axon 7 A2017U (B35) charging battery problem (plz help!)

amd7674amd7674 CanadaPosts: 11 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have 2 axon 7s and overall I've been very happy user. No issues, other than a little long wait for last krack/blueborne fix to arrive. Both phones are A2017U with latest B35 firmware. I purchased the phones from Canadian newegg on 11/23/2016 so I believe I should have some warranty left.

Recently my wife's phone is giving us an issue with charging it. It seems (I will have to test it more) the phone will only charge with the cable connected to the phone when I restart the phone. Otherwise when I plugin the cable the phone doesn't seem to be charging. The battery indicator is not changing. I've different cables/chargers etc without any luck. Also my other axon 7 phone is working withe the same setup perfectly fine.

Are there any things I can try? Perhaps battery needs to be re-calibrated (if yes, what software and how)? phone factory reset it?

Please help :-)

Any help would be much appreciated and thank you in advance :-)

Cheers,
Martin

Comments

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@amd7674 Hi, let's start with a battery calibration...(although I am not big on this) hopefully this will help.

The app that I have used is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration

Give it a try then let us know. The last two things that we want you to do is a Factory Reset or if worse send your device in...... But let's not go that route yet.

Please let us know if the calibration helps.

• amd7674amd7674 CanadaPosts: 11 ✭✭✭

Thank you :-) I fully drained the battery, the phone shutdown and its currently charging. The recommended software according to some reviews is not actual battery calibration app, are there any other recommendations?

Also I believe I have 2 years Canadian Warranty, can someone please confirm?

edited February 13, 2018 11:26PM

The full discharge didn't help. It seems after restart the phone won't charge and it won't connect to my PC, it seems like USB-c port is not functioning properly. If I leave the cable in the charger and in the phone and reboot it, it works. Same if I leave the cable in the PC usb port and phone and I restart the phone, the pc detects it. After the phone works I can unplug /replug and it works fine, until the phone is restarted.

I had auto nightly phone power off/on while sometimes phone not seating on the charger, which probably is causing the issue. I will turn auto daily reboot cycle to fix this.

So why do I have to have my phone connected to charger during the restart? if I don't, its usb-c port won't be charging nor it will connect to the PC? It is very weird.... my other Axon 7 is not behaving like this.

Does anyone have any ideas? or is having the same issue?

EDIT: I didn't have this issue on B32 AFAIK. (i'm pretty sure of it)

Ok... so I was wrong. Even without restarting the phone loses ability to charge. I tried to charge it again and it won't to do it, until I restart it with charger plugged into it. :-(

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

While a rather annoying process since it requires you to backup all of your data as it will factory reset the device, you could try re-flashing the ROM using the recovery update.zip file.

This will also re-install the USB drivers for the device.

Backup all important data on your device as this process will erase everything on the internal storage.
    It may also ask you to sign into your gmail account after the reset is done.

This process requires you to have a micro SD card.

Step 1: Open your android settings.
    Step 2: Scroll down to "About phone".
    Step 3: Tap on the build number at least 7 times.
    Step 4: Once the developer menu is enabled, go back to the main android settings menu.
    Step 5: Go to Advanced settings.
    Step 6: Go to Developer options.
    Step 7: Enable "OEM unlocking".

After that is done, download the recovery files https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/b10jeejirsjgbm1/338450B3220A2017UV1.1.0B32(SD card software).zip?dl=1

The link was copied from the official download page here https://www.zteusa.com/axon-7#update It is the B32 package.

Once you have the file, unzip it to a new folder on your PC.

After you unzip the file, you will see a file in there named "update.zip"
    Copy that update.zip file to the micro SD card on your smartphone.

Once the file is on your smartphone, do the following:

Step 1: Press and hold the power button for a few seconds until power menu shows up.
    Step 2: Click on restart.
    Step 3: Once the outro animation finishes playing, hold the Volume up button on the device until you end up in the recovery menu.

Step 4: Once in the recovery menu, select the option named "Apply update from SD card"
    and then follow the on-screen instructions.

If this process does not work, then the issue is likely a hardware issue.

The Axon 7 will not fast charge unless it can make a data connection with the charger, thus things that can cause charging issues are

• Bad cable
    • Bad charger
    • Dirty contacts in the USB-C port
    • Dust/ lint in the bottom of the USB-C port preventing the connector from going in all the way ( the back of the USB-C port of the Axon 7 is black with 4 silver tabs (1 in each corner) )
    • And more rare, a faulty charging IC.

So after turning off the auto nightly shutdown/boot, it seems this morning the phone was able to charge. I will keep on using the "workaround" until it stops working. The "workaround" is to restart the phone with the phone connected to the charger. It seems to work until the phone restarts without being connected to the charger. I will continue testing/observing this and I will post later my feedback. Something is still not right... very weird...

Thank you so much @razor512 for very detailed instructions. I suppose the idea is to go back to B32 from B35 to see if the phone behaves the same way, and if it doesn't try again B35. I would like to stick with B35 for security updates.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 778 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@amd7674 said:
    So after turning off the auto nightly shutdown/boot, it seems this morning the phone was able to charge. I will keep on using the "workaround" until it stops working. The "workaround" is to restart the phone with the phone connected to the charger. It seems to work until the phone restarts without being connected to the charger. I will continue testing/observing this and I will post later my feedback. Something is still not right... very weird...

Thank you so much @razor512 for very detailed instructions. I suppose the idea is to go back to B32 from B35 to see if the phone behaves the same way, and if it doesn't try again B35. I would like to stick with B35 for security updates.

This may be a stupid question but I have to ask it. Are you using the ORIGINAL charger and cable that came with the phone?

edited February 14, 2018 2:33PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@stevec5375 said:

@amd7674 said:

This may be a stupid question but I have to ask it. Are you using the ORIGINAL charger and cable that came with the phone?

I know that you didn't ask me but I haven't ever used the supplied original cable or charger with either of my A7 's and haven't ever had a problem.

The reason I ask is the following video. There are a lot of chargers and cables on the net that don't meet specs and cause harm or just don't work. So I thought it bared asking the question to find out.

edited February 14, 2018 2:37PM

Non OEM chargers and cables can sometimes cause problems. I didn't think I was going to have to get into a big explanation about this. So much for trying to be helpful. Don't you have anything better to do than nanny this forum?

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The main risk with 3rd party chargers, is if you go with the cheapest possible ones, or buy one at an overpriced electronics store where they are selling normally $3 chargers for $20, then the most common failures are due to the construction.

For example, some of the cheapest chargers will use half wave bridge rectification with a capacative dropper to get the desired voltage., thus the shield of the port or cable is literally at 110-240 volts, and it also brings the device to the same voltage, but still allowing it to charge, but then you risk damage when you touch the device and something else that is grounded.

Other failures are ones that instantly fry the entire device, or destroy the DC to DC converter in the device because the company wanted to make the charger as cheap as possible, so they try to make the PCB as small as possible by reducing the distance between the primary high voltage side, and the secondary low voltage side. When that happens, the company may have a distance that just doesn't arc when at 110V but the moment you get a small voltage spike (e.g., to 120V), all of a sudden the initial gap is not enough and your phone or laptop gets a few nanoseconds of full unregulated mains power.

The best way to stay safe is to either use the OEM charger, or use trusted 3rd parry ones with consistent good reviews, and no issues of periodic stretches of bad reviews (which indicated the company experimenting with cost cutting measures, and then backing off when negative reviews spring up).

If you look at the traces on a mains power adapter, you will notice that the distance between the traces increase as the voltages present on the board increases. In the attached image, the white line separates the high voltage side from the low voltage side. Notice the large gap.

Overall 3rd party adapters can be safe, as long as you are not going with something extremely low quality.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@stevec5375 said:
    Non OEM chargers and cables can sometimes cause problems. I didn't think I was going to have to get into a big explanation about this. So much for trying to be helpful. Don't you have anything better to do than nanny this forum?

It doesn't take a 10 minute video about a bad charger used on a Mac computer. No I don't have anything better to do. Thank you for asking @stevec5375.

The point of the video, was to show what can happen when you buy a cheap knockoff charger and/or cable. The device doesn't make a difference. This just happened to be a Mac board that was fried. It could just as easily have been an Axon 7 board that got fried. This was all revealed within the first 60 seconds of the video. You didn't have to watch all 10 minutes to get the point. But then it's YOUR OPINION isn't it? Perhaps someone else might find it helpful.

Thanks for all your help. The workaround still works after 2 days. Also I've tried using regular charger/cable without any luck. Please don't forget I have 2 of these phones, and one of them works perfectly.

DF Computers (Canadian 3rd party warranty shop) contacted me very promptly with all the information I needed and I have an option to send the phone for service. However I don't know what do, if the workaround works should I still send the phone? I would try to factory reset and perhaps downgrade to B32 before sending... hmmm

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@stevec5375 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@stevec5375 said:

It doesn't take a 10 minute video about a bad charger used on a Mac computer. No I don't have anything better to do. Thank you for asking @stevec5375.

The point of the video, was to show what can happen when you buy a cheap knockoff charger and/or cable. The device doesn't make a difference. This just happened to be a Mac board that was fried. It could just as easily have been an Axon 7 board that got fried. This was all revealed within the first 60 seconds of the video. You didn't have to watch all 10 minutes to get the point. But then it's YOUR OPINION isn't it? Perhaps someone else might find it helpful.

I try as much as possible to use the chargers that came with each device specifically. I mark each one one I get them so I don't get them confused. I know it shouldn't matter, but I just don't think you should take a chance at charging a $400 phone with a $5.00 Amazon charger. Just my 2 cents.

• HMHoppeHMHoppe OklahomaPosts: 5 ✭✭

I have also been having battery problems since the B35 Update on my Axon 7. (FYI: I am using the original charger and cable.)

Example 1 - Phone will be at say 35% and will shut down, then when I restart it, I get that it has 1% battery, so I plug it in and the battery indicator in off mode shows 35%... and it seems to charge.

Example 2 - Phone will be fully charged. I restart it without being connected to the charger and I get 1% and it dies immediately. I plug the phone in, and do another restart and then it says 98%.

All these problems started after upgrading to B35. I have cleared cache and done a factory reset (B35 was automatic -- thanks for the instructions above to go backwards) as suggested by Live Chat Guy -- who said that he has personally had a number of folks with the same/similar strange battery behavior with the Axon 7 and the B35 update... "Are you by any chance running build B35 on an Axon 7?" to which I said... "uh, yes... is that a known problem?" to which he replied that he had personally dealt with a number of folks.

Hopefully going backwards will get my phone back to normal.

• wrbirdwrbird Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've had this Axon 7 for over a year now and have had all the updates, even the Marshmallow to Nougat upgrade go flawlessly. This phone had been outstanding. It wasn't until the B35 update that broke things, in my case the location problem. Thankfully I haven't seen any issues with my battery as many have already reported. Due to the location bug I had to downgrade to B32 and thanks to @razor512 help and others in this forum they helped me do that and I'm back to a functional phone. At the time of my downgrade I didn't have @razor512 step by step instructions, so kudos for him to put this together and post it!

edited February 17, 2018 10:57PM

Okay... I took my phone back to B19 using the file on the ZTE Axon 7 support page and following Razon512's instructions. Phone working better. No odd shutting down and when I restart (either on or off the charger) the phone comes back on showing the same battery % as it had before I turned it off.

I have allowed it to upgrade to B25, and am watching it here as well.

Thanks for the help from everyone on this thread!

edited February 17, 2018 10:58PM

2nd update: I was having similar problems with B25 as those that started with the B35: reporting much less battery upon restart, and battery draining VERY fast just sitting on the desk. (Maybe I should have stayed longer with B19 to see if that would start having problems???)

So I updated to B32... it's a bit better, but still not like B32 was before I did the update to B35...

It's possible I can't get back to a working phone... boo!

I would just like to say after limping along on B32 for a couple of months now that going backwards did NOT help. The least thing like receiving a text crashes my phone now. I have noticed that when my phone indicates that an update (to B35) is available, and the phone goes out to try and connect to it that it's unable to connect and download to it... regardless as to whether I am on the cell network or my home wifi network. Perhaps it's crashed so many phones that they have taken it down? I bought my phone from Best Buy so it turns out that it only came with a 1 year warranty. Just after the year, they gave me an update that damaged my phone, and now they don't have any responsibility? I will never get a ZTE product again, and will tell everyone I know to avoid them!