Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Would you purchase a new unlocked device that's still running on the previous generation Android OS?

ZTE ResearchZTE Research Posts: 13 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 23, 2018 1:42PM in Consumer Lab

Would you purchase a new unlocked device that's still running on the previous generation Android OS? 119 votes

No way, it's the newest or nothing.
51% 61 votes
Probably not, unless there is an announcement that it will be upgraded soon.
27% 33 votes
Probably, because the latest software is not a major deciding factor.
15% 19 votes
Other (Leave a comment down below)
5% 6 votes

Comments

• schwartzasherschwartzasher United StatesPosts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Why would you buy an old os device

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,251 mod

I voted no, I feel a new unlocked device should be running the latest OS. Why wait for a possible future update on one device when there are numerous others that can be purchased running the current Android OS. Just my thought. :)

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

To even consider doing something like that is a slap in the face of your customers especially when you are really horrible at providing timely security patches. No No a thousand times NO.

• mrknight85mrknight85 United StatesPosts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 2:00PM

That's an automatic pass on that device if it's a brand new device like coldheat said then it should come with the newest OS that's available it's kind of counterproductive it's like buying a new pair of sneakers and the sneaker company putting a old worn-down pair of soles on it.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,615 mod

New device needs new software. Outdated OS says low end, unsupported device.

• mrknight85mrknight85 United StatesPosts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Why would anybody want new hardware with the latest specs with old software especially where you could get mid-range low-end devices now with the latest OS already on them at purchase

• tfrank85tfrank85 Fort Lauderdale, FlPosts: 76 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pass on it, especially if there is a chance it will not be upgraded to the new OS.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I care about having the latest OS, but I care even more about getting a good deal on a phone. So at the right price point, I would not care about being a version behind.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,635 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There are exceedingly few cases where a phone maker can get away with releasing a new device that is running an older OS, and even then, it only works for a company that is completely dominating the market, and even then, it always results in a reduction in market share.

In the case of android 8, a new device being released with an older version, and then being updates to android 8, would be just begging for the device to fail in the marketplace, as the issues are 2 fold with such a move.

With newer android releases, Google is pushing for project treble support, while there is no push for it when it comes to devices being updated from an older version of android, thus the assumption is that a device being released today with android 7, with an update being planned for android 8, will have a very low chance at getting project treble support.

Further issues have to do with public perception.
    At the most critical time for a device where having good reviews are most important, you will have something that is guaranteed to be listed as a con.

Furthermore, the release of older software on a new device, gives a bad impression for the future outlook for software support, as the device would already be off to a bad start.

While the Axon 7 is doing well to help change the perception of short support cycles for android devices, we are still dealing with an industry where the vast majority of devices will get as most 1 OS version update in the life cycle of the device, and if the device gets released with an older OS, and then a few months later, gets updated to the current gen OS, many users will feel that that will be the last version update the device ever gets, and the bad start will make that belief more plausible than one of extended support.

Building a good first impression is important, and any cons that are common among reviews of a previous gen device, should be mitigates as much as possible on a next gen device, as it is nearly impossible to recover from a bad first impression.

For example, if you look at the failure of games like Destiny 2, For Honor, Battlefront 2 EA, Evolve, No Man's Sky, Mass Effect Andromeda etc., you will see that even for the ones that fixed the most glaring issues a few months down the line, at most saw a just a slowing or a slight uptick is usage, but nothing to allow the product to be a success. With the exception of destiny 2, battlefront 2 EA, and No Man's Sky, the other games were able to fix some of the biggest issues that users complained about it, but by the time the issues were fixed to a level that would have attracted much of their target market, those users had moved on to competing products and no longer even cared enough to even bother taking notice of the fixes, and likely spent their money elsewhere.

Overall, I feel it is a bad decision to release a new smartphone with an old OS, as this is possibly the worst possible time to do it, as unlike with older operating systems where you are just shooting your self in the foot once, with android 8 and project treble, using an older OS now will be taking an explosive tipped 50 cal, and shooting both feet. It will give up market share early on, that will not be recovered as almost no one does a sidegrade, and it will likely make for a lackluster reception of a future OS update as devices being updated to android 8 instead of outright coming with it, are less likely to have project treble support.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

While many consumers probably won't care or know about what software that is in their device as long as it works well (especially if it is one that is heavily skinned), it just makes no sense to have a new hardware with older OS.

I think having older OS means the software support is going to be shorter and the device will be outdated than the typical 2-3 years that most people would hold onto their phone. The way Android ecosystem is, many manufacturers only offer about 18-24 months of support. So, even if a new device is promised to have new version of android updates, by the time it receive the update, it will again be outdated. And it is very possible that it will only get 1 update in its lifetime. So, it essentially means like you are buying last year's device which means it will only able to last about 1 more year in terms of software support. With latest Project Treble, Google is working to make it easier to push android updates and if a device is not running latest one, I think pushing updates to it will even be harder as well, so it just makes no sense to not have the latest version.

In addition, I also think in this current days, security is definitely a priority. newer software often has more robust and more up to date security patch. So having latest software would ensure that the device is safer. And while I don't think average consumer cares much about software version, they definitely do care about security. So if a device has older software, it may deter people from buying it (not to mention almost all of the review sites will bashing it heavily and will tarnish a brand's reputation).

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Because of the testing and lead up cycle I can understand how a new device might be release with the last OS. Happens all of the time for big plays and small alike in the industry, but I would not buy it if there was not an official press release that the update was coming.

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 4:17PM

Seriously? Why is this even a poll? Hell no. You guys better not even be considering this otherwise your Axon 9 will be an immediate pass for me.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I would not want to miss out on the device's hardware experience, because it's running old software. Especially if it's a device that I haven't had before.

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No way will I ever buy a phone that doesn't have the latest release of Android and I will actively discourage anyone from buying devices with old OSes.

I know that this is about Treble and Oreo making it mandatory but adding in Treble will improve sales, especially this early in the game when there haven't been many devices supporting Treble.

Being the vanguard in releasing new pro-consumer functionalities will attract a lot of sales and attention.

Releasing a old version of Android is not being the vanguard nor being innovative so please don't even consider it.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,635 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

In the case of the development cycle resulting in a device with an older OS, in such a case, any deviation from the latest OS would have to be handled carefully, and in a way that will instill as much confidence as possible in the situation.

For example, stating a reason for a older OS, being clear on what is being done about the next OS, and being clear about what kind of software support a user can expect.
    Because of poisoning of the well be many device makers over the years, the default way of thinking by a user is bad software support, thus those concerns have to be dispelled as early as possible.

If by some reason there is a delay in the release of android 8 on a new device, then it has to be made clear that it would not cause a loss of project treble support.

Mobile platforms have largely been secure, even on older patch levels,because of the heavy fragmentation making it so that it is nearly impossible to create a universally effective exploit.

But with more focus now being placed on lower level hardware and other aspects that will be similar across the vast majority of devices, if such an exploit takes place, and it becomes easy enough to use that it becomes part of an exploit toolkit, then there will be major issues for devices which do not receive updates regularly. Project treble makes it easier for google to push out security updates independent of the device maker.

Without an easy way to maintain security updates, all it would take is for 1 massive smartphone bot network to spring up and do such a massive DDOS that it brings down a carrier for an extended period of time. That would cause sweeping changes of carriers deciding to simply block devices no longer receiving security updates from connecting to their network, or at least not accessing LTE.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,596 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I voted no, I want the newest software on my new phone.

• 14blank4014blank40 CanadaPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think most people would expect that a new phone comes with the newest software possible

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,812 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 5:51PM

Depends on when it's released. If Google puts out a new OS version, I say it's still acceptable to use the previous OS version for 3-4 months for devices that were already planned to be released shortly after Google's announcement. However, the OEM must be clear up front on software update policy on getting the new version in a timely manner. Otherwise, past that time range, it's expected that a new device come with current software.

• coolbud86coolbud86 United StatesPosts: 64 ✭✭✭✭✭

its not worth the purchase because they are putting the new 0s in the next year phones that come out so unless the upgrade is 100 pecent going out to all phones on the previous Os but i would not buy a new device because youll never catch up and its important to keep up with the future . if they didnt change the OS every year I could see it being a good I deal but to remain behind each year because google is always moving and if you are selling it with old version you must drop your sales price . each new phone should have updated software and security patch so you can get the updates. not even for a back up phone.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,815 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I may comment more later on when I have more time, but there is only one word to convey my precise opinion on this matter at the moment.

NO!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!

For the love of all things holy... NOoooooo...!

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I am one of the odd one that might be willing to buy a device with older software, e.g. Android Oreo is out, but new device is still using Nougat.; As long as there's a promise of updating to the newer software in the coming month(s), i think I'll be fine. I know most of us in this community will always want the newest, especially if a new device is coming out... But if the new device has been optimized well with the older software and promise to be updated at a later date, I can trust it.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,815 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@runtohell121 said:
    I guess I am one of the odd one that might be willing to buy a device with older software, e.g. Android Oreo is out, but new device is still using Nougat.; As long as there's a promise of updating to the newer software in the coming month(s), i think I'll be fine. I know most of us in this community will always want the newest, especially if a new device is coming out... But if the new device has been optimized well with the older software and promise to be updated at a later date, I can trust it.

FWIW, I am also one who doesn't always care about the latest and greatest features unless they seem to be in line with my specific needs, especially since most of those kinds of features demand a higher price point, and if I'm not using those features frequently, then I feel I'm overpaying for features I don't need.

Specifically in this example we are talking about the operating system, and if it were the same as going from something like Marshmallow to Lollipop I would agree with you, but with Oreo we have to consider Project Treble,
    and I feel it's very important for ZTE's next flagship device to be released WITH Oreo OS, because...
    If they release the device with Nougat and then upgrade it to Oreo, they don't have to include Treble,
    but if they release the device with Oreo, Google sanctions the OEM to include Treble.

https://source.android.com/devices/architecture/treble

https://www.androidauthority.com/project-treble-818225/

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally like having new software. To me, it seems a little counter productive to ship new hardware with older software. I feel it's important in this day and age where security updates are more important than ever.

This discussion has been closed.