Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

How do you store and search your photos?

yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 22, 2018 9:02PM in Consumer Lab

Time for a poll!

Nowadays one of the main uses of a Smartphone is for taking photos. People store thousands of photos in their phones internal storage or back them up in the cloud (Google Photos). In this study, we would like to learn more about your how you store your photos and how you search your albums to view past photos in order to design an easier way for our customers.

1. Please select one of the options below and let us know how you currently store your photos. If you use a cloud storage, please specify which cloud storage you use?
  2. Tell us how you search for a specific picture in your album. What is most frustrating about the current way you search through your albums.
  3. What suggestions/ideal solutions for searching a specific photo in your album do you have for us.

There are no right or wrong answers in this study... please feel free to share your thoughts with us. You'll have a chance to win (1 of 5) $25 Amazon Gift Cards.

How do you store and search your photos? 44 votes

 I store all my photos in my phone until run out of the phone space, then I back up in my storage devices and remove from my phone. I have never used clouds album
6%
ironbaybeedollchuckbortDrakenFX 3 votes
 I store all my photos in my phone until run out of the phone space, then I back up in my clouds album and remove from my phone
11%
cyberdyneaustin45musicdjmThatonebadusernamehayleebarrick 5 votes
 I back up my photos in my clouds album automatically and remove my photos frequently. I have never run out of my storage space
52%
coldheat06frodriguez2010AmyXieDoppelgangerDcavanaughtimmobilegeezerdnewman007westside80louisdhollapjimlloyd40jasonscarterwiseman13TEXASMADE197814blank40hectorbribiescaemudojoblujAustinitegulfguy 23 votes
 Others
29%
razor512asbestosjasonesamsamharuntohell121fzrrichsaeedtedmousewings4annieclarktcccf07tfoust1012Myhrddin 13 votes

Comments

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
     I back up my photos in my clouds album automatically and remove my photos frequently. I have never run out of my storage space

I back up to Google Photos and have unlimited storage.
    I usually search by family member name or animal name; dog, cat, etc.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I keep my photos on my SD Card but also back them up automatically over WiFi or even cellular depending if I am taking a lot of pics.

I us Google Photos and also Amazon drive...... and sometimes I use my One Drive.

I usually try and tag my pictures depending if I have time, if not I search by date. If I am at a function I will create an album and they will all be saved there.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,615 mod
     I store all my photos in my phone until run out of the phone space, then I back up in my storage devices and remove from my phone. I have never used clouds album

I almost never use cloud services. I prefer all my photos on my device and will backup ones I like to my computer, or external drive.

• wings4anniewings4annie United StatesPosts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 10:14PM
     Others

I storage all my photos on SD cards.
    I almost never use cloud. If I have to use cloud I use Google photo.
    I use large SD cards. Then I transfer the photos to the e-waste school they belong.
    Personal I keep on SD cards under the event recorded

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,251 mod
     Others

I store all of my photos to my sd card. Everything is backed up to Google photos automatically as well Amazon photos. Periodically I will cut all of my photos from my sd card to a folder onony desktops extra hard drive. I have a lot of redundancies set in place because I value my photos most of which are family/kids. When I go back and search I usually have a good idea approximately of when the photo was taken so I scroll down to that month. If it is a specific photo I love I will add it to my favorites folder for quick reference.

• 14blank4014blank40 CanadaPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I do store pictures on my SD card but primarily i use Google photos, I usually take pictures of landscapes or pictures of people so I use the names of my family members or use the seasons to describe the pictures. I haven't really had any problems finding pictures using this method although sometimes if there isn't a specific thing I can describe it becomes harder. There's no real solution to this asides for AI software to get better at recognizing what pictures are.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,635 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
     Others

I store photos on my Micro SD card, and perform regular backups to my NAS. I do not rely on cloud storage as it is not as functional or reliable compared to storage on the micro SD card. With frequent updates, I can confidently delete older images and other content if I suddenly need to free up space, without having to worry about losing the original size and quality files.

• hectorbribiescahectorbribiesca Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭✭

Google Photos

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
     Others

I mostly store my photos on a microSD card with occasionally backing up to a hard drive. Rarely I use the Cloud unless it's for sharing with someone or groups. The way I think I search photos are either by date or by the geo-location; that is... if the geotagging is accurate; otherwise, it'll be difficult to search by location.

• gulfguygulfguy Mr. United StatesPosts: 29 ✭✭✭✭✭

I backup to Google Photos and Google Drive. I search for a specific subject i.e. person, dog,cat,garden,building,etc. .

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I automatically back up to Google photos and delete from phone frequently. I have never run out of space. I don't use the search function too often I'll admit.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 657 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I love Google Photos and I find the free down sampled images are good enough for my purposes. I often find myself searching by people, places, and dates in Google photos to show things to family and friends and I find having all of my photos there very convenient.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
     Others

I store photos on my phone's main storage (used to use microsd but stopped doing so since microsd is less reliable). Then once in awhile I will transfer them to my home NAS for local storage as backup.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,596 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I backup to Google Photos. I have unlimited space and search by name. I sound like Mobilegeezer, lol. :smiley:

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Backup to Google Photos and One Drive. Like having double backups for important ones. I exclude albums like screenshots though. I delete those as soon as I am done with them. I search by tags like dog, tree, or place name as I use Geo tagging.

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I only use my local storage.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I used to save all my pics to local storage devices, but it just became too much of a hassle, so I just let Google Photos back them up for me now.

Some of the most precious ones I want to make sure I never lose them, I will save those elsewhere too. Multiple backups are the only way to ensure your digital photos are safe.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 9:25AM

How I Store My Photos
    My photos & videos are backed up immediately to Google Photos and when on WiFi to Microsoft One Drive (unlimited storage) as well.
    Every so often I will make a backup to a dedicated hard drive that I use for my photos and videos only, just in case the cloud or the internet fails me.

How I Search
    I search either by date, location, or a general description of the occasion I'm looking for i.e. Christmas, Halloween, dog or whatever it may be.

Frustrating
    The lag while scrolling through any gallery app while searching for a photo that want found via the search method I mention above.

Tip
    Re-Design/Re-Develop ZTE Gallery App

Implement machine learning/AI into ZTE's gallery app as well as unlimited storage for backups from ZTE devices such as the Axon 7, Axon M and the Axon 9, or for all ZTE devices. Allow the app to be downloaded from the Play Store for older/legacy devices.
    Implement machine learning/AI into the ZTE gallery app so that it can learn and eventual discern between people, animals, cars, scenes, buildings etc. Code in a search function using an algorithm that will allow the user to search based on person, place, thing, or location. Eventually through the machine learning, you would be able to find the photo you are looking for with a basic search.
    I would love for a native gallery app such as described to be included on the Axon 9, thus giving me an alternative to Google Photos. In my opinion, the more options the better, especially when they are all great options.

Tip (Alternative)
    Use Google Photos as the default gallery app would be a nice move. That way I don't have to have 2 gallery apps installed yet actually only one that I really use, which at the moment is Google Photos.

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 190 ✭✭✭✭✭
     I store all my photos in my phone until run out of the phone space, then I back up in my clouds album and remove from my phone

I honestly don't take a whole lot of photos on my phone. I usually don't have to search that much. But if I do need to locate photos I do so by date. If I notice that a lot of space is being taken up on local storage, then I start moving photos to my onedrive account. Though I am probably one of the few people who do this manually and don't use the automatic features. I mainly do this manually so the photos that I take that are blurry or look terrible aren't automatically uploaded for me to find and delete later.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I double up on automatically synced cloud storage: google photos (reduced resolution for unlimited storage) and onedrive (I have 1TB with my Office 365 subscription). The onedrive is also synced with a local hard drive, so I always have a local copy.
    For the most part, I search photos by date. What's frustrating is that even with a fast connection, searching thousands of photos always involves a lag--in fact, the same is true to an extent even when searching local storage.
    My tip: both cloud services that I use also allow you to search by person with facial recognition, and by content using AI. The latter is not so useful except in niche cases (e.g., searching for photos with text, searching for photos with a certain color), but it is neat.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,067 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
     Others

I had to choose other because I store all my photos on my phone and also have them automatically back up to Google Photos. I use the Google Photos app to view, edit, organize, and search my photos. The most frustrating thing about searching is not being able to do it by phone used as I have several. Otherwise, Google Photos does a fantastic job by identifying what's in the phone and making it easy to search. I don't think ZTE or anyone else could do any better, it's Google Photos all the way or nothing.

• ThatonebadusernameThatonebadusername IsraelPosts: 31 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yindan said:
    Time for a poll!

Nowadays one of the main uses of a Smartphone is for taking photos. People store thousands of photos in their phones internal storage or back them up in the cloud (Google Photos). In this study, we would like to learn more about your how you store your photos and how you search your albums to view past photos in order to design an easier way for our customers.

1. Please select one of the options below and let us know how you currently store your photos. If you use a cloud storage, please specify which cloud storage you use?
    2. Tell us how you search for a specific picture in your album. What is most frustrating about the current way you search through your albums.
    3. What suggestions/ideal solutions for searching a specific photo in your album do you have for us.

There are no right or wrong answers in this study... please feel free to share your thoughts with us. You'll have a chance to win (1 of 5) $25 Amazon Gift Cards.

I go to Google photos and scroll through my photos until I find what I am looking for. I think it would be cool for ZTE to keep the stock photo app from Google (Google photos) as I am of the mindset of Don't fix what ain't broken, and I feel that Google photos does the job I need for photos and any additional apps is bloat I don't want clogging up my phone.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
     Others

I save photos to my SD card and automatically backup to Google Photos where I actively use to search and edit photos, I also automatically backup to Amazon's Prime Photos for redundancy since they save the full resolution of my photos.

Once the sd card is filled up I just get a new one leaving me 3 locations where my photos and videos are saved. If I need an sd card on the fly I can and sometimes do just erase a sd card.

Should I use a phone that doesn't have support sd cards I will just rely on Google Photos and Prime Photos, I won't be getting an external drive for the phone.

I normally search with Google Photos in terms using time and location parameters.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2018 1:53PM

Although I back-up through Google Photos I had to select the 2nd option since I never delete photos until im low in space and then I always to a copy on to a dual drive that mirrors the copy on 2 different 1TB harddrives. Im with @westside80 I never search for a photo, if for some reason I wanna find one I just scroll through them

• cf07cf07 CanadaPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Others

Removeable Sd card ....why this is not an option of the poll?

• tfoust1012tfoust1012 TXPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭
     Others

I mainly back up my photos on my phone. Eventually I move them over in bulk to my PC. Some of the photos that I really like go to the cloud.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I also back up via my external HDD just in case and for redundancy.

This discussion has been closed.