some tested out to see if they run correctly send me a list of a few.

• vagavaga USAPosts: 347 ✭✭✭

Does Netflix run in HD on the SPRO2? IIRC, Netflix only supported HD (720p and 1080p) for lollipop and higher. And they also have some weird policy for approving devices.

Does the SPRO2 support h265

With Netflix there is no HD support on the SPro 2... I know I wish it did have it as well. As for H265 support, I'll have to get an official answer for you.

To answer an earlier question, right now R&D doesn't have plans on an update for lollipop or higher. We will keep on top of them though with this discussion. Now on to the H265 support, the SPro 2, unfortunately, does not support it.

I guess there is an HDMI port for a reason then

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,616 mod

Even without the HD support from Netflix, the device seems pretty amazing from everything I have read.

It seems like a great small projector no doubt. One could definitely plug in a console and play games in this with friends in a small apartment.

• I've got kit Kat ok mine and wishing the R&D would reconsider their decision not to upgrade. I would love an upgrade to this because as newer apps come out in the Google play store they may be less likely to work on this projector. I'd say it's a handsome price I payed for it and would have expected it to at least get upgraded a couple of times to remain competitive, on to of keeping customers like me happy. Here's to seeing Android "N"on the SPro 2, woot! You can do it guys!

I agree updates would be amazing!  I love the SPro2, however, like you, I do worry when newer apps are being adapted for new versions of android, they will not be available for us on the Spro2. I will say though, I have not seen a definite no in regards to updates, only that there currently are no plans. So to me that says there is still hope. ZTE started Z-Community because they want to know what us, as consumers want, and need from mobile products. Although some days you wouldn't know it, this site isn't just for the Axon 7, and we can discuss our wants, needs and issues with the Spro2 as much as we like. They truly are listening

• rangerlgrangerlg Cypress, TXPosts: 89

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I don't feel an update is necessary unless apps stop working with earlier versions. 

​ Better late than never...

• I just tried the AMC app and I couldn't get it past the splash screen. The ABC app wouldn't show any popup page after selecting a TV provider. These could be warning signs that these app developers are moving forward without support or proper testing for KitKat devices anymore.

Also, just bought iSyncR and because of the KitKat restriction, it won't write outside of the app's work folder, so I can't tell it to sync my music to a specific folder on my MicroSD card.

Their workaround requires rooting the device, but it's not an option for us Spro 2 users.

• we need an upgrade apks (kodi 17) are demanding lollipop  or higher  more and more apk developers aim for never android

• wahapainanwahapainan Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

I'm already running into apps that won't upgrade because of the outdated operating system. After two months of ownership I feel I just bought an overpriced HDMI projector for my NVIDIA shield.

• somehumesomehume Posts: 1 ✭✭✭✭

I should have researched this more before purchasing. This'll be my last ZTE device.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@somehume said:
    I should have researched this more before purchasing. This'll be my last ZTE device.

The device came out in the spring of 2015, and only has a Snapdragon 800 chip. It's not going to run an up to date version of Android. I have one and it works fine projecting videos...not really designed for much of anything else. Netflix has new features now that weren't around in 2015...no fault of ZTE. Qualcom isn't really providing driver and update support for snapdragon 800s anyway. So even if ZTE wanted to, Qualcom has to get on board as well.

• wings4anniewings4annie United StatesPosts: 1,384 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I love my spro2. I use it twice a week for my business.
    It is a great projector, I cast to spro2.

• JmeP1979JmeP1979 Wa statePosts: 1 ✭✭

I am a huge fan of Hulu!!!! And since Hulu did an overhaul and became the Hulu experience with live TV, all of a sudden I can't stream Hulu any longer on my Spro 2 because the Hulu app requires an android version of 5.0(lollipop) or higher. We have paid $500 for thus device just over a year ago and it's a very expensive paper weight now. Please please please release an android OS that will at least allow Hulu to perform. Kit Kat 4.4 and Qualcomm 800 arent even supported by Google playstore any longer which renders it useless for anything. Please ZTE push for software updates for your android OS as well as push Qualcomm to release one for their 800 series!!!! Please please please!!!! 😢

@JmeP1979 I know it doesn't fix your Hulu issue, but Netflix still works beautifully on Spro2. While we all would love to see this device updated, it is far from being a paperweight. I have yet to have to come across any issues, aside from Spectrum giving an error about casting during live TV. They have since fixed their app, and it now works correctly. I know it is disappointing to see one of your favorite apps no longer supported, but there is also another possible work around. You may be able to cast Hulu from your phone or laptop to Spro2. it may be a little bit inconvenient, but if it allows it, you would still get Hulu on the big screen :)

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2017 7:25AM

@JmeP1979 I know how your feeling, slowly but surely apps wont run on the Spro2. Even my limited use of running emulators on the Spro2 has been compromised. What I recommend is to use the previous or old apks of the app from apkmirror. This has worked in getting my emulators running again, tbh I am not sure if this workaround applies to apps that are subscription services like Hulu and Netflix. If it does you wont be getting the new layout but you will have Hulu running natively. How about playing Hulu through the Chrome browser on the Spro 2?

• MicoMico MiamiPosts: 7 ✭✭
    edited January 19, 2018 9:36PM

Jan 20 2018 - is it worth buying a Spro 2 (Kitkat issues and compatibility) ? ? ?
    Or should I find a projector with at least Android 6.0 if not 7.0 ???

I also read quite a few stories from customers on amazon.com that.......Spro 2 is unreliable and breaks after a short while (overheating, built in screen going weird, batteries going dead etc) - is that true?

How do I cast a screen from my MacBookPro to it? Does it have Airplay?
    (my other device is smartphone Axon 7 so I guess its screen casting should be smooth and easy right?)

thanks

• keithisreal2013keithisreal2013 Austin, TexasPosts: 182 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mico said:
    Jan 20 2018 - is it worth buying a Spro 2 (Kitkat issues and compatibility) ? ? ?
    Or should I find a projector with at least Android 6.0 if not 7.0 ???

I also read quite a few stories from customers on amazon.com that.......Spro 2 is unreliable and breaks after a short while (overheating, built in screen going weird, batteries going dead etc) - is that true?

How do I cast a screen from my MacBookPro to it? Does it have Airplay?
    (my other device is smartphone Axon 7 so I guess its screen casting should be smooth and easy right?)

thanks

I've has no issues with my S Pro2. I have Hulu and Netflix running on it (Older versions) and I use it for my gaming consoles sometimes as well.