Freezes Up Daily

Mimi5573Mimi5573 SterlingPosts: 1 ✭✭✭✭

When I first got this phone I was in love. Within 2 weeks I started having the problem of the phone freezing up. I would have to restart the phone. I suppose it's not a big deal for the most part. But I just had spinal surgery and must rely on my phone in case something happens and I need medical personnel. Please tell me what can be done to stop this problem.

Also, phone now tells me it isn't detecting the SD card. There's A brand new 64GB card that's been formatted. I was sure hopping for more from this phone.

By the way, my soon got the same phone and is having the same problems. Plus his phone is ALWAYS dropping calls even when he's in the same room I can make calls from with no problems.

Two unhappy Blade X Max owners

Comments

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mimi5573 said:
    When I first got this phone I was in love. Within 2 weeks I started having the problem of the phone freezing up. I would have to restart the phone. I suppose it's not a big deal for the most part. But I just had spinal surgery and must rely on my phone in case something happens and I need medical personnel. Please tell me what can be done to stop this problem.

Also, phone now tells me it isn't detecting the SD card. There's A brand new 64GB card that's been formatted. I was sure hopping for more from this phone.

By the way, my soon got the same phone and is having the same problems. Plus his phone is ALWAYS dropping calls even when he's in the same room I can make calls from with no problems.

Two unhappy Blade X Max owners

Clear the cache in the internal storage and close recent apps. You could also wipe the cache partition in recovery and then reboot. How often do you simply reboot the phone?

• colonl1colonl1 Fort Worth TexasPosts: 11 ✭✭✭✭

I rely on my phone for everything and it is a vital tool for my work. I travel a lot and the GPS is my best friend. I am having the same problem describe above and more. My Phone freezes my GPS, calls go straight to voicemail and won't allow me to make phone calls, do not download pictures on text messages, drop calls constantly and pause videos or stop playing Pandora for no reason. That among other things. I love this phone but I am very disappointed at it's performance. Please help

• sshasansshasan Z-Community Moderator New York Posts: 3,206 admin

@colonl1 have you tried the suggestions about from @jimlloyd40 ?

Can you tell me how?

I have to reboot this phone at least five times a day, sometimes more. I am not a phone tech and don't know-how to clear the cache partition and yes , I do close all apps opened , when the phone allows me to though. But it freezes and I just have to pull over in the middle of the express way and reboot

@colonl1

Steps to wipe cache partition:

This process may take anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes.

-Begin with the device turned off
    -Power the device on while holding the Volume Down and Power Button
    -Once the ZTE logo appears on the screen, release ONLY the power button
    -Use the Volume Up/Down Keys to navigate the Android System Recovery Menu
    -Cycle until Wipe Cache Partition is highlighted
    -Press the Power Button to execute the action
    -After the action is executed and the recovery menu is reset, cycle until Reboot System Now is highlighted
    -Press the Power Button to reboot the phone normally and exit the Android System Recovery Menu

I just performed the action described above. Reboot took less than a second so I am not sure it really happened. Will keep monitoring the phone performance and I'll update in a week.

Thank you

@sshasan said:
    @colonl1

Steps to wipe cache partition:

This process may take anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes.

-Begin with the device turned off
    -Power the device on while holding the Volume Down and Power Button
    -Once the ZTE logo appears on the screen, release ONLY the power button
    -Use the Volume Up/Down Keys to navigate the Android System Recovery Menu
    -Cycle until Wipe Cache Partition is highlighted
    -Press the Power Button to execute the action
    -After the action is executed and the recovery menu is reset, cycle until Reboot System Now is highlighted
    -Press the Power Button to reboot the phone normally and exit the Android System Recovery Menu

@sshasan is it the "volume down" and power button on this phone?

@colonl1 said:
    I just performed the action described above. Reboot took less than a second so I am not sure it really happened. Will keep monitoring the phone performance and I'll update in a week.

Thank you

@colonl1 you should also clear the cache in the main storage settings. Just go to the settings and and select "storage" and then internal storage and wait until it calculates the cache. Then tap on cache and then follow the prompt. The cache partition that you wiped only needs to be done after a system update, not regularly. The internal storage cache I would do if experiencing the problems that you mentioned. Anytime you have a problem also close all recent apps to free up RAM.

Well I have an update. I performed all the recommended steps above to wipe the cache partition and to clear the cache on the main storage and my phone continues to slowdown until it freezes up and it must be restored. Just to get to this screen, I had to reset the phone three times. Why would I have to do all this in a brand new phone. I just bought it 8 days ago

@colonl1 said:
    Well I have an update. I performed all the recommended steps above to wipe the cache partition and to clear the cache on the main storage and my phone continues to slowdown until it freezes up and it must be restored. Just to get to this screen, I had to reset the phone three times. Why would I have to do all this in a brand new phone. I just bought it 8 days ago

@colonl1 remove the SD card that you said that you installed and reboot. If that doesn't fix it then return it to wherever you bought it.

I don't have an SD card and cricket won't take it back after 7 days. Highly dissatisfied and disappointed. I really wanted this phone 😟

@colonl1 said:
    I don't have an SD card and cricket won't take it back after 7 days. Highly dissatisfied and disappointed. I really wanted this phone 😟

Sorry about the SD card. It was someone else who mentioned that. Anyway with your phone have you done a factory reset? If not, do so and set up as a new device. If it's functioning properly then one at a time add your apps making sure the problem doesn't start again. How did you pay for your phone @colonl1? If the phone still freezes and if you paid with a credit card I would dispute the charge with your credit card company. All phones come with a 1 year warranty so Cricket will have to honor the warranty or ZTE will. If you did use a credit card I'm extremely confident that the credit card company will side with you based on the warranty.

• wings4anniewings4annie Orange,caPosts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@colonl1 I don't have your phone but I do have a Blade Zmax. It was freezing up also.
    I did a factory reset, and it solved my problem.
    @jimlloyd40 suggested it. It is worth a try.
    Let us know

@colonl1 While the Cricket store will not return the device after 7 days you still have the option to exercise the manufacturer warranty directly through Crciket. Call the customer service line and start the process with them directly.

Hello all and thank-you for all your suggestions. I took the phone to cricket and got it exchanged via one month warranty. Got a new phone and reinstalled my basic apps. The phone worked OK for a few days but yesterday it started to shut down again. Drop calls, loose YouTube video signal (video screen goes black) but continues to audio. Cannot attach pictures to emails or take pictures to attach to emails, do not regularly send group text messages and out of the blue completely loose signal. And something new it did about 15 minutes ago, it will shut down my text message app if I try to search for a text message.
    There is a serious glitch on these phones

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, Texas Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@colonl1 said:
    Hello all and thank-you for all your suggestions. I took the phone to cricket and got it exchanged via one month warranty. Got a new phone and reinstalled my basic apps. The phone worked OK for a few days but yesterday it started to shut down again. Drop calls, loose YouTube video signal (video screen goes black) but continues to audio. Cannot attach pictures to emails or take pictures to attach to emails, do not regularly send group text messages and out of the blue completely loose signal. And something new it did about 15 minutes ago, it will shut down my text message app if I try to search for a text message.

Do you mind sharing the list of apps that you have installed? It almost sounds like one of your apps have gone rouge!

Also are you downloading all of your apps from the Google app store or side loading them?

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@colonl1 said:

After what you've been through I would just get a different phone.

My basic apps are Outlook, Word and Excel, facebook, whatsapp, Linkin, boa, etc. All downloaded from the app store. There is one new problem, my Bluetooth wont connect automatically and when I can connect, it intermittently dropped and connect again. Does it to a point the phone got really hot, and you could not grab it even with the case on. It froze and I could not turn it off. I thought it was going to ignite so I pulled over on the side of the road and got it off the car. Set it on the floor and waited about 10 minutes until it restarted on its own. I am not using it and will like to know how can I get a refund from ZTE, or maybe a different phone. I drive a lot and need a reliable phone.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter Tallahassee FLPosts: 969 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@colonl1 said:
    My basic apps are Outlook, Word and Excel, facebook, whatsapp, Linkin, boa, etc. All downloaded from the app store. There is one new problem, my Bluetooth wont connect automatically and when I can connect, it intermittently dropped and connect again. Does it to a point the phone got really hot, and you could not grab it even with the case on. It froze and I could not turn it off. I thought it was going to ignite so I pulled over on the side of the road and got it off the car. Set it on the floor and waited about 10 minutes until it restarted on its own. I am not using it and will like to know how can I get a refund from ZTE, or maybe a different phone. I drive a lot and need a reliable phone.

If you are past your return window, you can't get a refund. And even if you could, it wouldn't come from ZTE. It would come from Cricket, who sold the device. If truly want another phone, check with Cricket and see if they can provide you with any options. Or just buy an unlocked GSM device and move your Cricket SIM over.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@colonl1 said:

You probably can't get a refund but you might could get a replacement.

I would highly suggest you look at unlocked GSM devices. So many options out there. You DO NOT have to buy your phone from Cricket if you don't want to. If you had to get a new phone..what would your budget be? I think a lot of us can suggest a device for you.

@JasonsCarter and @Westside80 thank-you. I can definitely use any suggestions you can all provide. I know nothing about a GSM devise though

@colonl1 said:
    @JasonsCarter and @Westside80 thank-you. I can definitely use any suggestions you can all provide. I know nothing about a GSM devise though

GSM is the type of cell phone radio your device uses to communicate with your carrier in summary. There is another technology that does the same thing called CDMA, that Verizon and Sprint use.

Any unlocked GSM compatible device should work on Cricket. For example, I use the ZTE Axon 7, which is a unlocked GSM device.

So what is your budget, and we can recommend some things for you.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Or we could actually try and fix his issue. > @colonl1 said:

@colonl1, it sounds like maybe a single app may be affecting this. If you're willing to try, you could do a factory reset, then install apps 1 by 1 until you see the issue start happening again.

Without knowing what apps are currently running we won't be able to narrow it down.

edited December 15, 2017 4:35PM

Moderator:

Some posts have been removed from this thread.

While it is ok to mention that there are other unlocked GSM options as an alternative, please do not sway a user to other OEMs.

Dedicated ZTE threads are meant for troubleshooting, expressing thought and discussion on a particular ZTE device(s).