Axon 7 Shutting Down in Cold Weather

troymv505troymv505 Posts: 16 ✭✭✭✭

What is the operating temp of the Axon 7 supposed to be? I've had issues with it in temperatures below 30F where the battery percentage will rapidly drop down to 0% and then it shuts off. When it warms back up indoors the battery percentage jumps back to where it was originally and functions normally. I just went for a walk in a 28F environment and the phone had a 42% charge, dropped to 0% in 4 minutes and then was done until it warmed up indoors.

I've owned a lot of phones and never had one so sensitive to cold weather. Had I needed it on my walk for an emergency I'd be out of luck, I don't trust it anymore.

Comments

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,477 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It should not be experiencing an issue such as that. I was using my Axon 7 a few weeks ago in NY while the temperature was under 10F and it worked fine for semi-frequent use of taking it out of my pocket for a few minutes to text and use google maps before placing it back in my pocket where the screen side of the device is pressed against my leg.

• ggregggreg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭

Says here: Operating Ambient Temperature 14 to 140°F(-10 to 60°C)

• troymv505troymv505 Posts: 16 ✭✭✭✭

This is my second phone also, the 1st one did the same thing. So I'm at a loss, I'm really considering not going with a ZTE phone as my next phone. I guess you get what you pay for, I came to ZTE for the reasonable pricing but I've had odd issues like this over the year I've owned the phone that I've never seen with other hardware.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,550 mod

I live in Maine where temps drop below zero often and we have three Axon7s and they all work as they should outside during these temps. Have you noticed any other abnormal issues concerning your battery that perhaps you overlooked or blamed on a game or app. I think there is more going on than just temps.
    @musicdjm do you have anything you can add that may be helpful.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have not experienced extreme weather with my gadgets so luckily I have yet to experience this. Though, many electronics have an optimal temperature range and it is normal that a device may shuts off under extremely low temperature (due to the battery unable to discharge under extremely cold).

Do you happen to have a case on your phone? If not, maybe adding a case (or add a slightly bulkier case) could help so that phone won't get too cold. Also, keep the phone close to you or inside a warm pocket so it won't get too cold while on the outside could prevent this from happening.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 mod

We great -0 temps all the time especially when Im home in Vermont havnt run into this issue at all, my Axon is pretty old and battery isnt an issue on mine. I carry my phone in my pants pocket so my phone is never really exposed to temperatures that low though other than when Im outside using it. Can you download https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm and after it happens post some screenshots
    go into the the app and go to the picture at the left bottom and then scroll to the left and it will show what the temp of the battery was and the battery percentage loss

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2018 3:40PM

@troymv505 said:
    What is the operating temp of the Axon 7 supposed to be? I've had issues with it in temperatures below 30F where the battery percentage will rapidly drop down to 0% and then it shuts off. When it warms back up indoors the battery percentage jumps back to where it was originally and functions normally. I just went for a walk in a 28F environment and the phone had a 42% charge, dropped to 0% in 4 minutes and then was done until it warmed up indoors.

I've owned a lot of phones and never had one so sensitive to cold weather. Had I needed it on my walk for an emergency I'd be out of luck, I don't trust it anymore.

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday morning. It was 8°F and the phone went from 44% charged to shutdown after being outside for a little over 30 minutes. I had my Axon 7 in my top left pocket of a heavy flannel jacket, which turned out to not be as warm as I thought it would be, as I was warm but the phone definitely wasn't :o
    Today phone is back to working normal and getting normal battery life.

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 1,164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of gadgets with ion batteries don't do well in cold.

• troymv505troymv505 Posts: 16 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the input, I have installed GSam Battery Monitor. It's warmer out now than it was a few days ago in Michigan so I haven't been able to recreate the issue and it will be warmer the next week at minimum. The next sub 30F degree day I'll try to record the battery temp before this condition occurs.

• 14blank4014blank40 United StatesPosts: 400 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've used the phone in between 3F and -4F while it was slightly exposed (Jean pocket) and have not noticed much of a difference in battery life. This was while I was shoveling and was using the phone to play music, but I'm sure that wouldn't make a huge difference over all.

• cablemancableman NortheastPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive noticed my capacitive keys wont work when phone is too cold, like when its in my work jacket where im warm but pocket is not. They do come back right away as soon as it warms up some.

• dannejannedannejanne SwedenPosts: 1 ✭✭

I have problem with mine too in cold. I live in Sweden so it's a real problem for me. When it gets ~5 Celsius or below it starts to act up. It drains 10% for a 30 minute walk listening to music in headphones. Normally just a few percent. Everything drain it much faster than usual. Then when I get inside it stabilizes and stays on that percantage until it drops to that percentage for real. So I really don't get worse battery life as long as the phone heats up again fairly soon. But I can not trust in using it outside really when it it very cold.

I bought my phone used and it's over a year old so I don't know if it's problem with my battery perhaps.

• SdizzuwSdizzuw United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭✭✭

I've had this same problem, just replace the battery. . Once I've did that. I've had no problems at all.