Smartphones with foldable displays are either the next breakthrough or a waste of time, says CNET.

DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of CeremoniesUnited StatesPosts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2018 1:41PM in News and Reviews

"If foldable phones catch on, you can thank an unlikely source."

"When it comes to creating phones that take new shapes, little-known handset maker ZTE wants to lead the charge."

"You can count Lixin Cheng, head of ZTE's mobile business, as someone solidly in the pro-foldable camp. Last year, ZTE released the Axon M, a clamshell-like phone that has two screens and can be opened up to create a single larger display. It includes a hinge and doesn't have a true foldable display, but Cheng believes the design will inspire a new wave of phones."

"I'm confident we'll be leading this way for some time to come," Cheng (no relation to this reporter) said last week during a dinner in Las Vegas, where the CES 2018 trade show was taking place. "We're committed to this category."

https://www.cnet.com/news/foldable-smartphone-zte-lg-samsung-oneplus/

Comments

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Foldable phones are coming, I have a feeling that there will be at least 2 other OEM's that will put a foldable phone in 2018!!

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,615 mod

I am definitely excited to see change coming to our smartphone form.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:
    I may be odd man out but foldable phones don't interest me one bit. Maybe that'll change in the future and maybe it won't but right now I could less about foldable phones. I'm not interested at all. One screen is fine for me.

I wasn't interested until I started using one. The M is by no means perfect, but I understand why people want two displays. It's very valuable. If they learn from the M to make the product better, I think they will catch on. I also think other OEMs will attempt to do something as well, whether that be a fold-able phone or dual screen.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

@westside80 said:
    I may be odd man out but foldable phones don't interest me one bit. Maybe that'll change in the future and maybe it won't but right now I could less about foldable phones. I'm not interested at all. One screen is fine for me.

I wasn't interested until I started using one. The M is by no means perfect, but I understand why people want two displays. It's very valuable. If they learn from the M to make the product better, I think they will catch on. I also think other OEMs will attempt to do something as well, whether that be a fold-able phone or dual screen.

I think you're right. Other OEM's will release foldable phones. I'd say we'll see at least a couple this year. I wasn't really talking about the M though. I was just speaking in general. I don't need dual screens on a phone the way I use it. There's not been one time, as of now, that I thought "Man, I wish this phone had another screen." I just don't need it for my usage. That's just me though.

Same here. A dual screen phone would be nice for an occasional video. The thickness wouldn't be conducive to carrying in my pocket. Also I don't use cases and a case would make it even more bulky. So with no case and the screens face front and back, like the M, the screens wouldn't be protected. And if it's like the rumored Samsung foldable screen phone that's allegedly coming out this year with the screens folding together just answering a phone call would require folding open the phone and it would then be awkward answering a call when it's folded open.

The thickness and weight will come down as it does with any device, but yes the way it stands now the M is a hefty device. I'd love to have device that's a 2 in 1 laptop type design that can open and close both ways. ZTE appears to be committed to this type of design, and said they have learned valuable data and research with the release of the M. Time will tell if this style of device catches on or not.

• rcpgrannyrcpgranny Weed, CAPosts: 1 ✭✭✭✭

I've had my phone for about a month and have found some challenges: More Apps need to be optimized to get the full utilization of the displays. AT&T need to sell the bumper cases as part of the package since they are the only carriers for the phone. The concept is great especially for the mature eyes (lol). Currently the battery doesn't last nearly as long as the spec quote. Yes I would get another one after these things are ironed out. It is better than carrying around an my iPad.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@rcpgranny said:
    I've had my phone for about a month and have found some challenges: More Apps need to be optimized to get the full utilization of the displays. AT&T need to sell the bumper cases as part of the package since they are the only carriers for the phone. The concept is great especially for the mature eyes (lol). Currently the battery doesn't last nearly as long as the spec quote. Yes I would get another one after these things are ironed out. It is better than carrying around an my iPad.

Thanks! That's great feedback for AT&T and ZTE.
    Let them know directly too, as well as contribute to the surveys and polls about the Axon M.
    A while back there was an EMAIL sent out to owners asking for Axon M user research, and there was
    also a new poll posted just yesterday. Be sure to vote if you want to make a difference.
    https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/52428/poll-calling-all-axon-m-users-keyboard-design-poll

• kvmvmkvmvm Mrs United StatesPosts: 3 ✭✭✭✭

quality great. very well constructed. I bougth it form China. 6 GB - 128 GB ($500 average). Languages are only English-Chinese. you will see allways some chinese . CHINA version. needs to download Play Store (youtube explaining it). Some chinese apps can be unistalled. I considere China vrs better than international android. Calls and messages Spam blocker comes with the default apps. Default assistant has a power saver function, stops apps in the background. camera is good but the app is deficient, my wife downloap HD Camera Pro & Selfie Camara from iJoysoft. when the app opens it turns arround automatically to the back screen in order to take regular pictures. PROS: spam blocker calls and msg. assistant improve life battery (supporst heavy use), strong power saver mode. has not all Google apps !!!. 2 screens works perfect, magnify text. loudspeakers good. CONS: slippery. camera only in the front. there is not library for apps, you need to create a folder to storge all you do not use. others launchers do not work properly

it UPDATES to android 8.1.0 security patch level December 2018. it frozen when browsing, but not often, it is not a big deal, the most of the time woorks perfect, it will not give you frustration. it has a shourcut assistant that loocks the screen, sends you to home screen, takes screenshots, shows the open windows. and the arrow works to go back in any app. The line of division between the 2 screens does not bother much to read or to browse. it is beter turns the phone to read in 2 screens, the 2nd picture shows how much magnify the text. I recommend the phone because the long battery life, the big screen (2 screens opened), loudspeakers sound very good