Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Would you purchase a new unlocked device that's still running on the previous generation Android OS?

Comments

• jjnitzhjjnitzh Michigan USAPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

Primary reason for my purchase of the Axon 7 was that it looked like ZTE was on top of updating regularly. Security updates to me are CRITICAL!! I will not be looking at the 9 unless things start getting back on track with updates. I would be more inclined to wait on switching phone until an update was released. I would MUCH prefer a plain vanilla android that got monthly updates over a customized build that gets irregular updates.

• jjnitzhjjnitzh Michigan USAPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

UGH. I guess that's not that clear. I don't care about OS release as much as patch level. If I have the latest security patches and they are updated regularly, or I have a mechanism to update myself (unlocked boot loader) then I don't care if it's Nougat, Oreo, or Pineapple.

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2018 3:12PM

This is also assuming that the unlocked device is bootloader unlocked and that lineage would actually work good on it. If ZTE can provide support to lineage developers with proprietary drivers and help with any proprietary code then I wouldn't give a crap what version of Android it has. The support has to be better than the Axon 7 though. Lineage still is not up to par with stock in terms of battery life and Dolby Atmos is not working. Camera2 API support is definitely needed

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

I don't think "average people" are given enough credit in this area. I really think most people are tech savvy to some degree, or most discuss phone options and deals while in store. I would think most consumers are smart enough to understand "outdated OS" "older OS." I'd be really surprised if a sales person didn't mention which android version is current, or try to upsell to a device that is using the latest. It isn't rocket science, and even those that may not be as excited about tech as we are, are going to know that outdated software should not be on a brand new phone.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jjnitzh said:
    Primary reason for my purchase of the Axon 7 was that it looked like ZTE was on top of updating regularly. Security updates to me are CRITICAL!! I will not be looking at the 9 unless things start getting back on track with updates. I would be more inclined to wait on switching phone until an update was released. I would MUCH prefer a plain vanilla android that got monthly updates over a customized build that gets irregular updates.

https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/52369/software-update-axon-7-a2017u-now-on-b35

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@freeza said:
    This is also assuming that the unlocked device is bootloader unlocked and that lineage would actually work good on it. If ZTE can provide support to lineage developers with proprietary drivers and help with any proprietary code then I wouldn't give a crap what version of Android it has. The support has to be better than the Axon 7 though. Lineage still is not up to par with stock in terms of battery life and Dolby Atmos is not working. Camera2 API support is definitely needed

@freeza I don't know if you are talking about phones in general but on my A7 running Lineage I didn't have worse battery life compared to my stock A7. The speakers sound the same also. You're right about the Camera2 API support.

Judging by my own experience as well as many comments from the official lineage thread and the hangout group, I'm gonna stand by my original statement. The battery life on lineage is a great deal worse than stock and dolby atmos simply doesn't work.

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@freeza said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@freeza said:

@freeza I don't know if you are talking about phones in general but on my A7 running Lineage I didn't have worse battery life compared to my stock A7. The speakers sound the same also. You're right about the Camera2 API support.

Judging by my own experience as well as many comments from the official lineage thread and the hangout group, I'm gonna stand by my original statement. The battery life on lineage is a great deal worse than stock and dolby atmos simply doesn't work.

I'm not doubting you @freeza you know more about it than I do.

Weirdly enough, he's actually right. I've talked with quite a fair bit of people on the /r/Axon 7 Discord server and they've all had mediocre battery life as well. Sometimes even worse than stock.

I would be interested to see if someone would be able to downgrade to previous versions of stock MiFavor and compare battery life between them because I really feel like the bad battery life is software degradation where earlier versions yield better battery life.

• If I was aware the new cell phone I am considering purchasing, will have an older OS and will not be upgraded to the latest OS ever, I would definitely NOT buy the phone.

• syntapsyntap Washington DCPosts: 216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironbaybeedoll said:
    I'd be really surprised if a sales person didn't mention which android version is current, or try to upsell to a device that is using the latest. It isn't rocket science, and even those that may not be as excited about tech as we are, are going to know that outdated software should not be on a brand new phone.

The vendor upsell issue is a good point @ironbaybeedoll , especially with ZTE usually being at a lower price point. Lower price point for great hardware and software is a better position to be in than the potential (warranted or not, we're talking sales) "this ZTE device is good and costs less, but if you want the latest software and features buy this other pricier brand instead".

Also @jimlloyd40 you brought up a big reason I want updates I didn't articulate, and that is security patches. Given a choice between a vendor releasing a new OS but never updates that OS/pushes security patches, and another that may install a well-tested but slightly-dated OS version but pushes monthly security updates, I'll take the latter. I want security patches more than new features as time goes on, as long as the core software features and the phone's hardware continue to work well. When improvements to feature sets get large then it's time for a new phone. Something like a 2-year commitment to security patches following the sunset date of the sale of the device would go a long way to balancing my desire for an unlocked device.

• Zilla469Zilla469 JeffersonPosts: 1 ✭✭✭✭

I say yes, just got the ZTE Blade v8 pro. Loven it.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ironbaybeedoll said:
    I don't think "average people" are given enough credit in this area. I really think most people are tech savvy to some degree, or most discuss phone options and deals while in store. I would think most consumers are smart enough to understand "outdated OS" "older OS." I'd be really surprised if a sales person didn't mention which android version is current, or try to upsell to a device that is using the latest. It isn't rocket science, and even those that may not be as excited about tech as we are, are going to know that outdated software should not be on a brand new phone.

This says for "unlocked" devices, so there would be no sales person selling this. ;) But for the average person buying this in the store i don't think they care. As long as the sales person says it's the latest then that's what the buyer wants.

I work in IT with tech savvy people all around me and most don't know off hand which version of Android they are using. They know model numbers like Galaxy S8 or Iphone 8 but they don't know software versions. And don't care when I asked them about it. Most responded "as long as it does what I need it to do". And most don't even know about security patches and the major bugs they fix.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,827 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:

@ironbaybeedoll said:

This says for "unlocked" devices, so there would be no sales person selling this. ;) But for the average person buying this in the store i don't think they care. As long as the sales person says it's the latest then that's what the buyer wants.

I work in IT with tech savvy people all around me and most don't know off hand which version of Android they are using. They know model numbers like Galaxy S8 or Iphone 8 but they don't know software versions. And don't care when I asked them about it. Most responded "as long as it does what I need it to do". And most don't even know about security patches and the major bugs they fix.

I work in IT also. And I learned that just because you work in IT, doesn't mean you have to be tech savvy. A lot of people know and care, but a lot of other's don't. People get attached to a device, and they don't want to give it up provided it's still working, even if it's not getting software updates anymore. Still have a few DBAs hanging on to XP and Server 2003 and they yell when we try to take it away from them. Just firewall them off and hope they don't do something stupid. Things get political sometimes and decisions are based on that, and not necessary the smart decision from a technology standpoint.

• Ultimately if I am considering purchasing a new phone, I would like to know if the phone will eventually be upgraded to the new OS before I buy. If the phone will not be upgraded ever please be up front with that information so I could make an informed decision. As consumer I would have more respect for a company that would be more transparent with upgrades.

On a side note, security fixes are not the same a upgrades and most of the time, an older OS will need more security fixes.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a graph from 1/2018. 44.4% still running Lollipop and older versions of Android? People care less about updating than i thought.

• crimsontidebamacrimsontidebama Roswell, New MexicoPosts: 20 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know about anyone else but let's be honest people. There are new phones launching with Android 7.1.1,and Android Oreo has already been released. So, yes I would purchase an unlocked device with an old OS. Especially if the device is feature rich.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2018 9:41PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@crimsontidebama said:
    I don't know about anyone else but let's be honest people. There are new phones launching with Android 7.1.1,and Android Oreo has already been released. So, yes I would purchase an unlocked device with an old OS. Especially if the device is feature rich.

I agree @crimsontidebama with one stipulation. That the phone will be updated to the current version of Android at some point not too distant.

@jimlloyd40 @crimsontidebama I can dig that 👌🏼 #RollTide

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,038 admin

Let's break 100 votes on this poll... Vote if you haven't already and be sure to share with your friends!

• metalrabbitmetalrabbit North Central FloridaPosts: 35 ✭✭✭✭

I'd consider getting a cheap burner phone just to use on wifi, listen to downloaded podcasts, etc. or as a backup or temporary phone even if it had the OS dated before the newest one. However unlocked slightly older model phones were not the ones which I saw on sale for $20 or $10 around and during Black Friday sale season. I think they were locked phones.

• jodymercier1975jodymercier1975 Joplin, Mo, usaPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would in a heartbeat. The purpose of an unlocked device is so I can put my own OS, apps, etc anyway. As long as the hardware was current

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

would depend if there were plans to upgrade to new OS. I know with Ulefone and the Be Pro it originally had KitKat I bought it because it was planned to go to lollipop about a month afterward which they did comply with.

This discussion has been closed.