Any work-around for PC Connect to Win-10 Pro without using a cloud connection?

Used the PC Connect function almost daily and after going to Win-10 Pro on my desktop now does not work. I do not want my data on any cloud platform like the ZTE Help suggested "Google Drive". I'm hoping it will be fixed in a version of the ZTE OS, but, till then I desperately need a solution - any suggestions?

Answers

• wrbirdwrbird Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@TexasTiger said:
    Used the PC Connect function almost daily and after going to Win-10 Pro on my desktop now does not work. I do not want my data on any cloud platform like the ZTE Help suggested "Google Drive". I'm hoping it will be fixed in a version of the ZTE OS, but, till then I desperately need a solution - any suggestions?

@TexasTiger I just use a USB cable connected from my computer to my A7 then use the Windows 10 file File Explorer and select my phone from the list of drives. From there I can access my internal and external memory of the phone.

• TexasTigerTexasTiger San AntonioPosts: 8 ✭✭✭

That's exactly what I used to do but now it does not work - works using media device connection but takes forever with a 128GB SD card. Support says it does not work anymore with Win-10 Pro???? What version of OS on the Axon ZTE are you on? I"m on V7.1.1 build A2017UV1.1.10B35. I have another desktop plus laptop & notebook - all on Win-10 and function does not work on any of them either!

I'm on B32, had to downgrade due to a location bug in B35. My PC is Win 10 Pro. But I've always used the Media Device MTP option. Apparently you were using the Connect to PC Software option?

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United States Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As other have mention, you don't need anything special just plug your phone and make sure on the USB connection (on your phone) is set to MTP.

That is exactly what I have done - with several different cable types and configurations on 3 other pcs - still does not work and the PC does not see the phone at all. Remember, support says it is not supposed to work now with Win-10???

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I also have no issue using connecting the phone to my PC (using windows 10) and laptop. If you are having issue writing (or reading) to the microSD card, have you try to format the card to see if that solves the problem? Have you try another USB cable.

Alternatively, you could also use a microSD card to USB adapter and then you would able to transfer data faster.

I do not use the MTP option - takes a very long time to update with 128GB full of data/pictures/documents in the phone. I used the PC connect in the past and do not understand why it is not working now? PC Connect is immediate and lets you get to everything easily.

SD card is fine - connects/reads using MTP - too much trouble pulling the sd card in/out plus the micro cards will not take a lot of changing - been there done that and it gets expensive replacing a 128GB card. Not sure why it is working for all of you and not me expecially when support says it is not supposed to work?

@TexasTiger We definitely have a miscommunication going on here. You say that it works when you connect as MTP. That's also how I've connected and it works. @DrakenFX also stated above to set as MTP. But the problem you're having is when you select the option Connect to PC Software, is that correct?

@wrbird said:
    @TexasTiger We definitely have a miscommunication going on here. You say that it works when you connect as MTP. That's also how I've connected and it works. @DrakenFX also stated above to set as MTP. But the problem you're having is when you select the option Connect to PC Software, is that correct?

Yes - MTP tries to sync/look for changes in the almost 150,000 files in 6,500 folders on the SD card. PC Connect works immediate and is exactly what I want to use. Do not know how to stop the automated functions in MTP - still messing with that to see if I can get the functions I want blocking/deleting the stuff that comes with MTP. Have not had any answer from anyone stating that PC Connect works. Thanks a bunch for looking into this.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United States Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@TexasTiger said:
    Yes - MTP tries to sync/look for changes in the almost 150,000 files in 6,500 folders on the SD card. PC Connect works immediate and is exactly what I want to use. Do not know how to stop the automated functions in MTP - still messing with that to see if I can get the functions I want blocking/deleting the stuff that comes with MTP. Have not had any answer from anyone stating that PC Connect works. Thanks a bunch for looking into this.

I found this pretty weird, because MTP or PTP Doesn't Scan / Sync through out you phone.

Do you mind doing a off-screen video for us.

@DrakenFX said:

@TexasTiger said:

I found this pretty weird, because MTP or PTP Doesn't Scan / Sync through out you phone.

When I connect as MTP, like @DrakenFX, it doesn't do a scan.

@wrbird said:

@DrakenFX said:

@TexasTiger said:

When I connect as MTP, like @DrakenFX, it doesn't do a scan.

It is not the scan on the phone - it is the Photo App in Win-10 attempting to "SYNC" the PC to the phone. I have managed to get options changed/killed so that I could force the PC to let me select what function I want when the phone is connected in MTP mode - changed to display the phones folders - so now I get the phone and folders to show up in file explorer like I want. It is still doing background search functions which I can see in Task Manager but it lets me get to the files on the phone. Still not happy using it as it drives my CPU cycles to the limit and CPU Temp high as well (I overclock to 5000MHZ and monitor fully the CPU). Pic is attached. I still do not consider this fixed as the PC Connect function still does not work.

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Why are you not using using the windows file explorer with MTP? it is far faster as it is optimized for the way that MTP works.

MTP has a half duplex connection and only allows 1 files to be accessed at a time.
    All of the normal access methods used by modern versions of android, are based around this since the move to data-media builds where the partition can no longer be unmounted while the OS is running.

The fastest way to get files on or off of a device that is connecting via MTP, is to use windows explorer and simply open the folder containing the files you want, and then copy and paste them anywhere you want. Windows explorer will avoid unnecessary switches between reading and writing on the MTP device, thus allowing for far higher speeds.

@razor512 said:
    Why are you not using using the windows file explorer with MTP? it is far faster as it is optimized for the way that MTP works.

MTP has a half duplex connection and only allows 1 files to be accessed at a time.
    All of the normal access methods used by modern versions of android, are based around this since the move to data-media builds where the partition can no longer be unmounted while the OS is running.

The fastest way to get files on or off of a device that is connecting via MTP, is to use windows explorer and simply open the folder containing the files you want, and then copy and paste them anywhere you want. Windows explorer will avoid unnecessary switches between reading and writing on the MTP device, thus allowing for far higher speeds.

That is the same thing and way that PC Connect works only without invoking any other programs (Photos App Search) on the PC. Have you ever tried the PC Connect method? It is the most direct method of linking to files on the phone - too bad ZTE had to not continue to make it available for use! I have used the file explorer method for years without any problems and hope that they will update their USB driver to work with Win-10 and/or create a PC version that will work with ZTE like they provided in the past.