Oreo Update Speculation

z28camaromanz28camaroman United StatesPosts: 57 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to start by saying that this is purely speculation and educated inferences based on how events have transpired with ZTE over the last year. This is not fact, but I do believe in what I am about to write.

Contrary to what users like "ggreg" have stated, I believe with great certainty that the A2017U will receive Android Oreo sometime between December 25th and December 31st. Here is why:

1. As noted by "Im_Axion" on reddit, a ZTE representative stated that an update is slated for the end of December. It was not stated that it was Oreo directly, but given the fact that the A2017G has already received the December security patch but the 2017U, which in the past has gotten updates before its global counterpart has, has not, I think its reasonable to assume that a larger update with more kinks to iron out is in the works.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Axon7/comments/7gqe0w/new_update_in_the_next_30_days_confirmed/

2. It has been confirmed that the A2017G will receive Oreo in April 2018. That would be 4 months after the A2017U. This timeframe lines up well with the gap between the two with the Nougat update. The A2017U received Nougat in mid-March whereas the A2017G received Nougat on June 29th, basically the start of July for most users. If a pattern can be noted, it seems that ZTE released the major OS upgrades first to the Chinese model, followed by the American model about a month later and then the European model about 4 months after that.
    https://www.z-union.eu/Thread-Axon-7-Android-Oreo-details-and-eta
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/how-to/a2017-nougat-twrp-flashable-djkuz-t3571714
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/how-to/announcement-mifavor-5-2-axon7-t3706097

3. Lastly, it is worth noting that ZTE often remains hush-hush about their phones and updates. I personally didn't expect nor anticipate ZTE upgrading the Axon 7 from 7.0 to 7.1.1, or including improvements and new features like night light, quick toggle api support and the double power button press to launch the camera. (it's gone in the latest build for some reason). It stands to reason that they will continue this sort of support until the proper Axon 7 successor. I imagine they would want to keep the costumers they have happy since they are trying to succeed where OEMs like Huawei are failing, especially in terms of breaking into the U.S. market.

Anyway, this was just my two cents. I eagerly await the Oreo update so I can apply system-wide themes from the stock ROM without root, assuming they didn't remove that feature.

On a side note, if I am correct, does anyone else think it's kind of silly that ZTE releases some updates at the end of the month, almost as if to say they're trying to be timely when realistically they come a bit late for what they are? I imagine they'd use an argument like: "we gave A2017G users the June Security patch in June," even though it was released on the 29th, or "the August Security Patch in August for American users" even though it was August 31st, a few days before the September patch could be released. I'm not complaining, just observing,

Comments

• z28camaromanz28camaroman United StatesPosts: 57 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @z28camaroman that was excellent research that you did. I hope that you're right.

One minor correction though. You're right about Huawei breaking into the US market but changes are on the way. They've been in the US market with their Honor brand and the Huawei phones have been available unlocked for the US, just not through carriers. And Huawei has far from failed. They go back and forth with Apple for the number 2 in phone sales in the world.

I do hope that you're correct about the A7.

Thanks! I hope so too.

edited January 1, 2018 9:01PM

Welp, it's officially 2018 here in all of continental United States and no 8.0 Oreo. My thorough research was wrong. Thanks for making an @ss out of me, ZTE. I genuinely put faith in you and you let me down. It's January, and the A2017U still has not received the December security patch that covered both Blueborne and KRACK exploits, the former of which is months overdue for a security fix, nor the 6 month old OS that other phones in a similar price bracket seem to be getting.

In other news, the OnePlus 3, 3T, 5 and 5T have Oreo, the Asus Zenphone 4 just got Oreo, and the $100 Nokia 2 will get Oreo soon. Glad to see ZTE is taking competition seriously...

• 14blank4014blank40 United StatesPosts: 396 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@z28camaroman said:
    Welp, it's officially 2018 here in all of continental United States and no 8.0 Oreo. My thorough research was wrong. Thanks for making an **** out of me, ZTE. I genuinely put faith in you and you let me down. It's January, and the A2017U still has not received the December security patch that covered both Blueborne and KRACK exploits, the former of which is months overdue for a security fix, nor the 6 month old OS that other phones in a similar price bracket seem to be getting.

In other news, the OnePlus 3, 3T, 5 and 5T have Oreo, the Asus Zenphone 4 just got Oreo, and the $100 Nokia 2 will get Oreo soon. Glad to see ZTE is taking competition seriously...

It's possible that it's gonna arrive within this first week so your speculation may not be off.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@14blank40 said:

@z28camaroman said:
    Welp, it's officially 2018 here in all of continental United States and no 8.0 Oreo. My thorough research was wrong. Thanks for making an **** out of me, ZTE. I genuinely put faith in you and you let me down. It's January, and the A2017U still has not received the December security patch that covered both Blueborne and KRACK exploits, the former of which is months overdue for a security fix, nor the 6 month old OS that other phones in a similar price bracket seem to be getting.

It's possible that it's gonna arrive within this first week so your speculation may not be off.

Considering his timeframe was Dec 25th & Dec 31st, his speculation is off.
    If it's released within the first week or so, he will only be off by a little. Which to me is a pretty darn good prediction... I was hoping he would be right

@texasmade1 said:

@14blank40 said:

@z28camaroman said:

Considering his timeframe was Dec 25th & Dec 31st, his speculation is off.
    If it's released within the first week or so, he will only be off by a little. Which to me is a pretty darn good prediction... I was hoping he would be right

Sorry I meant to say it wouldn't be too off. My bad haha

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:
    Around April is when the Axon 7 will get Oreo. I thought this had already made the news? I know the articles were talking about the European model but the US model Oreo update will probably be around that time too. Maybe March? February? Maybe April or May. Who knows. Time will tell.

That's got to be killing unjustifieddev because I'm sure that he is ready with the Lineage version of Oreo for the A7.

I imagine that it's definitely frustrating for him, especially since his build has got to be ready or extremely close to being ready.
    I guess he could always re-build his Lineage version without the files/source code that ZTE sent him, but that might hurt the trust he has built with them. 🤔

@jimlloyd40 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:
    Around April is when the Axon 7 will get Oreo. I thought this had already made the news? I know the articles were talking about the European model but the US model Oreo update will probably be around that time too. Maybe March? February? Maybe April or May. Who knows. Time will tell.

That's got to be killing unjustifieddev because I'm sure that he is ready with the Lineage version of Oreo for the A7.

I imagine that it's definitely frustrating for him, especially since his build has got to be ready or extremely close to being ready.
    I guess he could always re-build his Lineage version without the files/source code that ZTE sent him, but that might hurt the trust he has built with them. 🤔

You're right @texasmade1 I think that it definitely would hurt his relationship with ZTE. ZTE giving him that prior to the public release is unheard of by any other manufacturer. They should just hire him to do their programming. My A7 on Lineage is the second fastest phone I've ever had.

Agreed. Every tech company ought to have at least one competent employee.

edited January 6, 2018 1:47AM

My final speculation shall be that we may see the Oreo update in early February for the 2017U. That was when the Nougat update was released for the American model in 2017, and Nougat was released nearly the same day as Oreo in its respective year.

Here's hoping THIS guess is correct or that I am being excessively conservative and it comes sooner.

I'm of the thinking that since the Oreo update for the Axon7 is supposed to be Stock UI+, that it will be released later than the early to mid Feb date that the Nougat update was released due to the changes that ZTE will be making. I know that in theory it should be easier to release a close to stock build, however the i believe the changes that are associated with the Stock UI+ will take a little longer to produce. Then again who knows lol😉

All I want is just a nice, fluid, solid build that is as bug free as it can possibly be and have up to date security patches.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@texasmade1 said:
    I'm of the thinking that since the Oreo update for the Axon7 is supposed to be Stock UI+, that it will be released later than the early to mid Feb date that the Nougat update was released due to the changes that ZTE will be making. I know that in theory it should be easier to release a close to stock build, however the i believe the changes that are associated with the Stock UI+ will take a little longer to produce. Then again who knows lol😉

All I want is just a nice, fluid, solid build that is as bug free as it can possibly be and have up to date security patches.

I can't remember where I saw the story but it said that the Oreo update was expected in April. There's been so much flying around in different threads I can't remember where I saw it anymore.

I've heard April as well but like you I can't remember either. An April release would be fine with me as long as it is a nice, fluid, solid build that is as bug free as it can possibly be and have up to date security patches.

edited February 14, 2018 4:24PM

Either way, I was wrong and look like an idiot. ZTE did not rise to the challenge and still won't rectify the problem with a public beta or open letter. For comparison, the HTC 10, the Xperia XZ/XZs and the OnePlus 3/3T all have similar hardware and an official Oreo release.

Feels bad, man. 😞

EDIT: There is now an Oreo beta. I was a day early.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@z28camaroman said:
    Either way, I was wrong and look like an idiot. ZTE did not rise to the challenge and still won't rectify the problem with a public beta or open letter. For comparison, the HTC 10, the Xperia XZ/XZs and the OnePlus 3/3T all have similar hardware and an official Oreo release. All of these companies also have more phones to update yet still got the job done. I really wonder what ZTE's excuse is since they don't have another phone on the market that they update.

Feels bad, man. 😞

Your last prediction said by the End of February......It's not the end of February yet.... Hopefully ZTE will come through.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,211 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@z28camaroman said:
    Either way, I was wrong and look like an idiot. ZTE did not rise to the challenge and still won't rectify the problem with a public beta or open letter. For comparison, the HTC 10, the Xperia XZ/XZs and the OnePlus 3/3T all have similar hardware and an official Oreo release. All of these companies also have more phones to update yet still got the job done. I really wonder what ZTE's excuse is since they don't have another phone on the market that they update.

Feels bad, man. 😞

I don't believe any of these companies have more phones to update, when you take into account carrier devices. OnePlus certainly doesn't. I don't follow Sony much anymore because their mobile division dropped the ball a few years back. HTC also only has a few models now. With ZTE being the 4th largest OEM in the US, with models at Carriers and MVNOs, the number of phone models they have I believe are more than the three you list.

@z28camaroman said:

Feels bad, man. 😞

If that's the case then the weather forecasts are idiots about 5 days a week😂

@z28camaroman Don't be so hard on yourself as you're definitely not an idiot, even a genius is wrong sometimes.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,211 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@z28camaroman said:

Feels bad, man. 😞

@z28camaroman I don't know about Sony but ZTE has far more models to update than HTC and especially OnePlus. ZTE has a phone for just about every carrier plus all the unlocked models. A lot of those phones are similar but still would need to be updated separately. @hollap I thought that ZTE was the third largest in the US and 7th largest in the world. You may be correct but the point we're making is that ZTE has a lot more models than those companies. With regards to an open beta test only OnePlus does that out of the companies mentioned but they also only have a couple of model phones and only one model is a currently selling phone.

Last I saw ZTE was 4 and LG 3, but ZTE was closing in.

It appears I may have spoken prematurely. ZTE is now hosting an Oreo beta. I hope I get in it. Certainly would quell my consternation.

@z28camaroman said:
    It appears I may have spoken prematurely. ZTE is now hosting an Oreo beta. I hope I get in it. Certainly would quell my consternation.

Spoke just a day too early lol, but at least your last theory did come true. And I too hope to get in. I applied for the Nougat beta last year, but misspelt my username as I had just started out in the community.

@14blank40 said:

@z28camaroman said:

Spoke just a day too early lol, but at least your last theory did come true. And I too hope to get in. I applied for the Nougat beta last year, but misspelt my username as I had just started out in the community.

Thank you and sorry to hear that. I hope you get into the Oreo beta as well.

edited February 14, 2018 4:39PM

@z28camaroman said:

@z28camaroman a true Nostradamus in the making 😉

It would be pretty cool if all the Axon 7 owners in the Z-Community got into the beta... I know that's far fetched but hey a guy can dream right 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

@texasmade1 said:
    It would be pretty cool if all the Axon 7 owners in the Z-Community got into the beta... I know that's far fetched but hey a guy can dream right 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

It seems like they might reopen the beta later on to allow more people to join so there's always a possibility....