camera not working

MDC1022MDC1022 Posts: 7 ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone,
I have had my zte blade xmax for 2 months when I first got it ( day 2) the camera would not work you once you open the camera app it goes black then back to the phones desktop screen.

I did a factory reset and then it worked fine until yesterday, now I have the same issue. The stock camera app it goes black then back to the phones desktop screen. I went to google play and downloaded another camera called open camera. And it works great. BUT I still cannot use the phones stock camera as I still get the camera app it going black then back to the phones desktop screen.

I called zte and they think its a hardware issue, But for now it works with open camera. The rest of the phone works fine. I do not want to do another factory reset. Anyone else have this problem?? I actually like open camera better it seems to take better pictures. I just dont want to have my phone to stop working from this issue. Is this something to worry about??

I have plenty of space left on the phone well over half, and I have cleared the cache and cleared the cameras data and it still will not work. I have not added any apps for about 3 weeks so it cant be caused from adding a app. any ideas??

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You've already done a reset of the device and the problem remains, so I can't think of anything else that would fix it,
    and if it's a software issue, we should see more people complaining about the same issue.
    If it's a hardware issue, it's never going to fix itself, but just get worse.
    I'd advise taking it back to Cricket and have it repaired or exchanged if possible.

• MDC1022MDC1022 Posts: 7 ✭✭✭✭

I am beyond my exchange time with Cricket . I can send it back to zte but be without my phone :neutral: or I can go buy another and then send the bad one back to zte and then sell it if I want. I just do not want to be without a phone.. I wonder why the other camera app works

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MDC1022 said:
    I am beyond my exchange time with Cricket . I can send it back to zte but be without my phone :neutral: or I can go buy another and then send the bad one back to zte and then sell it if I want. I just do not want to be without a phone.. I wonder why the other camera app works

Yes it is strange that the other app seems to work and not the stock one, and that normally points to a software/app issue, but if that's the case then why aren't other users complaining of the same thing (?).
    I don't presume to know the answer as I don't have a Blade X Max to test it out, but the issue is strange nonetheless.

I am hopeful that it is "possible" that the software within the stock camera has failed. And that will not affect the phone or cause my phone to crash? If that is possible I will use the open camera app I downloaded from the playstore and leave it be. My phone works flawless otherwise I hope what I mentioned here is possible. I hate to have to go and get a new phone. :'(

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,838 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

hi, @MDC1022
    this is rather odd issue since other app works, it sounds like hardware is okay. have you try to clear the cache for the camera app (open setting-->apps-->camera, force stop it. Then tap storage and clear data and cache). I wonder if the issue could potentially due to the permission as well, make sure you grant the camera to access the storage permission.

I sure did all you described and no didnt work :|

I just really hope the stock camera has a issue with corrupt software and my phone otherwise will be ok.. all else works great..... even the camera works great with the open camera app from the play store

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,838 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MDC1022 said:
    I sure did all you described and no didnt work :|

Not too sure what else you could try here then. When you set up the phone, did you do a restore or set it as a new device? If it is restore then it possibly can be related to that. Also, are you using microSD card? And is the pictures saved to the microsd card by default? If you are using microsd card, maybe take it out and see if the problem goes away. And if it is set to save to the microsd card, maybe try to set it to the internal storage to see if that would fix the issue.

I guess if other camera app works better for you and you can still take good pictures, then I think it is not a hardware issue and you probably can just use the third party app. Of course, if you are concerned, you should definitely get it replaced if it is still under warranty.

when it happened I did a complete wipe and factory data reset and that worked for 64 days , I dont want to go thru that again ( I could ) but its a pain, I also like the open camera app better than the one thats messed up that came with the phone. Also, I did buy the phone brand new from Cricket it was not a refurb.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,694 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MDC1022 Question have you looked at the Camera app in the Advanced Settings? Can you tell me (or better yet take a screenshot) of your camera permissions

Yes here is a pic of it

• lakotawolfelakotawolfe United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

I have the same problem with my ZTE blade z max 982... I have tried everything and still nothing... I don't have warranty on my phone so hopefully there is a solution... I can use my camera on other apps SOMETIMES... But a message keeps popping up saying it's being used in another app or is disabled because of security policies.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,337 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try clearing camera cache. Go to settings->apps->camera->storage->clear cache. Sometime this helps.

• damariush233damariush233 United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭✭

@hollap said:
    Try clearing camera cache. Go to settings->apps->camera->storage->clear cache. Sometime this helps.

ive tried this but it still doesnt work and the same message pops up

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,337 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Then you may need to check what apps have permission to use the camera, and 1 by 1 deny them until we can find which one is having the issue. If you go to settings and search for permissions, you should find app permissions. Go to camera, and uncheck them all but the camera itself. See if the issue goes away. Then slowly add them back in one by one until the issue occurs again.