The Axon M for $525.

jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• wings4anniewings4annie Orange,caPosts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Now that's a great deal!

• westside80westside80 United StatesPosts: 6,513 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Already on sale? I read that earlier and thought it didn't sound too good.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Has that phone had any major updates since release?

• MSTKMSTK USAPosts: 53 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping they would not do that. At first I considered getting two of them on preorder with the next plan. That would have been a good deal for the wife and I. I ended up paying full price for myself. The mic did go out on my phone. It would only work on speaker phone. I trouble shot with AT&T. A new phone is on the way. I'm out of a phone for about 5 days. Good thing I have a work cell though. I have been using an old phone on WiFi. I miss having the two screens. I was actually able to do website work and a few other things on it. I'll be glad when the new phone gets here.

edited December 3, 2017 11:05PM

@MSTK said:
    I was hoping they would not do that. At first I considered getting two of them on preorder with the next plan. That would have been a good deal for the wife and I. I ended up paying full price for myself. The mic did go out on my phone. It would only work on speaker phone. I trouble shot with AT&T. A new phone is on the way. I'm out of a phone for about 5 days. Good thing I have a work cell though. I have been using an old phone on WiFi. I miss having the two screens. I was actually able to do website work and a few other things on it. I'll be glad when the new phone gets here.

So how are you liking the Axon M? Did you pay the full price or the sale price? $525 or $724? That would hurt a little if you paid the full price and then it went on sale. Well, it happens to all phones if you think about it. They all go down in price rather quickly. The fact that the price has already dropped so much scares me when it comes to future support. If it's not a good seller then they probably won't worry as much about updating it. I could be wrong though. I have been once or twice before. :p

@westside80 said:
    So how are you liking the Axon M? Did you pay the full price or the sale price? $525 or $724? That would hurt a little if you paid the full price and then it went on sale. Well, it happens to all phones if you think about it. They all go down in price rather quickly. The fact that the price has already dropped so much scares me when it comes to future support. If it's not a good seller then they probably won't worry as much about updating it. I could be wrong though. I have been once or twice before. :p

I paid the full $724 online. I'm still not sure how many people know about it. I have shown a number of people and they never heard of it. I will say though at $525 it is a definite win in a mid range category.

@MSTK said:

@westside80 said:

I paid the full $724 online. I'm still not sure how many people know about it. I have shown a number of people and they never heard of it. I will say though at $525 it is a definite win in a mid range category.

Ouch. I agree. $525 is a great price for it. I just hope ZTE supports it like they should.

@westside80 said:

@MSTK said:

@westside80 said:

Ouch. I agree. $525 is a great price for it. I just hope ZTE supports it like they should.

I received a call from someone from ZTE about my phone registration. I was told issues will be handled through AT&T so they will handle updates as far as I understood it.

@MSTK said:

@westside80 said:

@MSTK said:

@westside80 said:

I received a call from someone from ZTE about my phone registration. I was told issues will be handled through AT&T so they will handle updates as far as I understood it.

Right but doesn't ZTE have to give the update to AT&T first? Maybe not. I'm not certain how that works. I always buy unlocked phones.

@westside80 said:

@MSTK said:

@westside80 said:

Won't that be up to AT&T? Whoever is responsible for maintaining it should since ZTE was able to get a carrier sold phone. That's a lot bigger deal than all the budget phones that ZTE sells through the MVNO 's. Even though those budget phones seem to be ZTE' s bread and butter.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@MSTK said:

@westside80 said:

Won't that be up to AT&T? Whoever is responsible for maintaining it should since ZTE was able to get a carrier sold phone. That's a lot bigger deal than all the budget phones that ZTE sells through the MVNO 's. Even though those budget phones seem to be ZTE' s bread and butter.

I don't know. I always buy unlocked so I don't really know how that works. My guess would be that AT&T will push out updates. Hopefully.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@MSTK said:

@westside80 said:

I don't know. I always buy unlocked so I don't really know how that works. My guess would be that AT&T will push out updates. Hopefully.

When it comes to carrier branded devices, it is up to the carrier to initiate updates for software, including security updates. Almost all service inquiries go through the carrier, in this case it's AT&T.
    The device manufacturer (ZTE) is contracted to engineer the device for both hardware and software.
    In some cases the device manufacturer may develop a device and then offer it to a carrier, but all of those details are kept private by the parties involved. Of course there may be contracts ahead of time involving how long ZTE may offer updates, bug fixes, security, etc... but again those details are private.
    AT&T bears the brunt of customer support though, and ultimately is also responsible for initiating updates and support.

@DoppelgangerD said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@MSTK said:

@westside80 said:

When it comes to carrier branded devices, it is up to the carrier to initiate updates for software, including security updates. Almost all service inquiries go through the carrier, in this case it's AT&T.
    The device manufacturer (ZTE) is contracted to engineer the device for both hardware and software.
    In some cases the device manufacturer may develop a device and then offer it to a carrier, but all of those details are kept private by the parties involved. Of course there may be contracts ahead of time involving how long ZTE may offer updates, bug fixes, security, etc... but again those details are private.
    AT&T bears the brunt of customer support though, and ultimately is also responsible for initiating updates and support.

Makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I buy unlocked so I wasn't for sure how that worked.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@MSTK said:

@westside80 said:

Makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I buy unlocked so I wasn't for sure how that worked.

It may vary somewhat depending on the OEM, but for ZTE that's pretty much how it usually works.
    So when you see ZTE devices that are carrier devices from AT&T, Metro PCS, Cricket, Boost, etc...
    ...all those devices are owned by the carrier and again the carriers handle the primary support,
    and software/security updates are contracted by the carrier too.
    While ZTE may be the developer of the hardware and software, they go by what the carrier contracts them to do
    (when it comes to carrier branded devices)

edited December 4, 2017 3:29AM

@DoppelgangerD said:

@westside80 said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@MSTK said:

@westside80 said:

It may vary somewhat depending on the OEM, but for ZTE that's pretty much how it usually works.
    So when you see ZTE devices that are carrier devices from AT&T, Metro PCS, Cricket, Boost, etc...
    ...all those devices are owned by the carrier and again the carriers handle the primary support,
    While ZTE may be the developer of the hardware and software, they go by what the carrier contracts them to do

The only bad thing about that is if the carrier never issues an update for any particular phone the unknowing public blames the company with the name on the phone. For instance if someone didn't know any better and they bought a ZTE phone from AT&T and it never received one update then the person is going to say "Don't buy a ZTE phone because they don't get updates." Then again most of the non-technological public probably don't even care about updates. They probably just want a phone that's pretty fast and has a good selfie camera. Lol

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is awesome deal for anyone who is on ATT.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

That's for sure a better offer than ATT is offering, which is simply a $100 gift card when you buy one.

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, TexasPosts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wow this is a really Great Deal!!

@westside80 said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@westside80 said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@MSTK said:

@westside80 said:

The only bad thing about that is if the carrier never issues an update for any particular phone the unknowing public blames the company with the name on the phone. For instance if someone didn't know any better and they bought a ZTE phone from AT&T and it never received one update then the person is going to say "Don't buy a ZTE phone because they don't get updates." Then again most of the non-technological public probably don't even care about updates. They probably just want a phone that's pretty fast and has a good selfie camera. Lol

You're right @westside80. And let's face it. When we're talking about updates with the ZTE budget carrier phones there is no intention to update them. Using MetroPCS as an example there was the Zmax Pro. For many people it was free and others paid $99 - $129 for it. If there were problems that affected all the Zmax Pro phones there surely would be an update and ZTE would have to cover the cost of the update. But if the problems were random and didn't affect many people MetroPCS wasn't going to do anything about it because they would have to pay ZTE for the update since it is a contracted phone. People have been in the forum yelling for updates to the Zmax Pro and the updates were never going to happen. It was MetroPCS position that they would simply sell a replacement phone which they did with the Blade Zmax which supplanted the Zmax Pro. We do a disservice to the Zmax Pro owners telling them to contact MetroPCS for updates that were never going to happen because the phone was sold so inexpensively that MetroPCS never had any intention on paying ZTE to update it. The budget carrier phones are intended as yearly throw away phones. You get what you pay for.

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 296 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

That says sales aren't that good and now they're trying hard to offer incentives to buy the device. The "i told you so" is coming very soon.

@freeza said:
    That says sales aren't that good and now they're trying hard to offer incentives to buy the device. The "i told you so" is coming very soon.

It's difficult to say without any sales numbers to go on. I would say that you're probably right @freeza but then there were sales on the S8 and S8 + shortly after it came out. Which is not to make any comparison to S8 sales because that would be ludicrous.

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 296 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@freeza said:

It's difficult to say without any sales numbers to go on. I would say that you're probably right @freeza but then there were sales on the S8 and S8 + shortly after it came out. Which is not to make any comparison to S8 sales because that would be ludicrous.

Maybe so, but nobody expects Samsung to fail. The S8 and S8+ were available everywhere. Samsung's reasonings for offering discounts were different.

Best Buy has the Axon M for $200 off now.> @freeza said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@freeza said:

Maybe so, but nobody expects Samsung to fail. The S8 and S8+ were available everywhere. Samsung's reasonings for offering discounts were different.

I knew it wouldn't be a big seller.

@freeza said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@freeza said:

I agree with you. Actually I think at $525 the Axon M is probably priced where it would have been if ZTE had sold it unlocked and probably would have done much better but then they might not have built it in the first place.

edited December 5, 2017 2:02AM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@freeza said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@freeza said:

I agree with you. Actually I think at $525 the Axon M is probably priced where it would have been if ZTE had sold it unlocked and probably would have done much better but then they might not have built it in the first place.

It should have been $599 max from the start. I knew it wouldn't be a big seller and I don't think it was designed to be. I think it was designed for a certain group of people. The only bad thing about that is if that certain group of people don't buy it then you're left with a flop.

• swehesswehes Delta, UT, USAPosts: 91 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little disappointed that it is AT&T exclusive.