ZTE Blade from Metro closing apps while switching between them

KnsmileyKnsmiley FloridaPosts: 2 ✭✭

I just got this phone 2 months ago and what it's doing is closing apps when I switch to another. For instance, if I'm in Facebook and I follow a link to Chrome, when I'm done and go back to Facebook it has to reload the Facebook app again. It does this for all apps. The most annoying is Iheartradio because if I'm listening to it and I get a call, it totally closes Iheartradio so I have to restart it and watch the stupid commercial again before resuming playback. Never had this issue with the Samsung I switched from. What's the deal?

It's done this since new so no amount of clearing cache or resetting it is going to fix it. No update available either.

Comments

• wings4anniewings4annie Orange,caPosts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Knsmiley I will play with iheart radio and blade zmax and see.
    I don't use Facebook on this phone as the ram is only 2gb, I really don't use facebook, but I do use Twitter.
    I will get back to you

@Knsmiley I put iheart on phone playing got phone call, talked 2 minutes iheart did come back on but it took like 10seconds, which seemed long to me.
    Tried 3 calls in. Iheart retrieved 2 out of 3.
    Then I called a friend with my phone with iheart on and Iheart closed app Everytime.
    I think this is iheart, a friend has the zmax pro and Iheart shuts down alot.
    I will install Facebook and try out

I did put Facebook on phone it worked fine. Went a read an article, while in Facebook then back. Worked fine.
    But iheart radio did have some issues.
    Hope that helped. :)

• KnsmileyKnsmiley FloridaPosts: 2 ✭✭

My wife has the same phone and hers does it too. Doesn't bother her like it does me. My samsung would allow me to open every app on the phone and they would all run together. Phone would slow or crash but it would keep them open. I called ZTE and it's a known issue and they are working on a software update to allow us to chose. She explained that it's key to the long battery life the phone has, it will close apps in the background. Mine does it with other apps as well. The phone will always attempt to bring me back to where I was in the app but most apps will just restart from the beginning. I was using Google Play Music today, got a call and when it finally loaded back after the call it restarted my song from the beginning. So the app did completely close.

• MawizardMawizard EarthPosts: 3 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2017 7:14PM

@Knsmiley I don't know who you spoke with but the problem is simply the lack of RAM on the phone and the only way to fix it is a recall and add more RAM. The Blade Z Max has 2 GB of RAM and it's actually only 1.8 GB of RAM and the Android OS uses about 1.3 GB of RAM so you only have approximately 500 MB of RAM to use. So after several apps have been used the RAM is full and the phone has to start closing apps to free up more RAM so that it can perform the function that you're requesting by opening another app. The solution is more RAM and that's just a problem on budget phones. There's a reason that the flagship phones have more RAM but you have to pay for it.

You don't seem to understand how caching/swap works in Linux or Android. Many phones have less memory then this phone and it works fine. This is obviously a setting ZTE changed from stock Android to be able to get longer battery life. It takes less processing power to dump memory then to write it to cache. Also the 1.8gb VS 2.0gb things 2gb is measured in gib which translates to 2gb.

You'll also notice that when swapping between YouTube and other apps, YouTube will loose your place which is extremely annoying.

• carolinacrown2014carolinacrown2014 United StatesPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's due to having only 2gb of ram. If anyone else says others wise they talking out their butts. Don't care what manufacturer it is 2gb won't do much these days.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@carolinacrown2014 said:
    It's due to having only 2gb of ram. If anyone else says others wise they talking out their butts. Don't care what manufacturer it is 2gb won't do much these days.

You're correct @carolinacrown2014 regardless of the orifice they're speaking from.

Then you should all explain why 2gib = 1.8gb, hard drive manufacturers have been doing this well before IDE drives. This is why an unformatted 1tb drive isn't 1tb. Its 1tib. Also, my statements about how swap works is correct. Android isn't a single process. It's an entire Linux operating system. Not all of it has to be resident all the time as with any operating system. Also if this where true then how do applications stay running on a cheaper phone that only has 1gb of memory. The answer is SWAP.

Well you have a very weird sense of what makes an operating is. It's a linux kernel, has a Linux user space, shell.

Furthermore. If it is in fact true that this phone with 2gib of memory is not capable of running two applications at the same time then you should liquidate all of your assets and invest it all in ZTE stock before it gets out that they can achieve the impossible. Since split screen works just fine.

• TrollfacethemanTrollfacetheman MiPosts: 3 ✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@carolinacrown2014 said:

You're correct @carolinacrown2014 regardless of the orifice they're speaking from.

I can assure you that the ones saying this issue is due to too little RAM are the ones talking out their 'Butts...'

I am here because of this same issue and before you try and tell me it's from too little RAM. I just swapped over from the ZTE Zmax Pro to the Blade. Both have the same 2GB RAM.

I never had this issue at all with the Pro, I could have 30 tabs open at once and an app would rarely close by itself.

Now as OP says, on the Blade I can have YouTube open and go to my mainscreen and then try to reopen YouTube only to find it closed itself and reset. (Extremely annoying.)

Even trying to run FoxFi as the only active app, if I keep the app open but let my phone screen sleep. A few minutes after sleeping the app will stop responding until I unlock my phone and make it "Active" again.

This is most definitely without a doubt in my mind a software issue and not a hardware issue.

What was said by the Customer Service and closing background apps to save battery makes sense here. Though I'd rather have the 'Feature' disabled by default. It is infuriating trying to multitask, and a general headache doing anything else. I'll clear apps myself when I wish to, I don't need nor want the phone to do a rubbish Job of it for me.

Anyways, once again I switched from a Pro with 2GB RAM to the Blade and never had any issue with the Pro but the Blade closes everything as soon as you leave it. Not RAM issue.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Trollfacetheman said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@carolinacrown2014 said:

I can assure you that the ones saying this issue is due to too little RAM are the ones talking out their 'Butts...'

I am here because of this same issue and before you try and tell me it's from too little RAM. I just swapped over from the ZTE Zmax Pro to the Blade. Both have the same 2GB RAM.

I never had this issue at all with the Pro, I could have 30 tabs open at once and an app would rarely close by itself.

Now as OP says, on the Blade I can have YouTube open and go to my mainscreen and then try to reopen YouTube only to find it closed itself and reset. (Extremely annoying.)

Even trying to run FoxFi as the only active app, if I keep the app open but let my phone screen sleep. A few minutes after sleeping the app will stop responding until I unlock my phone and make it "Active" again.

This is most definitely without a doubt in my mind a software issue and not a hardware issue.

What was said by the Customer Service and closing background apps to save battery makes sense here. Though I'd rather have the 'Feature' disabled by default. It is infuriating trying to multitask, and a general headache doing anything else. I'll clear apps myself when I wish to, I don't need nor want the phone to do a rubbish Job of it for me.

Anyways, once again I switched from a Pro with 2GB RAM to the Blade and never had any issue with the Pro but the Blade closes everything as soon as you leave it. Not RAM issue.

Saying that "I could have 30 tabs open at once and an app would rarely close by itself" is still acknowledging that apps would in fact close by themselves on the ZMax Pro.

I have 2 ZMax Pros and there have been many instances (especially when one of the apps was Chrome Browser) where I have had apps close and reload due to the RAM bottleneck that was created by having too many apps open.

That being said, the ZMax Pro is a much better device in my opinion than the Blade ZMax...

@texasmade1 said:

@Trollfacetheman said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@carolinacrown2014 said:

Saying that "I could have 30 tabs open at once and an app would rarely close by itself" is still acknowledging that apps would in fact close by themselves on the ZMax Pro.

I have 2 ZMax Pros and there have been many instances (especially when one of the apps was Chrome Browser) where I have had apps close and reload due to the RAM bottleneck that was created by having too many apps open.

That being said, the ZMax Pro is a much better device in my opinion than the Blade ZMax...

The thing is though if the problem went from mildly inconvenient to horribly intolerable from one device to the next that shows it is a software issue not a RAM issue.

The mild inconveniences was RAM sure, but not this BS with the blade.

I do agree with you the Blade has been garbage. Camera might look better on spec but is way worse then the Pro in about every way. Apps constantly close or quit responding if you switch apps or let your phone sleep.

And I seem to be having an issue that the Bluetooth is trash and everything it sends is as choppy as can be. Overall I wouldn't buy this piece of trash for 30$ again, yet alone the $130 they charge for this hunk of junk.

• vincejrvincejr UsaPosts: 1 ✭✭✭

It's not the ram I came from using a LG Stylo 2 . I never had the problem of apps closing on it. With the zte blade some times you click on a app and it won't even open.

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, TexasPosts: 1,637 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@vincejr what is the Build Number that you are on?

• laecianlaecian TexasPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vincejr said:
    It's not the ram I came from using a LG Stylo 2 . I never had the problem of apps closing on it. With the zte blade some times you click on a app and it won't even open.

Try using the phone in safe mode and see if these issues are still happening. Hold the power button until the menu appears and then hold the power off button on-screen and select yes reboot to safe mode.
    I tried safe mode after having these same issues and the 'recent apps' switching was restored to normal to where I could have 4+ apps open at a time. This indicates that something we downloaded or that is running in the background is using up the CPU/RAM and making app switching impossible.

I just factory reset my phone to see if it is a system app that is causing this issue since they did force some bloatware with the phone such as the metro apps and the Google apps.
    I'll update you if I find a solution for myself.

• pumkinhead13pumkinhead13 CaliforniaPosts: 1 ✭✭✭

I think I came up with a solution for this crap, after coming here and reading all the comments cuz of same issue, I went into settings>battery and then in top right with the 3 dots click on it, battery optimization will pop up, click it, then all your apps will show click on chrome and make it "not optimized" Or any other app you choose. I did it for YouTube and chrome.... YouTube still restarted videos but chrome did not restart my open pages. Hope this helps

• LunarLunar United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

So I decided to take a look in the device options...

• angelpangelp United StatesPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Knsmiley said:
    My wife has the same phone and hers does it too. Doesn't bother her like it does me. My samsung would allow me to open every app on the phone and they would all run together. Phone would slow or crash but it would keep them open. I called ZTE and it's a known issue and they are working on a software update to allow us to chose. She explained that it's key to the long battery life the phone has, it will close apps in the background. Mine does it with other apps as well. The phone will always attempt to bring me back to where I was in the app but most apps will just restart from the beginning. I was using Google Play Music today, got a call and when it finally loaded back after the call it restarted my song from the beginning. So the app did completely close.

@Knsmiley I don't know who you spoke with but the problem is simply the lack of RAM on the phone and the only way to fix it is a recall and add more RAM. The Blade Z Max has 2 GB of RAM and it's actually only 1.8 GB of RAM and the Android OS uses about 1.3 GB of RAM so you only have approximately 500 MB of RAM to use. So after several apps have been used the RAM is full and the phone has to start closing apps to free up more RAM so that it can perform the function that you're requesting by opening another app. The solution is more RAM and that's just a problem on budget phones. There's a reason that the flagship phones have more RAM but you have to pay for it.

The Nexus 5x has only 2 gigs of RAM and it runs way better than this phone, zte jus has terrible software

• twinturboztwinturboz SocalPosts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had this phone for a short while and ram management is absolutely crap. I think the older Zmax was better, wether or not it has 2GB only doesnt matter, my Moto E4 keeps things open and many more apps with same 2GB ram.

• twinturboztwinturboz SocalPosts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@angelp said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Knsmiley said:

The Nexus 5x has only 2 gigs of RAM and it runs way better than this phone, zte jus has terrible software

LOL exactly, meanwhile iPhones even in 2018 rocking only 2GB ram and still have like 8-9 apps open and all live.....

• SaltySalty United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭✭

@Lunar said:

So I decided to take a look in the device options...

Yea, but this developer option is off by default. Turning it on for any other phone would cause the system to do exactly what the option describes, but this phone does it by default. That's the issue.

Seriously, has anyone found a solution to this issue yet? I've followed all the advice laid out on this thread so far and still nothing. It's driving my gf and I nuts. Everything resets when you switch over to a new app, even if we do so for just a second. Someone mentioned ZTE potentially releasing an update to address it and let the owners decide to turn the app killing on or off, but I haven't found anything on this info.

Still haven't found a solution, it's insufferable. FoxFi will only stay open by keeping the screen unlocked and torrenting constantly closes in the background.