Does anyone have a recommendation for an antenna for a wireless hotspot?

jmotlaghjmotlagh Austin, TXPosts: 1

I have an MF920VS, and sometimes find myself in a low LTE coverage area.

Answers

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,635 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2018 3:57PM

For now, avoid getting an antenna until we can find more details on the exact antenna connector is being used.

PS, when dealing RF, it is best to have the shortest possible coax connection as line losses are very high for RF.

A high gain antenna + a long cable will perform worse than just the internal antenna.

Also, most devices like this, have specially designed base stations which provide a higher gain antenna.

Buying an individual antenna is often bad since they are typically overpriced (especially when advertised for a specific type of device), and you need 2 of them.

I will see if I can find a better solution to an external antenna.

Beyond that, for now, I recommend checking what the reported signal strength is. Now all throughput issues are due to a weak signal, in many cases the slow speeds are due to a congested tower.

When it comes to antennas, always purchase based on the connector type, and frequency range supported by the antenna, you will often get an antenna for a tiny fraction of the price that will perform better, especially if you can get a short coax, or better yet, one with no cable and use a hard adapter to directly attach the antenna to the device.

If the issue is due to a weak signal, then the frequency support we need, as well as the gain we need to beat are as follows.

The only difficulty now is that they did not list the exact antenna connector being used on the device.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,635 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2018 6:46PM

Hmm, I can't seem to find any documentation on the plug type.

Can you take a picture of the front of the plug and along with the image, provide me with either a measurement of the diameter of the plug, or if you do not have any calipers, take a 3.5mm headphone plug and compare its size to that of the antenna connector, I want to know if it is the same width, slightly thinner, or much thinner (like 50% thinner)?

This will help in tracking down which connector type it is using.