The good, the bad: what is your thoughts on the quartz

samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, Quartz owners, I am curious on your thoughts on Quartz.

We all know that Qurtz offers a great battery life with cellular connectivity. And as you know, ZTE always tries to listen to the customers’ feedback and making improvements. Our feedbacks to them are critical shaping the future device. So, lets gather our thoughts here about what is good and what would need to be improved on the next version.

To start off, here are my thoughts on the Quartz:

Goods:
-Battery life (for a watch with cellular connectivity, the battery life on the unit is surprisingly good).
-Display—bright and vibrant.
-Cellular connectivity (while I don’t think this is the most critical thing to have, it does comes handy at times if I forgot my phone).
-Build quality. I feel that the simple design of the quartz is quite nice and easily pair with other bands.
-Easily replaceable watch bands
-Speaker, for a small device, Quartz’s speaker surprisingly loud and clear
-Performance
-Price

Needs Improvements:
-Ambient light sensor so it can automatically adjust brightness.
-Longer battery life (can never have enough of this)
-Maybe a model without cellular connectivity for those who just need one tethered to their phone.
-A couple design variation for others who wish smaller size or a bit slimmer unit. I also would love to be a bit rounded design and also maybe slimmer profile as well.
-USB-C connector and possibly even wireless charging.
-Replace the home button for more elegant design, possibly a rotating crown so it adds functionality and class
-Better watch bands
-IP 68
-NFC

Let us know your thoughts.

Comments

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe having a leather band instead of rubber band is a must. I really like Moto 360 leather band, so i believe ZTE should go bold next time and include leather band. Plus partner up with the wrist band company such as clock work synergy and come up with bands that goes with Quartz 2nd gen. The battery is definitely important, I would like to see at least 3 day battery life and if there was a version of Quartz with cellular connectivity, I have no doubt that ZTE would be able to get 3 days out of that watch. I think ZTE should design a watch for sports and gym enthusiast, include all the bells and whistles to make our life easier. For instance, heart rate monitor, gps tracker, etc. you get the gist. I have had original Moto 360 and definitely enjoyed their wireless charging, and with the Quartz, the base charging was not difficult to use, but had few quirks such as it had to be placed correctly to charge the watch. So definitely wireless charging base.

To sum up: a better watch band , slick design, and wireless charging!

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Here are some of my thoughts:

These are the things that I would like to see the new Quartz to have:

• Thinner
    • Adaptive Display that will get brighter in daylight and darker at night.
    • Bigger display.
    • IP 68
    • NFC
    • USB-C charger to match the Axon Phones..... that way we don't have to carry around two different charging cables
    • Metal watch bands

I love everything else about he Quartz Watch.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,257 mod

I've only played with the Quartz at my local T-mobile store but would like to see it slimmed down with a heart rate sensor. Above and beyond that as a non user it seems to be as solid device. I do agree with some of the previous suggestions of uing usb c or wireless charging if possible and a nicer metal or leather band included as well. Maybe two,different versions, one with a rubber strap and heart rate sensor geared towards work out enthusiasts and another version, no blue markings on the face, leather or metal band.

• legalalienlegalalien The WorldPosts: 2 ✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 10:30AM

Trying out Quartz after using Gear S2 Classic (with cellular connectivity) for a while. Quartz is a definitely a low-cost watch: S2 is thinner, has a rotating bezel, heart rate and ambient light sensors, and just feels more premium. Battery life is about the same for both. Quartz benefits from Android Wear ecosystem, so it definitely has a better future than S2; lack of apps for S2 is the reason I am looking for a replacement. So, here's my quick list of pros and cons:

Pros

• Android Wear 2.0 at a much lower price than the competition
    • Decent battery life
    • Bright screen; no flat tire look

Cons

• No ambient light sensor! Having to adjust brightness manually when venturing outdoors is a bigger hassle than I imagined
    • Bundled strap is just plain uncomfortable
    • Hard to find additional charging cradles
    • No rotating bezel
  • samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great feedback guys. Looks like so far we all agree a few variation/selection would be nice to offer people choices between larger screen or smaller and more compact unit. And more band option or better band is needed as well.

Keep them coming as the more input we can provide will help to shape the next gen products.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's a fine line of trying to introduce more sporty features like heart rate sensors and IP68, and trying to appeal to people who don't like the sporty look. One of the reasons Huawei made a few different variants of the watch 2, which I have. I like the NFC and heart rate sensor. I don't mind a sporty look. I for sure change out the watch band or to just a "regular" watch when I want to dress up.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The Good

• Battery Life
    • Bright screen with vibrant colors
    • Interchangeable bands
    • Great specs for the price

The Bad

• Thick chunky squared off design
    • No wireless charging
    • Only one button and no rotating hardware buttons
    • No NFC for mobile payments
    • No ambient light sensor
    • Uncomfortable stock band

Basically I'd love to see the Quartz with a more rounded design with better bezels that minimizes the appearance of it's thickness. Much like the LG Watch Sport which is similar in thickness but looks much better. That or I'd like to see it slimmer like the Samsung S3 Frontier which packs in even more hardware features than the Quartz with a HRM and wireless charging while still being slimmer.

Then add wireless charging, more hardware buttons and a rotating one much like the LG Watch Sport or S3 Frontier. Along with NFC for mobile payments and an ambient light sensor. I honestly wouldn't care at all if they left out the cellular radios to make it slimmer or add these other more desirable hardware features.

For me cellular connectivity is a novelty and not something I even care about or have any desire at all to pay extra for each month. However, the features I do miss on the watch and I would use daily are more buttons, a rotating button, wireless charging, an ambient light sensor, and mobile payments with NFC. All of these are much more useful than cellular connectivity on a watch and would improve the usability much more.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The Good...
    ~ IP67 water resistance. It's an absolute must for a watch. (IP68 would be even better of course)
    ~ Decent battery life, although it could be better, it keeps up with other brands
    ~ Android Wear 2.0 at a great price point
    ~ Easily swappable bands and compatible with aftermarket bands
    ~ Fairly bright screen (but a torch mode for like 5 seconds would be nice for reading in direct sunlight)
    ~ Cellular connectivity. Very nice feature IF you need it. I'd be happy to trade it for other features like
    NFC and Heart Rate Monitor

The Bad...
    ~ No NFC. At this point in the game, all smartwatches and phones should have it IMO.
    ~ No heart rate monitor.
    ~ The design is a bit juvenile. I like sporty and classy, but it could use touch more class.
    The blue accents make it hard to match with clothing and bands, and caters too much to masculinity.
    ~ Wireless charging would be great, but again maybe not at this price point.
    I really do NOT like the hockey puck chargers though. They are maybe times difficult to get a solid connection,
    and are just generally cumbersome. The Quartz one also needs a USB-C cable.
    ~ No ambient light sensor. Again should we expect it at this price point? It would be nice.

The Ugly...
    ~ That stock watch band. It's ugly. It's too stiff. It makes my arm sweat and pulls my arm hair.
    It's THE worst part of the watch. Bar none.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The Good
    *The price (with T-Mobile's Promotion)
    *Bands that can be easily swapped (love that I can dress up this watch)
    *Performance: Watch performs well, I cant say I have noticed any undesirable actions
    *Display : Nice and bright, great for a flashlight :)

The Bad

• Battery life: I must be the only one but I can get 14hrs before I need to put the watch on the cradle. There is no way for my watch to see the 2nd day like everyone is saying. I am indoors most of the time so the display is on the lowest setting, I make 2 calls a day no more than 5 minutes at most.
    • No NFC: I hear ZTE didnt want to add more thickness to the watch, but add NFC anyway!
      *This is a ding on Android Wear I hate the implementation of Play Music and Google Maps!

Looks like we all do agree that more battery life never hurts:).

Keep them coming guys.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@saeedted said:
    The Good
    *Performance: Watch performs well, I cant say I have noticed any undesirable actions

The Bad

• Battery life: I must be the only one but I can get 14hrs before I need to put the watch on the cradle. There is no way for my watch to see the 2nd day like everyone is saying. I am indoors most of the time so the display is on the lowest setting, I make 2 calls a day no more than 5 minutes at most.
    • No NFC: I hear ZTE didnt want to add more thickness to the watch, but add NFC anyway!
      *This is a ding on Android Wear I hate the implementation of Play Music and Google Maps!

Yesterday was a new record in battery performance! 18 hrs: 6 am to 12 am! Put back on cradle at 8%

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@saeedted said:

@saeedted said:
    The Good

The Bad

Yesterday was a new record in battery performance! 18 hrs: 6 am to 12 am! Put back on cradle at 8%

I had one like that the other day.
    I can't recall the exact numbers, but I put it on at like 7am, and then at like 7 or 8 pm, I looked at the battery and it was still in the high 20s. I didn't "use" it a ton, but just being on brightness +4 all day, notifications coming through, etc... it still rocked. For the record though I did have cellular turned off.

• onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 154 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Random thoughts'''As already mentioned NFC and light sensor would be nice. The thickness doesn't bother me and is currently necessary for the 500MA battery. I also do not mind the band as it is one of the few I can wear without breaking out when it's hot. It's rubber but it's hight quality rubber :) A camera isn't necessary but in view of the fact that there are good performingwatched with cameras out there for not much money, I'd like to have it.
    If ZTE wants to continue trying to break in to the watch market, they need more outlets besides T-Mobile and perhaps various models including one that looks like the Apple watch.

The battery life will also depend on the watch face you uses. Using stock watch face, I tends to get longer battery than any of the after-market ones.

I do agree with you @onemat that more outlet would be nice. I think having a cellular connectivity is great as a back up in the even that you just happen to not have your phone with you. Though I am sure there are people who really only want just a watch without it and just tether to their phone and using wifi. So having more option definitely would be good.

• nanonano Posts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a zte watch, but would buy one if they had good signal similar to a phone. T-Mobile sales people can't keep their story straight on cost and return policy. If they would allow me to try it for a day or two to determine signal coverage I would buy one. I only care about making text and calls and maybe an organizer/ calendar program. I don't care anything about connecting to a phone. In fact I would rather not even have a phone if this worked. So, who can tell what kind of stand alone signal coverage do you get and battery life when in cellular mode all day? Thanks.

@nano said:
    I don't have a zte watch, but would buy one if they had good signal similar to a phone. T-Mobile sales people can't keep their story straight on cost and return policy. If they would allow me to try it for a day or two to determine signal coverage I would buy one. I only care about making text and calls and maybe an organizer/ calendar program. I don't care anything about connecting to a phone. In fact I would rather not even have a phone if this worked. So, who can tell what kind of stand alone signal coverage do you get and battery life when in cellular mode all day? Thanks.

The cellular signal is pretty strong with mine. I'd say not as strong as a phone, but still acceptable.
    The battery life will drain more with cellular turned on in the watch all day, compared to using it with a phone.
    You may be ok though using watchfaces that don't burn too much battery and keep it dimmer indoors,
    and maybe even in theater (black) mode when not in use. It just depends on how you use it, and how long you need to use/wear it. If you leave the watchface on and brightness at or near brightest all day long, plus cellular, it'll last like 8-10 hours tops. If you want all that and 18 hours of battery, it doesn't exist.
    While the battery drains fairly quickly with all bells and whistles running, I don't believe there is a watch out there that does much better, and if so it's only slightly better at double or triple the price.

• nanonano Posts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your response DoppelgangerD. In my house I get 1 bar usually on my Samsung S4. I worry that using the watch will result in missed calls and texts. At some point I will just have to take the plunge. If anyone was real life results to share to this topic please chime in!

@nano said:
    Thanks for your response DoppelgangerD. In my house I get 1 bar usually on my Samsung S4. I worry that using the watch will result in missed calls and texts. At some point I will just have to take the plunge. If anyone was real life results to share to this topic please chime in!

The watch runs on 3G network so the coverage will really depending on if you get a good signal on T-Mobile's 3G frequency. I got fairly good T-Mo coverage at my location and I do not have issuing using the watch just on cellular connectivity for call and text. Now if you do ended up setting the watch with T-Mobile's Digits program, then if you got an incoming call, it actually will ring all of your devices (phone + watch) which hopefully could help you in case either one of the two devices is in a dead spot.

As for battery life, I really haven't run just the watch by itself since I always have my phone nearby though you should not have issue using just for calls and texts (would be kind of funny in my mind talking to your wrist in public and having the speaker blasting the conversation so that everyone can hear it:)). I think it's hard to judge battery life without you testing it as it depends on your usage pattern. Since I can last about a day of use on BT+wifi, I would expect using solely on cellular would be a bit less and at best last you a full working day.

• schwartzasherschwartzasher United StatesPosts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You took my words and wrote it down. I think it's all good. If you can a Sim tray would be cool.