FAULTY/UNRELIABLE SIM TRAY!

After spending months searching for the right replacement phone, I have made what has turned out to be a terrible decision, and I would caution anyone considering this phone to try something else. ZTE's customer service will not stand by their products!

The Sim tray ejector was basically DOA. I should have been leerier of it when it opened rough the first time. I put in an SD card, and it never came out again. I also took it to multiple indie repair shops- none could remove the SD card. Neither the re-seller nor ZTE will accept responsibility for it. It's a catch 22 - if I remove the SD card, I can't get the phone replaced because they will not warrant it if it is damaged, and if they replace it they won't send me the SD card back. The customer service rep in the same breath said that if he was in the same situation he would be a lot louder and angrier about it than I was being, and also said that no matter what I did they weren't going to anything for me. All I want is my SD card out and a new working phone. That doesn't seem unrealistic to me. At this point, I have hours of wasted time and the cost of the phone.
Not to mention that I don't have access to my SD card with considerable data on it! So frustrating! I would caution anyone from buying this phone- the hardware is nice, but you are subject to this flimsy tray and a company that will not stand by their product. Buyer Beware!!!

Comments

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 15,850 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@meoates1 said:
    After spending months searching for the right replacement phone, I have made what has turned out to be a terrible decision, and I would caution anyone considering this phone to try something else. ZTE's customer service will not stand by their products!

The Sim tray ejector was basically DOA. I should have been leerier of it when it opened rough the first time. I put in an SD card, and it never came out again. I also took it to multiple indie repair shops- none could remove the SD card. Neither the re-seller nor ZTE will accept responsibility for it. It's a catch 22 - if I remove the SD card, I can't get the phone replaced because they will not warrant it if it is damaged, and if they replace it they won't send me the SD card back. The customer service rep in the same breath said that if he was in the same situation he would be a lot louder and angrier about it than I was being, and also said that no matter what I did they weren't going to anything for me. All I want is my SD card out and a new working phone. That doesn't seem unrealistic to me. At this point, I have hours of wasted time and the cost of the phone.
    Not to mention that I don't have access to my SD card with considerable data on it! So frustrating! I would caution anyone from buying this phone- the hardware is nice, but you are subject to this flimsy tray and a company that will not stand by their product. Buyer Beware!!!

I just responded to you about this in the other thread that you posted it in.

• meoates1meoates1 USAPosts: 5 ✭✭✭

Thanks, @jimlloyd40 I appreciate it. Sadly, I am unable to access the SD card- it is not reading it.

@meoates1 said:
    Thanks, @jimlloyd40 I appreciate it. Sadly, I am unable to access the SD card- it is not reading it.

If you can't retrieve the data on the SD card you might as well send it in to get the SIM card tray fixed @meoates1.

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

hi, @meoates1

sorry to hear about your issue. I did have issue with sim tray stuck inside a phone that I have had hard to to eject it. I tried various sim ejection tool and paper clips and still having trouble getting it out. What I ended up doing to finally able to to eject the sim is first of all push the ejection tool into the hole to release the latch. Then, putting the ejection tool/paperclip slightly angled (or you could try to bend the tip of the paperclip slightly so it acts as a hook) and instead of pushing it down toward the hole of the tray to release it, i pull the tray (if you are using the hook idea with the paperclip use the hook onto the plastic tray cover) and see if you can slowly pull the tray out of the slot. I was able to get the tray out of the phone this way.

• fzrrichfzrrich Buffalo New York Posts: 3,964 mod

I have had this happen to me as well on other phones. The ad card wasn't seated correctly when it when in by a hair and was hard to remove. I would try something similar as @samsamha mentioned. I did something similar and with a little work was able to eject the tray. I used a safety pin and angled it while pulling on the tray after a few attempts of pushing it in as far as it would go to eject it. This is always at your own risk and you have to use caution about possible further damage. Sounds like you have a few options to try. Please let us know how you make out. :)

I appreciate these thoughts very much folks, but I have worked that paperclip to death before posting: pushing hooking, pulling, etc... it is not budging. I even talked to one CSR who said "I had the same thing happen to me, I guess I was just a little more persistent than you...." and I wanted to reach through the phone and throttle her, as I have so much time wasted on opening this D@mn tray!!

@jimlloyd40 the SD card works fine, the phone is just not reading it- the data is still there.

Thanks for your help... really don't know what to do since not getting any support from ZTE....

@meoates1 said:
    I appreciate these thoughts very much folks, but I have worked that paperclip to death before posting: pushing hooking, pulling, etc... it is not budging. I even talked to one CSR who said "I had the same thing happen to me, I guess I was just a little more persistent than you...." and I wanted to reach through the phone and throttle her, as I have so much time wasted on opening this D@mn tray!!

@jimlloyd40 the SD card works fine, the phone is just not reading it- the data is still there.

Thanks for your help... really don't know what to do since not getting any support from ZTE....

@meoates1 if you don't want to risk damaging the SIM card tray why don't you go to a local repair store since they have lots of experience with that?

I have taken it to 2 indie repair shops, both told me that the ejector was faulty. According to them, the phone must be taken apart to remove the SIM. I haven't found anyone yet who can take this phone apart. I went to ZTE with this, and the only option they gave me was to return phone and lose the SD card....

@meoates1 said:
    I have taken it to 2 indie repair shops, both told me that the ejector was faulty. According to them, the phone must be taken apart to remove the SIM. I haven't found anyone yet who can take this phone apart. I went to ZTE with this, and the only option they gave me was to return phone and lose the SD card....

@meoates1 if the repair stores that you went to don't know how to take the phone apart they're not very good repair stores. I don't know how much they would charge you but here is how to take apart your phone.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@meoates1 said:

@meoates1 if the repair stores that you went to don't know how to take the phone apart they're not very good repair stores. I don't know how much they would charge you but here is how to take apart your phone.

Just an FYI, the video is for the Blade V8, but the user has a Blade V8 Pro. Different hardware and internals.

Thanks @hollap. Sorry I can't find a video for the V8 Pro.

Any "good" repair shop will be able to disassemble the phone. If there's no obvious way then generally it requires removing the screen.

• msrfrogmsrfrog New York Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

I just received a v8 pro today also with a sim problem. Will not read my sim so I am back to my old phone with a shattered screen.

edited February 16, 2018 12:36AM

@msrfrog said:
    I just received a v8 pro today also with a sim problem. Will not read my sim so I am back to my old phone with a shattered screen.

@msrfrog the OP 's problem is he can't get the SIM card tray to eject. Your problem is different. If your phone isn't reading your SIM card go back to the carrier and ask them to reprovision your SIM card or just make you a new one. Have you ejected the SIM card and made sure that it's installed correctly?

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@msrfrog said:

Please see my comment in the thread that you started about Straightalk and let us know the answer. Thanks!