Bluetooth connectivity necessary?

technerdymonkeytechnerdymonkey Posts: 14 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I got a ZTE Quartz smartwatch for Christmas and so far I'm loving it. I do have 1 question. Is it necessary to Bluetooth connected even though I still get my notifications from LTE data connection? Are there advantages? It seems redundant but then again I am not 100% sure. Thanks.

Comments

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

By having the Bluetooth connection you can receive other notifications from the device, as well as things such as media playback controls while watching videos or listening to music, or any other media.

The Bluetooth connection is also used while adding new watch faces which make use of a companion app on the smartphone, as well as when sharing stats such as displaying the battery percentage of the smartphone, on the watch.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well if you are using the SIM capability of the watch to get notifications then yes, you will likely get duplicate notifications in most cases, so you don't need to have BT turned on. You will need to have it on though when you want the phone and watch to interact with each other.

• technerdymonkeytechnerdymonkey Posts: 14 ✭✭✭✭

@DoppelgangerD said:
    Well if you are using the SIM capability of the watch to get notifications then yes, you will likely get duplicate notifications in most cases, so you don't need to have BT turned on. You will need to have it on though when you want the phone and watch to interact with each other.

Thank you much buddy!

• technerdymonkeytechnerdymonkey Posts: 14 ✭✭✭✭

@razor512 said:
    By having the Bluetooth connection you can receive other notifications from the device, as well as things such as media playback controls while watching videos or listening to music, or any other media.

The Bluetooth connection is also used while adding new watch faces which make use of a companion app on the smartphone, as well as when sharing stats such as displaying the battery percentage of the smartphone, on the watch.

Will there be a noticeable difference in battery power in both phone and watch with the bluetooth always connected?

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For the watch, communicating over Bluetooth will use less power than the 3G radio, though having it stay connected to the phone via Bluetooth, will drain the battery in the phone slightly faster, hough is is not very noticeable in most use cases.