Google assistant won't launch from home button long press

diegomderasdiegomderas Portland, OrPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭

Out of the blue google assistant stopped launching with a long press on the home button on my Axon. Anyone have any idea how I can get it back? I've already gone through the assistant settings, and turned it off and then on again and still nothing. It does work with ok google but it is inconvenient for me to have to talk to my phone whenever I need a reminder rather than just typing my inputs. I'm on android 7.1 and mifavor ui 4.2. Thanks.

Comments

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@diegomderas can you please confirm the model # and build # of your Axon in the about phone section under the settings please.

Also have you cleared the cache of the device ? Turn the phone off > press and hold volume up and the power and then select clear cache > using the volume down button select the yes to confirm and the power button to clear it.

• diegomderasdiegomderas Portland, OrPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭

My model number is ztea2017u and my build number is a2017uv1.1.0b25.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@musicdjm said:
    @diegomderas can you please confirm the model # and build # of your Axon in the about phone section under the settings please.

Also have you cleared the cache of the device ? Turn the phone off > press and hold volume up and the power and then select clear cache > using the volume down button select the yes to confirm and the power button to clear it.

And clear the main storage cache in the storage settings. I would double check the settings also.

I'll give that a try

@jimlloyd40 said:

@musicdjm said:

And clear the main storage cache in the storage settings. I would double check the settings also.

Didn't work, any other ideas? It's super frustrating.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Does anything at all happen when you long press the home button?

@hollap said:
    Does anything at all happen when you long press the home button?

No, nothing at all. It used to last week.

edited August 23, 2017 12:36PM

Are you enrolled in Google Beta ? Also are you using a 3rd party launcher?

@musicdjm said:

I'm currently using the stock android theme for my axon. Sometimes I do use nova, or evie launcher but google assistant would launch before with no problems. I do use google beta as well.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@musicdjm said:

I'm not using Google Beta but I am using a third party launcher and mine works holding the power button or saying "ok Google".

Same here, saying google still works, just not the home button.

I asked about being on Google beta because its happened to be 2 times in the beta where I wasn't able to launch from home button either, they just updated the beta app a few days ago so I would suggest going into the play store and clicking uninstall once you have uninstalled the beta open the app and set the app back up and then re-download the beta app that worked for me when it happened so hopefully it helps. I was asking about the 3rd party launcher because some have gesture and input settings for settings shortcuts Im not to familiar with Evie launcher but I know Nova doesn't have a long press home key gesture I would just make sure that evie doesnt have one as well.

@diegomderas said:

@musicdjm said:

I'm currently using the stock android theme for my axon. Sometimes I do use nova, or evie launcher but google assistant would launch before with no problems. I do use google beta as well.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@musicdjm said:

I'm not using Google Beta but I am using a third party launcher and mine works holding the power button or saying "ok Google".

@musicdjm said:
    I asked about being on Google beta because its happened to be 2 times in the beta where I wasn't able to launch from home button either, they just updated the beta app a few days ago so I would suggest going into the play store and clicking uninstall once you have uninstalled the beta open the app and set the app back up and then re-download the beta app that worked for me when it happened so hopefully it helps. I was asking about the 3rd party launcher because some have gesture and input settings for settings shortcuts Im not to familiar with Evie launcher but I know Nova doesn't have a long press home key gesture I would just make sure that evie doesnt have one as well.

@diegomderas said:

@musicdjm said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@musicdjm said:

Just tried all that to no avail. Should I contact ZTE? I need to anyways because I'm having the camera shuddering problem that others are also having.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@diegomderas said:

@musicdjm said:

@diegomderas said:

@musicdjm said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@musicdjm said:

Just tried all that to no avail. Should I contact ZTE? I need to anyways because I'm having the camera shuddering problem that others are also having.

They can help you with the OIS vibrating problem but I doubt that they would have a solution to the Google Assistant problem. But since you're going to have to return your phone @diegomderas you might as well wait for the replacement phone to see if the Google Assistant problem is still there.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too.. Thanks! Do you know if the camera problem is a definite hardware issue? I'd be surprised if they didn't send me a new unit because of it but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had that same problem.

• eclipseddkeclipseddk Posts: 22 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I'm real late to the party but I just found out that anything past 479 dpi on screen size causes the Google Assistant long press to not work.

• eclipseddkeclipseddk Posts: 22 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@eclipseddk said:
    I know I'm real late to the party but I just found out that anything past 479 dpi on screen size causes the Google Assistant long press to not work.

Where did you read that @eclipseddk? And did you mean ppi instead of dpi? The Axon 7 is 538 ppi and long pressing works for Google Assistant.

My apologies what I meant was under the Developer Options under the Drawing section there's a field called "Smallest width" I had that number at 500 and it made the screen display more information since it downsized everything what I didn't know is it affect assistant's ability to scan the whole screen for the "what's on my screen" feature so long press to get assistant stopped working but vocally it didn't. I discovered it last night retracing my steps as to why it stopped working.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@eclipseddk said:

Very nice find. I had mine set to 495 and Google Assistant wasn't working except for when saying "Ok or Hey Google" but I changed the setting to 475 and it's working again.