ZTE Canada RMA

chppachppa Posts: 4 ✭✭

I realize that ZTE Canada handles RMA through a 3rd party called DF Computers so they don't have much control over how the RMA process is handled but it seems ridiculous.

My Axon 7 is on 2nd RMA for 2 separate reasons, (first was due to some sort of smudge within the camera lens, 2nd is a USB port not being detected properly.)

I had to wait over a month for my RMA and there was no communication until I reached out to them and they managed to replace it for me.

How is it possible for authorized repair centre (pardon my Canadian spelling) that they are ALWAYS on back order for replacement units.

Does Axon 7 have really high RMA rate? Is it DF Computers don't have capability to forecast and properly support ZTE's customers? Is it ZTE that only provide replacement units when needed that is slowing down the process?

Corporate process is not something I care for and I really want to like ZTE Axon 7 as I've had it for over a year now but it's really upsetting when someone else (DF Computer) is ruining overall experience.

Comments

• razor512razor512 New YorkPosts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2018 1:50PM

Typically RMA times can depend on a number of factors (especially for 3rd party repair centers), as they may have a limited number of staff working on a specific product line, thus if multiple device makers are using the same repair center, then the repair team is more likely to have a backlog of repairs. Usually the only way to know for sure is to somehow get in contact with the repair center in order to determine how long of a delay you can expect.

In some uncommon cases, it is possible to have part shortages, for example, if a specific component from a specific production run is ends up failing more often, then tat entire inventory of the part will be effectively useless until that inventory is refreshed.

In the case of DF Computers, they do phone repairs for ZTE, LG, Sony, Alcatel, Acer, Blackberry, Nokia, Samsung, and a number of other brands (including paid out-of-warranty repairs of Apple smartphones).

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 292 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I also live in Canada, but the Axon7 is quite dead. I don't think there are parts for it. Also, Axon7 was quite popular, too much maybe. From what I recall all who had problem with their device had trouble or delay getting a replacement.

All I can hope for you, in the event they cannot fix or repair your phone, you'll get something for the upcoming Axon9

• hyperactivehyperactive CanadaPosts: 24 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2018 12:51PM

It took 2 months for me to get another phone. They come directly from China. I live down the road from the repair center.

• 14blank4014blank40 United StatesPosts: 380 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@chppa said:
    I realize that ZTE Canada handles RMA through a 3rd party called DF Computers so they don't have much control over how the RMA process is handled but it seems ridiculous.

My Axon 7 is on 2nd RMA for 2 separate reasons, (first was due to some sort of smudge within the camera lens, 2nd is a USB port not being detected properly.)

I had to wait over a month for my RMA and there was no communication until I reached out to them and they managed to replace it for me.

How is it possible for authorized repair centre (pardon my Canadian spelling) that they are ALWAYS on back order for replacement units.

Does Axon 7 have really high RMA rate? Is it DF Computers don't have capability to forecast and properly support ZTE's customers? Is it ZTE that only provide replacement units when needed that is slowing down the process?

Corporate process is not something I care for and I really want to like ZTE Axon 7 as I've had it for over a year now but it's really upsetting when someone else (DF Computer) is ruining overall experience.

A month ago when I applied to repair my device, Df Computers sent me an email stating that they didn't have parts and that parts would arrive in about 3 to 4 weeks. After waiting this long I contacted ZTE Canada and had them confirm that Df Computers did have parts available (which they said I'd get an email for... But didn't), and I am now sending it in. So to me it sound like ZTE may not be delivering parts to Df Computers in either the quantity or speed that they need it (probably due to the fact that the Axon 7 isn't in production anymore). It's also possible we both got unlucky with timing.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 775 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@14blank40 said:

@chppa said:

A month ago when I applied to repair my device, Df Computers sent me an email stating that they didn't have parts and that parts would arrive in about 3 to 4 weeks. After waiting this long I contacted ZTE Canada and had them confirm that Df Computers did have parts available (which they said I'd get an email for... But didn't), and I am now sending it in. So to me it sound like ZTE may not be delivering parts to Df Computers in either the quantity or speed that they need it (probably due to the fact that the Axon 7 isn't in production anymore). It's also possible we both got unlucky with timing.

It kind of makes me wonder what is the point of having a 2-year warranty if the manufacturer has no parts available. It is a big selling feature but they are failing to deliver on that promise in a timely fashion.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@stevec5375 said:

@14blank40 said:

@chppa said:

It kind of makes me wonder what is the point of having a 2-year warranty if the manufacturer has no parts available. It is a big selling feature but they are failing to deliver on that promise in a timely fashion.

I think part of the issue here is ZTE Canada. For some reason they have always been behind, even more so than the US. Although i remember early on the US having stock problems as well.

• spacesurferspacesurfer Posts: 10 ✭✭✭✭

I also had two RMA's in Canada. Both were for dust in the camera. I opted to wait for a replacement to arrive and that took almost a month. The second time I got them to send me the replacement right away and put a deposit on my credit card. Got that phone in a few days and its been working well since. The big thing is, when I was having issues in Oct - Nov, I was told over the phone they stopped manufacturing the Axon 7 5-6 months ago! So like what, April - May 2017? I wouldn't put the blame on DF Computers. They're just facilitating stuff in Canada, I doubt they have much if any control. Just remember that the Axon 7 is more of a boutique phone in North America. ZTE might be one of the biggest carriers in the world but how many of these phones were produced and sold in NA? We won't get the same service as an iPhone or Galaxy user. They also pay 1.5-2x the price.

• hyperactivehyperactive CanadaPosts: 24 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2018 3:12PM

They gave me a new phone, they didn't even look at mine

• This is my 2nd RMA and the first one took almost 2 months to complete from the day I submitted the RMA request to DF Computer receiving and refunding the deposit.

I don't want to blame wrong party and if DF Computer is wrongly accused in the first post then that's my misunderstanding. I don't want DF Computer to take the blame because they are end user facing.

With that said, I hope ZTE can address it because it's becoming a deterring factor for me to get the next phone from ZTE.

• amd7674amd7674 CanadaPosts: 11 ✭✭✭

Is the Canadian warranty 2 years old? I purchased the phone from newegg.ca. Does anyone know for the wait time for replacement for regular axon 7? I wonder if they have it in stock. It seems one my axon's have battery issue :-(

• musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MAPosts: 3,104 mod

@jimlloyd40 said:

@amd7674 said:
    Is the Canadian warranty 2 years old? I purchased the phone from newegg.ca. Does anyone know for the wait time for replacement for regular axon 7? I wonder if they have it in stock. It seems one my axon's have battery issue :-(

@amd7674 I could be wrong but I believe that only the US version has a 2 year warranty. I hope that I am wrong.

The Canadian Axon 7 also comes with 2 year warranty

@jimlloyd40 said:

@musicdjm said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@amd7674 said:

@amd7674 I could be wrong but I believe that only the US version has a 2 year warranty. I hope that I am wrong.

The Canadian Axon 7 also comes with 2 year warranty

Thanks @musicdjm I'm happy to be wrong.

thanks Guys for the info :smiley:

• I'm just reporting back on this.

Just day before 1 month, DF Computer emailed me saying they have replacement units available. So now Paypal transaction has been completed and I would like to think I'm going to get a replacement some time next week.

I sent in my device and they've recieved it, but haven't gotten any follow-ups on it yet. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for them to repair and send it back to me as my back-up phones are certaiinly nowhere near as good as the Axon 7.

I got prompt feedback from them:

Dear ZTE customer,

Warranty Center has devices in stock and processing the request according to the waiting list right now. For standard service for $35 deposit, we will issue you shipping label to ship to us first and we will fix/replace it. For advance service for $650 deposit, we will send you device first and you send yours back to us.
    Any further question please let us know.

Do I have to pay $35 deposit? I guess it is service fee? I could sent the phone to them much cheaper via canadapost.

• winjerwinjer Toronto Posts: 1 ✭✭

I sent in an RMA request back in October for the screen and camera issues, and was told I'd have to wait 2-3 weeks for new parts to come in and be put on a waiting list. I never got a response back from them and I never followed up again. I recently fell with the phone in my back pocket and ended up bending the chasis, and busting the screen, so I submitted another RMA request for the Premium Protection Plan. Again I got an email back saying there were no parts available for 2-3 weeks. They apologized for not getting back to me for the previous request, which was still open, and told me they'd keep my original place on the waiting list. They told me to contact them again in 2 weeks to see if there were replacements available. I sent them an email on Feb 2, and was told they'd have units early the next week. They emailed me asking for a new deposit on Feb 5th, and then emailed me the shipping documents once they received the paypal payment. I shipped the damaged phone out the 6th, and received the replacement phone yesterday. I'm happy with the turn around time once everything was in motion.

It's definitely in your best interest to keep contacting them for updates. I would say they are dealing with a lot of requests.

@amd7674 said:
    I got prompt feedback from them:

Dear ZTE customer,

Warranty Center has devices in stock and processing the request according to the waiting list right now. For standard service for $35 deposit, we will issue you shipping label to ship to us first and we will fix/replace it. For advance service for $650 deposit, we will send you device first and you send yours back to us.
    Any further question please let us know.

Do I have to pay $35 deposit? I guess it is service fee? I could sent the phone to them much cheaper via canadapost.

You do have to pay the $35 but it should be returned to you if they find that the device is still under warranty.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@14blank40 said:
    I sent in my device and they've recieved it, but haven't gotten any follow-ups on it yet. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for them to repair and send it back to me as my back-up phones are certaiinly nowhere near as good as the Axon 7.

@14blank40 you're a wise man to keep a backup phone. Good luck with speedy service.

It's more like I never seem to get rid of my old phones lol. Thank-you @jimlloyd40