Software update for ZTE Grand X 4

My phone is currently running Android 6.0.1 and has not updated. I have been told that there isn't an update to the android software for ZTE even though other carriers have android 7. Seeing if anyone knew if there was an update or if there is going to be one in the future.

Comments

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Zeke13 said:
    My phone is currently running Android 6.0.1 and has not updated. I have been told that there isn't an update to the android software for ZTE even though other carriers have android 7. Seeing if anyone knew if there was an update or if there is going to be one in the future.

@Zeke13 I seriously doubt that there will be any updates. ZTE just doesn't update the budget phones.

Thats not a completely true statement, the Axon 7 Mini received Nougat, your referring to carrier devices which ZTE has no control over. For almost all carrier devices the carrier contracts the OEM to produce a device to meet certain category or price point and ZTE produces the device for that carrier. The carrier then determines if or when an update is gonna happen because they are the ones footing the bills for the cost of implementing and supporting that update. Since carriers make there money off of the service and not the device there is little incentive for them to make sure you have the most up to date software so many budget carriers dont update devices. Cricket doesnt update because price point is key in there strategy so its not likely you will get an update.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thats why I said its not a completely true statement, I agree its not gonna get updated however using a blanket statement that ZTE doesnt update budget devices wasnt the truth. ZTE has control over the unlocked devices and that why the see updates