Bricked Axon 7. How to recover?

kelnykelny ChicagoPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I just got an Axon 7 (A2017U running android 7.1.1) from a friend today. I factory reset it and then downloaded available updates. Somehow the update process went wrong because an hour later it was still stuck on the ZTE load screen.

I can boot into recovery mode, but wiping cache and attempting factory reset dont fix it. I figure it is bricked. I tried updating to B19 and B32 using the update.zip from ZTE support, but get the error "Sorry, you cant sdcard upgrade." I also tried ADB sideload. Got error (adbd status 1) Installation aborted.

It sounds like I need to turn on Developer Tools, but I can only do that when the OS boots.

I would prefer to find solutions that don't void the device warranty if possible.

Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

hi, @kelny

Sorry to hear about your issue. I know you mentioned that you have clear the cache and did the factory reset. though, from my past experience sometimes I have to clear the cache and do factory reset a couple of times to completely erase everything. I would suggest you do do is boot into recovery, clear the cache like 2-3 times. Then reboot into recovery again, and then choose wipe data/factory reset. Then, reboot again into recovery, and choose wipe data/factory rest again. Then shut the phone down. Then start normally with it plugged into the charger. Let it sit for like 10-15 minutes or so to see if you can boot it normally. If not, try to boot back to recovery and do another factory reset and then reboot to see what happens.

I know it's a long process and tedious but it's my own experience that I had in the past that get a phone to boot back up.

Unfortunately, if you did not enable USB debug mode, then you will not be able to install from the sdcard. You mentioned that you got the phone from your friend. Any idea if the phone is still under warranty? if not, then I would suggest you to look into XDA for ways to recovery (which obvious requires you to root the device and void the warranty). Be warned though, rooting always carries slight risk so be sure to read the instruction carefully before you attempt anything just to be safe.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

btw, something just occurred to me as well if that if you happen to have a microSD card in the phone, be sure to take it out to see if you can boot the phone with out it. It is possible that could prevent the phone from booting.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 2,128 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2018 4:00PM

@kelny ,
    If any of the suggestions above don't work, go to XDA and use @benkores Tool and here the steps on how to get to EDL and recovery your device

• Completely power off the phone
    • PRESS & HOLD Volume Down ( DO NOT RELEASE )
    • power on the device.
    • You should enter FTM mode
    • Using ADB type : adb reboot edl
    • screen will be black with no notification light and from there you can start @benkores tool to get back on track.
  • tomhardytomhardy Posts: 133 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@tomhardy how can he do what the link says if he can't access the settings?

He doesn't need to. I've used this several times.

• cf07cf07 CanadaPosts: 149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,. I have been roaming in this forum to learn about Axon 7 or ZTE product. There had been repeating instructions to do

FDR
    Clean cache

My suggestion

Set up A sticky in Learning Resource Thread for each of these methods, so we don't have to repeat.

BTW, it seems cache wipe is the silver bullet for most problems.. Is there any way ZTE can improve the cache management module in firmware.?

Just a thought.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@cf07 said:
    Hi,. I have been roaming in this forum to learn about Axon 7 or ZTE product. There had been repeating instructions to do

FDR
    Clean cache

My suggestion

Set up A sticky in Learning Resource Thread for each of these methods, so we don't have to repeat.

BTW, it seems cache wipe is the silver bullet for most problems.. Is there any way ZTE can improve the cache management module in firmware.?

Just a thought.

Good suggestion @cf07.

I think that @jimlloyd40 has a text file with those instructions that he just cuts and pastes into every post that is having a problem. LOL!

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@stevec5375 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@cf07 said:

FDR
    Clean cache

My suggestion

Just a thought.

Good suggestion @cf07.

I think that @jimlloyd40 has a text file with those instructions that he just cuts and pastes into every post that is having a problem. LOL!

Actually @stevec5375 I need to do that because while those instructions are very useful I do get tired of typing it so much.

@jimlloyd40 : Instead, I think your time would be better served getting ZTE to produce the sticky as mentioned by @cf07 .

• wrbirdwrbird Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kelny Did you ever get you phone running?

• kelnykelny ChicagoPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

No, I never did. I ended up just ordering a new phone...