Bonkers. Cannot update stock firmware from official ZTE website. Z958. PICS

Hi

I have a ZTE Z958 running 5.1....ZTE has official update to 6.1 on the site in an update.zip (1.2gb). I tried the recommended method of storage card update and FAIL. I tried forced update via Android recovery (power button/vol) and FAIL. I even tried applying update via ADB and FAIL. I'm not a total newb but geeze..any guidance appreciated.

Error messages range from cannot mount sdcard to ...NOT a KS package...

Pics attached. Help and thanks



Comments

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • pointbobpointbob WAPosts: 7 ✭✭✭

    Thanks jason...I'm running 5.1....ZTE (BUILD Z958V1.0.0B14) ....I d/l the official update to 6.1 on the site in an update.zip (1.2gb)....(also I don't have an att sim...my phone is unlocked with tmobile)

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2017 1:21PM

    Unlocked or not, that is an ATT device model. Not sure what might be wrong with the software on the ZTE site, but you should still be able to get the over the air update from ATT on WiFi. B14 looks to be the original software.

  • DrakenFXDrakenFX United StatesPosts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @pointbob

    • Enable "OEM Unlock" , under developers option
    • packages/update.zip most be in the SD card
    • reboot to recovery and apply update via sdcard once more...

    P.s. Before proceeding, open up the update.zip and make sure there is no other Zip file inside,

  • pointbobpointbob WAPosts: 7 ✭✭✭

    @DrakenFX said:
    @pointbob

    • Enable "OEM Unlock" , under developers option
    • packages/update.zip most be in the SD card
    • reboot to recovery and apply update via sdcard once more...

    P.s. Before proceeding, open up the update.zip and make sure there is no other Zip file inside,

    Thanks Draken. I did what you said and OEM unlocked it. In the recovery I got passed the sd mount error but bizarrely the phone cannot see the update.zip file at all in the sd card directory.

    It says CHOOSE A PACKAGE TO INSTALL : // Sdcard (no option for update.zip)

    I checked the update.zip and it is indeed full of update files...no more zips. Also I tried to sideload it again as well and got the same KS error message...I'm wondering now if it's because my build is so old (a 14) and when you look at the "previous versions" on the att tutorial page it seems a lot of other build updates are required before 6.1 can be added...damn.

    https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html#!/stepbystep/id/stepbystep_KM1127815?make=ZTE&model=ZTEZ958

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Yeah, you may be to far behind to jump to the latest directly depending on how the update is structured. ATT may not be hosting all the older updates either, so you may be out of luck of obtaining it from an official source.

  • pointbobpointbob WAPosts: 7 ✭✭✭

    @jasonscarter said:
    Yeah, you may be to far behind to jump to the latest directly depending on how the update is structured. ATT may not be hosting all the older updates either, so you may be out of luck of obtaining it from an official source.

    i tried googling some of the previous updates and your right...no one hosting them...but thank you for your help..i learned a lot.

  • DrakenFXDrakenFX United StatesPosts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @pointbob
    Is your update.zip on your sdcard?
    If you do a copy to your internal storage, it may seems reads it out of the internal instead of sdcard, but for the sake of not going back and forward, copy update.zip to the root of internal and sdcard, try again

  • pointbobpointbob WAPosts: 7 ✭✭✭

    @DrakenFX said:
    @pointbob
    Is your update.zip on your sdcard?
    If you do a copy to your internal storage, it may seems reads it out of the internal instead of sdcard, but for the sake of not going back and forward, copy update.zip to the root of internal and sdcard, try again

    actually I did try that. copied to the internal card memory...problem is then it was not even recognized as being there when i attempted to update via the "about phone storage card update method..."

  • DrakenFXDrakenFX United StatesPosts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @pointbob
    So correct me if I'm wrong....

    You have a copy of the "update.zip " on your internal and sscard right ?

  • pointbobpointbob WAPosts: 7 ✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2017 2:37PM

    @DrakenFX said:
    @pointbob
    So correct me if I'm wrong....

    You have a copy of the "update.zip " on your internal and sscard right ?

    Yes. I first tried like the recommended method of having update.zip on the sd card. After it failed i thought what the hell...so i copied it to the internal 8gb memory of the zte...attempted storage card update and I simply got an error message that no file was found in the root.

    ps..I even wiped the cache...

  • DrakenFXDrakenFX United StatesPosts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @pointbob
    I see, your only way will be , borrow an AT&T Sim card and update via OTA, I know may not be the greatest solution but it seems is the only way to go at the moment, having Tmo sim as default won't help ..... You'll need an ATT sim card.

  • pointbobpointbob WAPosts: 7 ✭✭✭

    @DrakenFX said:
    @pointbob
    I see, your only way will be , borrow an AT&T Sim card and update via OTA, I know may not be the greatest solution but it seems is the only way to go at the moment, having Tmo sim as default won't help ..... You'll need an ATT sim card.

    thanks...just wondering..there are lots of used and inactive att sim cards on ebay for a cpl bucks....would that be sufficient for an OTA update you think?

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @pointbob said:

    @DrakenFX said:
    @pointbob
    I see, your only way will be , borrow an AT&T Sim card and update via OTA, I know may not be the greatest solution but it seems is the only way to go at the moment, having Tmo sim as default won't help ..... You'll need an ATT sim card.

    thanks...just wondering..there are lots of used and inactive att sim cards on ebay for a cpl bucks....would that be sufficient for an OTA update you think?

    The service will have to be active on it. Borrow one from a friend for a few hours.

  • Real1251Real1251 Dominican RepublicPosts: 1 ✭✭
    edited October 24, 2018 4:57PM


    Can someone update me please in my country, no att?
Sign In or Register to comment.