Help --- trying to Unlock Bootloader and install Lineage OS

jjremaxjjremax detroit, miPosts: 43 ✭✭✭✭

My Axon 7 currently has Android 7.1.1 and Build number is A2017UV 1.1.0B32. I am trying to follow @DrakenFX thread (https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/15432/guide-unofficial-safe-method-unlock-bootloader-usa-axon-7-only/p1) to unlock the bootloader and install LOS. I downloaded all the files from above thread links and saved on my SDcard. After Step 2 (Wipe Data/Factory Reset), I applied Step 3.1 (A2017UV1.0.0B29_MoveToSDCard.zip). It came up E: failed to verify whole-file signature; update package verification took 120.1s; E: Signature verification failed; E: error :21; Installation aborted.

What caused that and what I should do to move forward? (The phone doesn't have TWRP yet, was installed MiFavor; Kernel those type files inside). Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Los Angeles, CA Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @jjremax
    It seems what causes the problem here is you need to downgrade to for saying either B19 (N) or B15 (N),

I have both files and I'll be able to upload them in just a couple hours.

I'll be replying back with the link of either one and out can follow the rest of the guide from main thread.

• jjremaxjjremax detroit, miPosts: 43 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your quick reply, @DrakenFX. You mean I can jump from my current B32 to B19(N) or B15(N) without doing those B29 and B20? Sorry for such new thing for me. Thanks again.

@jjremax
    Glad I can help,
    No you still need to further downgrade after B19 or B15 ,

Either of those 2 will help the verified message you are getting with B29 (MM).

OK. Awaiting for your files. Thanks for your kind help, @DrakenFX.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jjremax you won't be disappointed. Lineage runs great on the A7. It's just as smooth and fast as any Pixel phone and it's exciting getting an update every Monday.

@DrakenFX. I just found from your (Downloads for : -Android- Generic Device/Other), there is a file called A2017UV1.1.0B15.zip, which I didn't download and move to SDcard because you didn't mention it in your Files Needed. I thought the Steps won't need this file. If this file is what you meant the B19 (N) or B15 (N), there is no need for your to upload it again. I will download it and save to my SDcard. Just not sure how to use this file in your Steps. Thanks.

@DrakenFX. I just downloaded that A2017UV1.1.0B15.zip and moved to my SD card and re-do Step 2 and Step 3.1. It came up the same message about the failed to verify whole-file signature (except the time took became 116 s). I think that file I downloaded didn't help. So, I just wait for your files and further instruction. Sorry for the trouble here.

edited December 4, 2017 4:48PM

@jjremax
    no problem, just out of curiosity.... You have " enable OEM Unlock " under developer options right?

i'll uploading B19 (N) just in case in hr. or 2 hr, sorry the wait.

EDIT :
    lucky don't have to upload the file, :smiley: ... you can just download the B19 from here https://www.zteusa.com/axon-7#support that's the official SDCard Package.. as soon you done with the download let me.

Yes, I enabled OEM Unlock. What is the next step after downloaded B19? I am done with that download.

@jjremax
    Open the zip and make sure there is NO update.zip inside ,

IF you see an UPDATE.ZIP , inside the B19 zip file, that's the zip you need to move over the SDCard. and install from there.

i just deleted that B15 that I downloaded from your source (because my SD card is only about 8GB capacity) and moved new downloaded B19 to SD card and re-did Step 2 and Step 3.1. It still came up the same message saying failed to verify the whole-file signature. (time took 117.2 s). Not sure if this time would be related to that deleted B15 due to my SD card size. If not related to that, what did I do wrong. I doubled checked about "enable OEM Unlock" and "USB debugging" before I re-did.

Due to factory reset, I had to sign in again and found that the"Developer Options" is gone and I had to tap 7 times on the build number to bring back the "Developer Options". Does that mean I did enable OEM Unlock? right.

I just found there is an "UPDATE.ZIP" from B19 zip. Did you mean to delete the instruction inside B19 zip and install "update.zip" rather than do B29 at Step 3.1?

@jjremax
    The "update.zip" you found inside the zip need to be move to SDCard just the "update.zip" the apply using Recovery

OK. Do I still need to do B29 and B20 (Step 3.1 and Step 3.2) in your Steps? Or, do you mean I just do Step 3.3 after I do the UPDATE.zip from B19 zip, then from the rest of steps?

@jjremax
    Yup, after B19, you still need to follow the B29(MM) and so on.

@DrakenFX. It still came up the same message, E:failed to verify whole-file signature. (time took 142.3 s).

The process I took was
    1). moved B20 to SD card.zip
    2). moved B29 to SD card.zip
    3). moved B20 Fastboot_ssl to SD card.zip
    4). moved update.zip to SD card

The first 3 files were downloaded from your link. The 4th file was downloaded from ZTE.com

The steps I took were as following.

(1). Boot to Recovery ( by hold Power and Volume Up)
    (2). Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and Press Power
    (3). Select apply update from sdcard and Press Power
    (3.1) Select the update.zip and Apply

After a while, it came up above message and I could not move forward, and saying installation aborted.

I don't know where I did was wrong. Sorry for the trouble.

@DrakenFX, I just thought my computer is 32 bit (Windows 8), the Axon 7 is kind of 64 bit machine. Would this difference cause the trouble here?

@jjremax
    That's weird you still having that issue.... I'll look into and find a safe way for you to get LOS,

Thanks, man. I am desperate here.

@DrakenFX, updating what I did.

I restarted recovery and tried to do adb sideload update.zip, which I never done before.

I selected Apply Update from ADB from the recovery of Axon 7, then I went to the fold that has update.zip file in my computer and opened the Commend Prompt Window and typed: adb sideload update.zip. Then, pressed the Enter key in my computer. It came up: loading 'update.zip'; cannot read 'update.zip',

Don't know if there is something wrong with such ADB steps. I also found Axon 7 didn't show on device manager when I was in such ADB sideload, but when I type ADB on Commend Prompt Window, it shows long list of function, which seems both are connected. After restarted the phone, it shows on Device Manager. Really don't know what went wrong.

Also, my Axon 7 has what they called Sleep of Death (or SOD) issue, which means the phone works fine when in use, but the phone will power off by itself after a few seconds of going to sleep (not in use). If I keep it plug in, it won't shut off (death). I don't know what caused that as well. I heard some people saying re-install the system would make such issue gone. But I updated the phone system through the phone many times (Android and MiFavor), the issue is still there. I am not sure if such issue caused all the trouble above and how to solve it.

• BajanhitmanBajanhitman BarbadosPosts: 2 ✭✭

I installed Axon7toolkit found here https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/development/tool-axon7toolkit-t3573108 it did evertying. Unlocked bootlader, installed twrp and I am about to install lineage os.

• BajanhitmanBajanhitman BarbadosPosts: 2 ✭✭

I am on latest twrp too by the way. Just follow the instructions to a T.

cool. I will try it. A few quick question before I do it.

1). Should I download all the files, (Axon7Toolkit-v1.2.1-setup.exe; Source code (zip); Source code (tar.gz)) or just one of them?
    2). Where should I save them and how to install into Axon 7?
    3). Can I use the phone to download them directly or I have to save to SD card and do the same thing as update from SD card?
    4). Do they charge fee for those files? (There is a Pricing tab from that website)
    5). How do you feel so far for your downloads and TWRP?
    6). How to install Lineage OS from this one?

Many thanks in advance.

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jjremax said:

1). Should I download all the files, (Axon7Toolkit-v1.2.1-setup.exe; Source code (zip); Source code (tar.gz)) or just one of them?
    3). Can I use the phone to download them directly or I have to save to SD card and do the same thing as update from SD card?
    4). Do they charge fee for those files? (There is a Pricing tab from that website)

Many thanks in advance.

Hi I'm the developer of the toolkit.

1) You only need to download the exe file
    2) You install and run it on your computer, not on your Axon 7
    3) See #2
    4) No the toolkit is free but if you want to donate to me for my work it'll be greatly appreciated
    5) Not sure what you're asking
    6) You use the following options (in order):
    I-Install Drivers
    2-Test Drivers
    3-Unlock Bootloader
    4-Flash TWRP

Then follow the instructions in the lineage thread (https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/development/unofficial-lineageos-14-1-zte-axon-7-t3545679) to flash the ROM on your device.

Give it a try! If you have any more questions or need help just mention me with @benkores.

@benkores. Thanks for your kind reply and your hard work.

Still little bit confusion about the Steps. After I download the exe file to my computer, how can I put those files into the phone? Or, maybe there are some instructions in your exe. file?

I will try it tomorrow and report back to you.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go @benkores.

@benkores. I downloaded such exe file and was trying to install it into my computer. It came up a warning message saying dangerous and Chrome has blocked the file, which scared me about such installation. Is this some kind of dangerous file that will harm my computer, not just the phone?

PS. I used another computer which runs by Linux because I don't want to harm my normal computer. After downloading, I could not open such Axon7Toolkit-v1.2.1-setup.exe in that Linux computer, which saying download error, or something like that. Could you please tell me what I should do for that as well? Which program I can open such file in Linux? Thanks.

edited December 6, 2017 8:51PM

@jjremax said:

Many thanks in advance.

Hi I'm the developer of the toolkit.

1) You only need to download the exe file
    2) You install and run it on your computer, not on your Axon 7
    3) See #2
    4) No the toolkit is free but if you want to donate to me for my work it'll be greatly appreciated
    5) Not sure what you're asking
    6) You use the following options (in order):
    I-Install Drivers
    2-Test Drivers
    3-Unlock Bootloader

Then follow the instructions in the lineage thread to flash the ROM on

Give it a try!

@jjremax said:
    @benkores. I downloaded such exe file and was trying to install it into my computer. It came up a warning message saying dangerous and Chrome has blocked the file, which scared me about such installation. Is this some kind of dangerous file that will harm my computer, not just the phone?

PS. I used another computer which runs by Linux because I don't want to harm my normal computer. After downloading, I could not open such Axon7Toolkit-v1.2.1-setup.exe in that Linux computer, which saying download error, or something like that. Could you please tell me what I should do for that as well? Which program I can open such file in Linux? Thanks.

The toolkit only works in Windows. The warning is a false positive, the toolkit does not have viruses or malware.

OK. I will try it again on Windows. How can I do because Chrome automatically blocked the download after I clicked your exe file?

@jjremax said:
    OK. I will try it again on Windows. How can I do because Chrome automatically blocked the download after I clicked your exe file?

Try another browser.