Widevine L1 Support

2»

Comments

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting reading.

• chavochavo D/FWPosts: 84 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wondering.....with the Lineage OS or other custom roms for the A7,does the OS have the ability to be manipulated to provide L1 widevine? If this is strictly a software issue,could it be added to any of these roms by the developers? DrakenFX ???

It could be one with Oreo, but I stopped hoping for the Axon7. I wish the Axon9 will get Widevine L1.

• ThatonebadusernameThatonebadusername MNPosts: 23 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my biggest disappointment I have with the axon 7

Me also, as there is nothing that prevent it from being certified...

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,111 mod

@jimlloyd40 said:
    If ZTE wants to be talked about in the same breath with Samsung etc the Axon 9 will have to have Widevine L1 and Camera2 API support. Neither of those cost anything. The Camera2 API is just software and Widevine L1 is a free certification. It just takes the effort.

I couldnt agree more that ZTE NEEDS to use Widevine L1 100% , camera2 Api is not as important as long as the software is optimized for the camera on the next Axon. However there is actually a very large cost to both, they both require the implementation of the code from engineering team, testing internally, 3rd party testing, beta testing and certification. Widevine is done by independent labs and they dont test for free, they have to install maintain and deploy the Widevine support for the device. All of this is where a $150k+ price tag could come in

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,111 mod

@jimlloyd40 said:

@musicdjm said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    If ZTE wants to be talked about in the same breath with Samsung etc the Axon 9 will have to have Widevine L1 and Camera2 API support. Neither of those cost anything. The Camera2 API is just software and Widevine L1 is a free certification. It just takes the effort.

I couldnt agree more that ZTE NEEDS to use Widevine L1 100% , camera2 Api is not as important as long as the software is optimized for the camera on the next Axon. However there is actually a very large cost to both, they both require the implementation of the code from engineering team, testing internally, 3rd party testing, beta testing and certification. Widevine is done by independent labs and they dont test for free, they have to install maintain and deploy the Widevine support for the device. All of this is where a $150k+ price tag could come in

@musicdjm I'm not saying to add those to the Axon 7 I'm saying to add them to the Axon 9. Although the Camera2 API could have been added in any one of the Axon 7 updates. That is just software. For the Axon 9 it would not require additional testing if they are implemented from the beginning and would be tested along with everything else prior to launch. I don't know the cost of obtaining certification for Widevine but the actual certification carries no cost as in licensing fees. Whatever the cost may be is spread out over the number of phones that are produced. But like I said if ZTE wants to have what is considered to be a flagship phone those things are necessary to be compared to the other flagships.

Jim everything requires testing from from start to finish on a phone there is on average atleast 3 iterations of a device T1-T3 before going into production. Every thing your adding is getting tested throughout that process. Which all adds time and money, the license for Widevine is free, however not the use and implementation of it. OEMS pay a QPS (Queries per second) fee to access google cloud services (which is how Widevine verifies the digital key) as well as having to hire a 3rd party lab to get Widevine activated, tested and deployed. There is alot more to every decision made by OEMS then just cost so while I believe Widevine is essential things like Camera2 Api Im not to concerned with if ZTE can pull similar or better low light photos than google api

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 7,980 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Jim everything requires testing from from start to finish on a phone there is on average atleast 3 iterations of a device T1-T3 before going into production. Every thing your adding is getting tested throughout that process. Which all adds time and money, the license for Widevine is free, however not the use and implementation of it. OEMS pay a QPS (Queries per second) fee to access google cloud services (which is how Widevine verifies the digital key) as well as having to hire a 3rd party lab to get Widevine activated, tested and deployed. There is alot more to every decision made by OEMS then just cost so while I believe Widevine is essential things like Camera2 Api Im not to concerned with if ZTE can pull similar or better low light photos than google api

I agree with you 100% on widevine. It NEEDS to have this functionality moving forward, even at the cost and time needed to be invested. Everyone thinks there is no cost for testing and implementation, but there is. I didn't realize there was a google fee on top of it as well. But in this day and age, with pretty much ALL devices having FHD displays, widevine is necessary to provide a great video playback experience, to match the audio as well.

I differ with your point on the Camera however. To this point, not one ZTE device has proven to be good at taking low light pictures. Whether that be the sensors or the post processing, they just haven't gotten it right on any device. Numerous articles have shown that Google's camera app, taking advantage of HDR+ and great post processing has improved low light photos on multiple devices from multiple OEMs. Save the money and time on extensive camera app coding and use the best one already out there. The money and time saved could be put to use on Widevine.

2»