Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.


You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.


After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.


Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Which design would you prefer for updating the systems apps to the latest version?

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited StatesPosts: 4,019 admin
edited January 25, 2018 8:41PM in Consumer Lab

Consumer Lab would like to learn about which design you would prefer for updating the systems apps. When a new version of a system app is available, there will be a red icon displayed on the system's app icon, in order to prompt users to update to the newest version, as shown in the photo.

Which one of the two different ways to handle this notification, described below do you prefer and why?

Please feel free to share your thoughts with us.

Which design would you prefer for updating the systems apps to the latest version? 51 votes

The icon will always display on the systems app until user complete the update. This prompts the user to update to the newest version as soon as possible.
31% 16 votes
The red notification icon will disappear if the user chooses to delay the update.
43% 22 votes
Either A or B is fine for me.
25% 13 votes
«1

Comments

  • DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2018 7:12PM

    I chose "either A or B". Quite honestly I would never have an app shortcut like that on my home page, so I would never see the reminder anyway. I'd prefer to see a notification on my notification bar, then choose to get reminded or not reminded in the same manner, or choose to turn the notification of it off all together.

  • razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I would prefer having it go away if the update is delayed. my reasoning for this is because in the unlikely case that an update causes a random issue with the app, the user can have avoid the update for a while without the dot always being there, egging them on to update.

  • jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,069 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I have a question about this poll, why would these show up in the first place? Do they show up in the Play Store as updates? I thought the only 2 ways to update a system app was either through the Play Store or a system update.

    If that's the case shouldn't there be a notification like all Play Store updates or a system update notification? Which completely negates the reason for having a little red dot notifying us of a system app update.

  • ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,615 mod

    I don't mind the red dot, however if I have asked for the delayed install, I prefer that the dot not remain.

  • TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2018 9:06PM

    @sshasan Are the system apps going to start being made available through the Play Store?
    If they are not going to be made available for update through the Play Store, then how and where would the updates be coming from? Would it be through the ZTE Market, or a ZTE server etc??

    If they are available through the Play Store then the notifications would be redundant due to being notified via the Play Store to begin with.

    I'm with @jasone and his exact line of thinking. Up until this point the system apps have been updated via system update, so I'm confused ...

    Hmmm
    Just wondering out loud but could this be a Treble related poll?? Would Treble allow system app updates to be pushed to a device in this manner??

    Answer
    "B" I would like to be able to dismiss the notification, and be able to select at which interval I would be reminded about it, and would also like the option to dismiss the notification permanently without being reminded about it.

  • runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm going with B... Rather have it go away once user decides to delay it instead of being a pest about updating. Maybe have a reminder every few days to remind the user to update the software, but just having a solid red badge icon can be annoying once the user though opening the updater/app will dismiss it, but it doesn't.

  • coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I choose "A or B" because if a user chooses not to update the notification should go away......

    But.....

    If a user dies chooses to delay then the notification should display again after 5 or 10 days

  • samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I probably would prefer B though I can see that if the red dot disappears people may not always remember to update the app. So, i think maybe we can have B if user decided to dismiss the notification. However, the red dot i the setting will stay (and provide user an option to disable it if they choose so) where if there is a pending app that need to be updated, the red dot will stay just on the setting to remind users where if they tap the setting, the app section would indicate the are apps need to be updated.

  • fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,251 mod

    I chose to have the red dot disappear if not selected to update but agree with @DoppelgangerD and would rather just see the option in the notification bar. Keeps a cleaner home screen and isn't annoying for people who do not wish to update a specific appllication.

  • sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,019 admin

    @jasone & @texasmade1 these would be ZTE server-side updates.

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Either one is fine with me. I rarely have system apps as icons on my home screens anyway. Plus I use a third-party launcher. I may not ever see them anyway.

  • musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jasonscarter said:
    Either one is fine with me. I rarely have system apps as icons on my home screens anyway. Plus I use a third-party launcher. I may not ever see them anyway.

    That was my thoughts as well

  • TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2018 2:25PM

    @sshasan said:
    @jasone & @texasmade1 these would be ZTE server-side updates.

    @sshasan Thanks for the quick response.
    Seeing as this would be ZTE server-side, that does away with the chance of redundancies.

    I would still choose "B", even though I also use a third-party launcher and may not ever see them either.

    But if a notification in the notification bar could be implemented instead, I would choose that over either "A" or "B".

  • TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:
    So many people might not use a third-party launcher if the 9 came stock with the Google Launcher or even better, Nova Launcher. If it came with Nova they wouldn't have to use a third-party launcher because they already would be using a third-party launcher. Lol

    Agree 100%, the Google Launcher would be nice but Nova would be awesome imo..

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Third party launcher or not. How many ZTE system apps do you keep on your home screen where you would see these with the default launcher. I have zero.

  • TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jasonscarter said:
    Third party launcher or not. How many ZTE system apps do you keep on your home screen where you would see these with the default launcher. I have zero.

    I kind of have 1 (stock music player widget), but I would assume most people don't have many, if any at all. Then again you know what they say about assuming things...

  • saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jasone said:
    I have a question about this poll, why would these show up in the first place? Do they show up in the Play Store as updates? I thought the only 2 ways to update a system app was either through the Play Store or a system update.

    If that's the case shouldn't there be a notification like all Play Store updates or a system update notification? Which completely negates the reason for having a little red dot notifying us of a system app update.

    The poll is regarding system updates only and the only way to perform that is in the Settings app.

  • saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I choose A because updates (thinking along the lines of security) are important enough to badger a consumer.

  • As of today, rarely will the notice of an app update is available will be displayed. The phone starts glitching which gives me an indication an update may be available.

  • wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I do not mind the dot, but if they are being updated via the play store I do not think it is needed.

  • TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2018 9:29PM

    @wiseman13 said:
    I do not mind the dot, but if they are being updated via the play store I do not think it is needed.

    They are going to be updated via ZTE server-side updates, not through the Play Store.

  • TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2018 9:43PM

    @saeedted said:

    @jasone said:
    I have a question about this poll, why would these show up in the first place? Do they show up in the Play Store as updates? I thought the only 2 ways to update a system app was either through the Play Store or a system update.

    If that's the case shouldn't there be a notification like all Play Store updates or a system update notification? Which completely negates the reason for having a little red dot notifying us of a system app update.

    The poll is regarding system updates only and the only way to perform that is in the Settings app.

    The poll description states system apps updates not a system update and system apps can be updated via the Play Store, such as the ZTE Music app. It is a system app and could definitely be updated via the Play Store if ZTE wanted to go that route.
    But the updates will come via ZTE server-side, rather than the Play Store.

  • saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @texasmade1 said:

    @saeedted said:

    @jasone said:
    I have a question about this poll, why would these show up in the first place? Do they show up in the Play Store as updates? I thought the only 2 ways to update a system app was either through the Play Store or a system update.

    If that's the case shouldn't there be a notification like all Play Store updates or a system update notification? Which completely negates the reason for having a little red dot notifying us of a system app update.

    The poll is regarding system updates only and the only way to perform that is in the Settings app.

    The poll description states system apps updates not a system update and system apps can be updated via the Play Store, such as the ZTE Music app. It is a system app and could definitely be updated via the Play Store if ZTE wanted to go that route.
    But the updates will come via ZTE server-side, rather than the Play Store.

    I see-in that case I am in the same position of confusion as jasone. The original method of bundling the notification with Play store is a solid method. I wouldn't bother then with the app notification.

  • frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    sometimes I wish to delay update, but still want to be notified that it is pending.

  • TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @frodriguez2010 I haven't seen you around much lately, glad to see you back 😉

  • frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 9:38AM

    Yeah been looking and testing some cryptocurrency leads as well as working on my youtube channel.
    I'm still here @texasmade1 ;-)

  • TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @frodriguez2010 said:
    Yeah been looking and testing some cryptocurrency leads as well as working on my youtube channel.

    Good luck on those leads my friend and continued success on your YouTube channel.

    Sorry for the off topic Mods

  • hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I chose either A or B. I don't really care if it's only for system app updates. I use Nova Prime anyway and I would assume this would not be compatible anyway. I disable many of the system apps to begin with, things like Browser, calendar, email, default messaging, my voice, etc. There are better apps for these system apps available, and i take advantage of those. So for me and my usage, it doesn't matter much either way.

This discussion has been closed.